Pinky Usage...

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Pinky Usage...

Post by Bg »

I rarely use my little finger when playing guitar, except for the classic riffs (i.e. the bend up on the B string then the pinky on the E) I presume this is because the guys I admire hardly use theres and I'm just plain lazy. But since I've been playing Bass, I've noticed I use it all the time, I pretty much do the finger per fret thing.

Anyone else a three fingered guitarist and do you think you suffer because of it?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bluesbird
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Bluesbird »

I'm a ten-finger guitarist. Not only do I use my pinky on my fretting hand, but my right hand as well.
"Under the monsters claws and in between his teeth
Was the shadow and a silhouette of what I thought I’d be
I don’t mind falling down and scraping up my knees
Scars and Stitches always fade and only strengthen me."
- Guster

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

bugger :(
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Richy11
If your 555, then I'm 666

Post by Richy11 »

Depends on the tempo. If it's slow to medium yes but fast no. My pinky isn't fast enough yet.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

yeah I can use it for fast stuff on bass but not on the gat - though it is a different fretting style.

Richy11
If your 555, then I'm 666

Post by Richy11 »

I dare say with abit of training and maybe some torture it'll get into line and start shredding.

MaloS
Stagg
Stagg

Post by MaloS »

hm....i rely on my pinky alot more then the finger right next to it (whatever it is called), alot more useful when having to put it down on a fret more to the right. Also on all of long stretches pinky is a must have. (low e string fret 3, high e string fret 7/8 anybody? )

oh yah and on the case of being 10 fingered guitarist - lier, ur left thumb never touches the strings (i'm on 9, 5 right hand, and yes all 5 equivalently useful, 4 left hand, 3 of them more or less equal on putting down bars)

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

I have no choice - I almost severed my left hand when I was 12 and have never been able to bend my left index finger since. So I've used 3 fingers on my fretting hand pretty much ever since I started playing. Makes some chords impossible to play, of course. eg: forget dim or aug chords etc

However, I think it made me a better bass player, 'cos I developed a 'space saving' style, since my hand span reach is somewhat shorter than it would have been with 4 fingers.

BG - try my little exercise I developed for my right hand on bass. Just use 1 finger only per string - ie each finger is assigned one string and cannot be used on any other string - 1st finger E 2nd finger A etc. Its not much use for real playing, except when you're bored, but its a great exercise for developing the flexibility needed to use all fingers.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

gregtarr
I am Marshall, hear me roar!

Post by gregtarr »

I use my left thumb to fret the E string, and I TRY to use my pinky, but it's just such a weak little thing, compared to all of the others! I can play better with 3 fingers than with 4 at the moment, because mistakes will come in when I try to use the pinky, but I just need to practice more.
"I told you, pedals sound twice as good when they're stacked on top of other pedals" - Mike Einziger

offender
Gretsch

Post by offender »

I do use my pinky because its needed for things I find.
Say with those quick blues trills on the B and high E (min-barring the B and E and using the pinky to alternately play four frets up).

But aside from that I will use it when its convenient to do so because I don't want to modify a shape. Another one is the intro to 'Under the bridge' which is necessary to have all four fingers - esp for the hammer-on/pull-off that characterises parts of the intro.

Also I do use it on the other hand when I do fingerpicking stuff which I do from time to time.

MaloS
Stagg
Stagg

Post by MaloS »

right hand pinky - my dad showed me something fearsome on his classical acoustic...
He shreded with all 5 fingers of his right hand at once (5 strings), 4 appregiate the chord, then the pinky strums back up and the process is repeated on a different chord... sounds alot more powerful then john pettruci shredding (he usually goes on about 3 strings or does a progression of 3 strings at a time for top to bottom)

aaa....i am getting off topic. well...now u know how right hand pinky can be used(and cannot go without it) when you are finger picking through ur mix.

stewbaby
Stagg
Stagg

Post by stewbaby »

Having learned classical guitar as a kid, I am a 9-fingered guitarist, and the left pinky gets used for some of the third finger stuff too.

I also use 5 to grip the pick in a white-knuckled desparate attempt to wring a pleasant noise out of the beast ;^).

BG, I do understand what you mean about the need to use 4 fingers to fret the bass... those suckers are wiiiiiiide.
Stewbaby

All your guitars are belong to us!

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

I use the left pinky a lot, but I can remember I spent a lot of years being a 3 finger guitarist until I started playing stuff that really needed the pinky.

MaloS
Stagg
Stagg

Post by MaloS »

i assume i am off to a good start is I am using the pinky alot already...

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Yep use both - like the LH pinky for all sorts of thing but a favourite is pick the string and slide up two frets on the 5th string with pinky, then lay it flat across the strings like a barre (gives you a major chord form strings 4 down to 2) then pull it off having already put down 1st finger 2 frets down on 2nd string to continue riff. Tapping at the 12 fret, 2nd string is an optional extra.
You can't do THAT on stage!