Am I insane?

...and stuff

Moderator: Capt. Black

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Am I insane?

Post by Tsuken »

Seriously, you tell me. The chords to the 3rd section of the piece I'm working on at the moment are:

Ebmaj9 | Gmin7 | F13 | Eb13 | Bbmaj9 | Dmin7 | C13 | Bb13 |
Emaj9 | G#min7 | F#13 | E13 | Abmaj9 | Cmin7 | Bb13 | C13

In other words, a progression that makes sense in a lydian sort of way - until the second 13th chord, which messes it up totally - in Eb, then Bb, then E (of all bloody key changes :roll: ), then Ab. Then it repeats from Eb.

:?

I guess the question really isn't "am I insane?", but "how insane am I?" :P
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

bc_rich_
Ashton
Ashton

Post by bc_rich_ »

whataa LOOSE dude
Metal up your ass bitches.

Sicklehut
Tokai
Tokai

Post by Sicklehut »

You are insane dude ...

I know none of those chords you have there :)
I woke up this morning and said to myself
Self what a great day it is for Rock and Roll ...

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

bring back the balls!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Sicklehut
Tokai
Tokai

Post by Sicklehut »

Due to popular demands ...

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

yay! :D
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Sicklehut
Tokai
Tokai

Post by Sicklehut »

I aim to please :D

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Rog »

At least you aim, although quite how accurate you could be whilst doing that is a mystery...
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Rog »

Raf - insane?

Probably, but there's a great bunch of 'jazz' chords in there - George Benson would be proud of you! :)

For us mere mortals, way too confuzzlebubbling.

What the smeg is wrong with I - IV - V, I asks ya????
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

There's nothing wrong with a I IV V ... as long as you make the I a maj9, and the IV a #11, and the V either altered dominant or at least an 11th or 13th. :P

I'm trying to make good on my promise to myself after playing at GANZ and hearing the difference in songwriting between me and Regan; that I would write something a bit more completely (rather than just setting up a basis for lengthy improvisation). The chords actually came out of a melody I "heard"/played, and then shifted around the neck - hence the key changes as well.

Rather than rush it together with randomness filling in the compositional gaps so I can post it soon, I'll keep my promise to myself, and actually finish it first ;)

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

sambrowne
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sambrowne »

We're at exact opposite ends of the spectrum of guitar playing taste Tsuken, but I liked the first 2 chords a lot and then the F13 throws it completely. It never feels settled at all - I guess if the name of the game is shred in lydian or something, it's probably perfect.

Personally, I took the first two chords and added some sexy stuff to leave it in the key of Gm, giving a lovely sequence for some straight minor late night improv:

Ebmaj9 | Gmin7 | F | Cmin9

But that's me...

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

Actually it's not shreddy at all. And I don't even hit the #11 in the melody; it's just fairly straight-ahead major stuff - just in weirdly changing keys. ;)

Here's a messing-around crack at what I've got so far ... "Messing around" as in at least one of the synth sounds (the one over the weird chords) will change; the drums need to change; the guitars are very noisy, and I've decided I won't double the non-harmony bits; the solo is just silly (and I'm not even sure that I even want a solo there - I just threw it in for samicks and giggles); more needs to be written, as opposed to just thrown in to get something down so I could see how it sounds.

edit: this time I'll actually post the link ;) http://www.owen.net.nz/raf/mp3/Got%20My%20Back%201.mp3

(and I'm not breaking the promise to myself I mentioned; this is just demo stuff, and there's no way it's close enough to finished that it would stop me from working on it :P )

Oh and btw, I'm not at any end of any spectrum of taste. There's very little (stylistically speaking) that I don't like - and listen to fairly regularly 8)

Your variation is nice as well 8)
Last edited by Tsuken on Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Here be bloggins

Bg
Site Admin

Re: Am I insane?

Post by Bg »

Tsuken wrote:Am I insane?
hey, you're the expert or do you want the lunatics taking over the asylum?

Perhaps we should go and ask Nurse Ratched :P

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by DarcyPerry »

Nice changes. Had a Vai vibe to it and I like that a lot.

Some smooth speedy work later on too :twisted:

Maybe add a break down?
"It's all a gift... and I have to keep giving it back, or it goes away. If I start believing that it's all my doing, it's gonna be my undoing." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
http://www.darcyperry.co.nz

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Am I insane?

Post by B45-12 »

Tsuken wrote:Seriously, you tell me. The chords to the 3rd section of the piece I'm working on at the moment are:

Ebmaj9 | Gmin7 | F13 | Eb13 | Bbmaj9 | Dmin7 | C13 | Bb13 |
Emaj9 | G#min7 | F#13 | E13 | Abmaj9 | Cmin7 | Bb13 | C13

In other words, a progression that makes sense in a lydian sort of way - until the second 13th chord, which messes it up totally - in Eb, then Bb, then E (of all bloody key changes :roll: ), then Ab. Then it repeats from Eb.

:?

I guess the question really isn't "am I insane?", but "how insane am I?" :P
Now Tsuken - you of all people should know the insane think they are entirely rational. Therefore if you think it's insane, then it must be sane since it would be vice vera if you were truly insane. At leat I think that's the rationale.

The other thought is essentailly to see it as a modulation of I (Eflat), V (Bflat) and IV (Ab) with a sidestep into E to create a bit of interest rather then the same old I, V, IV progression. Harmony rules (don't ee go urp a bloody semitone eh lad!) are only guidelines and can be broken with taste and discretion (or pig ignorance in Country and Western).

If yopu want some extra fun, substitute a IIm7 for the IV (ie Fm7).
You can't do THAT on stage!