Rickenbacker chat

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1358 times
Been liked: 2097 times

Rickenbacker chat

Post by GrantB »

I haven't played many Ric's, but have always admired them for their look, sound and coolness. Mike Campbell can make one sing.

My first experience was in the mid 90's in the store by the square in Palmerston North. It was a dark but kinda bright blue 330 from memory. I thought it was possibly the worst guitar I had ever played at the time. Lacquered fretboard, low frets, weird string break over the nut (clearly not set up right - I remember this distinctly). Even though I was in my late 20's I had only been exposed to my Aria Pro II, my then prized Fender Strat, and a few hideous other things. The Ric was WEIRD! AND they wanted like $3600 for it! Fark that.

Fast forward 20 years and I have worked on a few Ric's now. Strummer's comes to mind as a stand out guitar...did a refret and had to source some specific varnish to do the finger board with post refret. When I'd finished with it I played it and was frankly blown away. It was huge sounding.

Today my 381 arrived. Out of the box it was cool...but not WOW cool. A quick setup ensued with a rising of the bridge pickup (by a lot, using rubber hose from a Mitsubishi Pajero washer system), some sharpening of the saddles break area, heavier strings (11-52) and the removal of the bridge cover. Bingo. Crank the Princeton and we're away with chime, and jangle, but with this carved top, a lot of power and fullness not usually there. Impressed.

I may refret it in the future as the frets, although not worn, are not high.

Quick photo of the 381. I'm keen to hear your experience of Ric's. They are their own beast, like (especially old) Gretsch are...not for everyone, but that is some of the appeal.

"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Re: Rickenbacker chat

Post by Single coil »

I’ve played two, a 330 (360?) - generic Johnny Marr black one with the blend knob, and a 4001 bass.
Didn’t like either, but this was years ago... have since been interested in them but far from my league.
Very nice to look at and other people make them sound good.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2480 times

Post by Slowy »

I love the sound, but their necks seem better suited to mandolins than guitars usually.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Slowy wrote:I love the sound, but their necks seem better suited to mandolins than guitars usually.
I'd heard that, but I have never experienced it.

This 381 is the same width as my R9 at the nut. It's not as thick...but that's not an issue. It actually very much feels like an R0 neck.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 380 times

Post by Dharmajester »

GrantB wrote:
Slowy wrote:I love the sound, but their necks seem better suited to mandolins than guitars usually.
I'd heard that, but I have never experienced it.

This 381 is the same width as my R9 at the nut. It's not as thick...but that's not an issue. It actually very much feels like an R0 neck.
I've hired loads on album sessions for their unique tonal contribution to the proceedings and briefly owned a 360. Have to say I'm in agreement with Slowy. Killer sound but the necks are an acquired taste. Great that you've found one that isn't outside your comfort zone. I hope you still have a Vox or similar to thrash it through . :thumbup:
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 1046 times

Post by kdawg2a »

I've got a black (jetglo!) 1989 330 and it sounds amazing through a cranked ac-15. Funnily enough playing Smiths songs! The necks are thin compared to most but variety is the spice of life isn't it!
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

When I met my uncle Ian (my mum's brother) for the first time when I was 19, I told him I was a guitarist and he fetched his Ric he'd owned since he was a teenager.

No idea what it was but he was a teenager in the 50s and 60s and I remember it being a pretty cool guitar.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 1046 times

Post by kdawg2a »

Beautiful guitar by the way Grant.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

I think the string spread is a bit narrower than it needs to be at the bridge. I’ll have a look and see if anyone has made the alloy Saddles work where the strings are at the edge....be great to have an aftermarket one you could just drop on to the plate

Edit: Mastery!

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 233 times

Post by Delayman »

The only one I’ve played was in a shop and I couldn’t deal with the varnished fretboard. But I was a rosewood-only guy then, so I should try again.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1633 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

GrantB wrote:I think the string spread is a bit narrower than it needs to be at the bridge. I’ll have a look and see if anyone has made the alloy Saddles work where the strings are at the edge....be great to have an aftermarket one you could just drop on to the plate

Edit: Mastery!
mate of mine did that, can ask him how he did it if you want
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

I'll pick up a Mastery in Melbourne next week. Looks to have the 52mm string spread I'm after.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Jeebus.

Never look online after you've bought something. Unplayed 381, with case, $1000 cheaper than I paid and with case, make that $2000 difference. What a futhamucker.

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Mattallica »

GrantB wrote:Jeebus.

Never look online after you've bought something. Unplayed 381, with case, $1000 cheaper than I paid and with case, make that $2000 difference. What a futhamucker.
Buy this one as well and average the overall cost?

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 653 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Now this is my kind of thread!

I'm a massive Rickenbacker fan. I've always loved chimey guitar sounds and the first time I played a Ric it all fell into place. That thing just chimed and roared in all the right places.
Went back to buy that one a week later and it had sold earlier that day. :crybaby:

Years later I have finally ended up with a forum slut Ric 360 :mental: (ex Conway, ex Eruera) and I've been beating the poor thing up for a few years now.

I think the Ric 'Hi Gain' pickup is pretty phenomenal. It's got the single coil chime and open top end but its massive sounding at the same time somehow.

She's an acquired taste to play for sure. It reminds me of an acoustic guitar, where you have to work for every note, but you get rewarded when you get it right. A lot of electric guitars feel to me like they are designed to be easy to play, every note jumps off the fretboard, but that results in a less dynamic sound (or in my hands it does anyway)

i've been meaning to record some demo tones with my Ric, so I shall endeavour to do that next week :-)