Heritage guitars

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bluesbird
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Heritage guitars

Post by Bluesbird »

I see Guitar Gallery has a couple of Heritage guitars on Trademe for pretty good prices. At the moment I think they have a Les Paul and 335 style guitars.

I'm very tempted by the H-535. Not too sure about the colour though, chestnut burst probably isn't what I'd choose. The BIN price of $2500 is a bit of a steal though. :oops: I think I saw it in the shop a while ago though, and damn if it didn't look nice. I don't normally like black guitars, but I have a strange fascination with black 335s. Heard great things about their HRW pickups too.

For those of you who don't know much about Heritage, their guitars are made in Kalamazoo, USA. The company was started by ex-Gibson employees when Gibson moved their factory from Kalamazoo.

I'm having to summon all my willpower just to avoid buying this. I really do need a strat first... :cry:
"Under the monsters claws and in between his teeth
Was the shadow and a silhouette of what I thought I’d be
I don’t mind falling down and scraping up my knees
Scars and Stitches always fade and only strengthen me."
- Guster

Richy11
If your 555, then I'm 666

Post by Richy11 »

Yeah I've seen those in ther before. Theres some pretty nice ones in there and you know there going to be well made.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1359 times
Been liked: 2097 times

Post by GrantB »

Indeed - Heritage make quality gear. I saw this killer flame maple fat bodied thing like a massive 50's Jazz guitar...about $1000US...mmmm
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Hey BB - there will allways be strats a-plenty out there for you but the Heritage stuff is not exactly common! I'd happily have one and I've already got a 335.

Go for it lad - you know it makes sense! (especially with that nice valve amp of yours just crying out for another little friend to play with).

We come into this world with nothing and go out likewise - might as well enjoy the interval by scoring as many good instruments as possible! plus it's the ones I did not buy that are the deepest regrets.
You can't do THAT on stage!

Bluesbird
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Bluesbird »

Don't tempt me like this! I already have a great humbucker-equipped guitar, I really need a single-coil fix first. I can't afford to buy gear often, so I have to choose very carefully :cry:
- Guster

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

Good guitars, Don't see many of them around. They only make them to order.
Can't be many of the old gibson boys left at that factory.

That price is about what they are worth. Checkout the ebay prices and you will find they sell for less.

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

Bluesbird wrote:Don't tempt me like this! I already have a great humbucker-equipped guitar, I really need a single-coil fix first. I can't afford to buy gear often, so I have to choose very carefully :cry:
Buy a PRS.. a strat and LP in one.. at about the same price used on ebay.
but i have to agree, a heritage seems like a good buy, maybe the best gibson replica since it was made by gibson employees? and am i right to assume that gibsons made in the kalamazoo plant are higher up the ladder than those made in nashville??

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by philipnz »

Someones been reading too much Ed Roman. The Heritage guitars are no better or worse than any other Gibson copy. Why would they be? Neither the employees or machinery that made the 50's Gibsons are there now.
Never put down to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

good point..

actually ed roman disses almost everything but his own guitars, which are pretty much rip-offs of early PRS guitars..

you gotta wonder why PRS hasn't made any more of those early model configs (2 piece bridge, etc)..

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

Gibson. Keeping drunk sourthern hicks employed for 80 years. :P

Buy the Heritage but don't goaround telling everyone that it is made at the old Gisbon factory using the same tools that were used in 1950. :wink:

Bluesbird
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Bluesbird »

philipnz wrote:The Heritage guitars are no better or worse than any other Gibson copy. Why would they be? Neither the employees or machinery that made the 50's Gibsons are there now.
I should hope not - the modern equipment such as their PLEK machine help make a better guitar, if anything. But what you are saying insinuates that Gibson guitars are better than any copy merely because they are Gibson. Surely what makes one brand's guitars better than another are quality components and workmanship, an attention to detail, and great quality control, wouldn't you agree? If so, why would a Heritage 335 be "no better or worse than any other Gibson copy" from the likes of Samick, Epiphone, or any other guitar in the same style, one way or another?

I wasn't aware that Ed Roman promoted Heritage Guitars - if he does, that alone should give anybody pause to reconsider! :lol:
Last edited by Bluesbird on Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Guster

Richy11
If your 555, then I'm 666

Post by Richy11 »

angry_young_poet wrote:good point..

actually ed roman disses almost everything but his own guitars, which are pretty much rip-offs of early PRS guitars..

you gotta wonder why PRS hasn't made any more of those early model configs (2 piece bridge, etc)..
Who is Ed Roman? and why do we not like him?

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Ed Roman is an extremely opinionated and apparently arrogant guitar shop owner in Las Vegas. He thinks rather alot of himself and his guitars, but tears the butt hole out of any other brand that he can mention.... all the while selling them with a smile :D

Look up his website to see the wads of crap he spins. Much of it is more or less based on fact, but most should be taken with a pinch of salt.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by philipnz »

Bluesbird wrote:Surely what makes one brand's guitars better than another are quality components and workmanship, an attention to detail, and great quality control, wouldn't you agree? If so, why would a Heritage 335 be "no better or worse than any other Gibson copy" from the likes of Samick, Epiphone......................
Fair enough, I should have added within a particular price bracket. Not comparing a Samick LP to a Heritage LP. I think its fair to say that all $300 LP copies are pretty much the same, just as all $3000 LP copies are, give or take individual hype. Heritage LP's would be as good as any high end copy and no doubt as good as any similarly priced genuine Gibsons. Where it is most noticable is on resale.

Mr Roman - http://www.edromanguitars.com

Bluesbird
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Bluesbird »

I couldn't agree more. They seem to be great value for many relative to Gibsons, as long as you hold on to it :lol:
- Guster