shinenz
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Writer & singer

Post by shinenz »

I had a conversation with a bass player who gigged with me a few years back. He was a very deep individual, who never contributed to any of my lyrics, but would always pass comment on them. I was, and still am, of the opinion... My attention span is grabbed from beat & rhythm, only then will I take notice of the lyrics, which may be a year or two later. Hence why i write my songs to fit the melody etc. Ex Bass player contested this comment vigorously, so then I wrote a song there and then, about nothing, using items located in my garage for word prompts. This song to date, is still in my original set list.

Do songs really need meaning, or is it the best we are drawn to
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Writer & singer

Post by Some Bozo »

shinenz wrote:I had a conversation with a bass player who gigged with me a few years back. He was a very deep individual, who never contributed to any of my lyrics, but would always pass comment on them. I was, and still am, of the opinion... My attention span is grabbed from beat & rhythm, only then will I take notice of the lyrics, which may be a year or two later. Hence why i write my songs to fit the melody etc. Ex Bass player contested this comment vigorously, so then I wrote a song there and then, about nothing, using items located in my garage for word prompts. This song to date, is still in my original set list.

Do songs really need meaning, or is it the best we are drawn to
I don't know if they need meaning but they need interest. A load of old random bollocks can be interesting if it makes you wonder WTF the guy's on about. In the 70s, Yes made a career out of singing any old tosh that came into Jon Anderson's head and then claiming it was based on [insert name of philosophical or literary classic here]. In his case he claims he chooses words mainly for their sound value. What they actually mean is secondary.
I really get annoyed if lyrics aren't intersting, i.e. if I know what the next line or rhyme is going to be. E.g. If I hear a song with a line about "wanting" something, then the next line is identical but with "need" instead of want, I pretty much switch off at that point.
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

shinenz
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by shinenz »

Awesome, I can relate to the sound value, and what they mean is secondary. Also agree, if the lyrics are utter crap, then it will leave a sense of WTF was that about. I create the tune first, then basically the lyrics have to fit around it.

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Some Bozo »

That's great, it starts with an earthquake, birds and snakes, an aeroplane and Lenny Bruce is not afraid.
Eye of a hurricane, listen to yourself churn - world serves its own needs, dummy serve your own needs.
Feed it off an aux speak, grunt, no, strength, Ladder start to clatter with fear fight down height.
Wire in a fire, representing seven games, a government for hire and a combat site.
Left of west and coming in a hurry with the furies breathing down your neck.

Team by team reporters baffled, trumped, tethered cropped.
Look at that low playing! Fine, then.
Uh oh, overflow, population, common food, but it'll do.
Save yourself, serve yourself.
World serves its own needs, listen to your heart bleed dummy with the rapture and the revered and the right, right.
You vitriolic, patriotic, slam, fight, bright light, feeling pretty psyched.

It's the end of the world as we know it.
It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

Six o'clock - TV hour. Don't get caught in foreign towers.
Slash and burn, return, listen to yourself churn.
Locking in, uniforming, book burning, blood letting.
Every motive escalate. Automotive incinerate.
Light a candle, light a votive. Step down, step down.
Watch your heel crush, crushed, uh-oh, this means no fear cavalier.
Renegade steer clear!
A tournament, tournament, a tournament of lies.
Offer me solutions, offer me alternatives and I decline.

It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

The other night I dreamt of knives, continental drift divide.
Mountains sit in a line, Leonard Bernstein. Leonid Brezhnev, Lenny Bruce and Lester Bangs.
Birthday party, cheesecake, jelly bean, boom!
You symbiotic, patriotic, slam book neck, right? Right.

It's the end of the world as we know it. can't I have some time alone?
It's the end of the world as we know it can't I have some time alone? and I feel fine...fine...

It's the end of the world as we know it. can't I have some time alone?
It's the end of the world as we know it can't I have some time alone? and I feel fine...fine...
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

I don't give a flying rat's back verandah about lyrics for the most part. I don't know all the actual words to many songs, but I really know the melody to lots. Melody and rhythmic hooks are 90% of getting my attention with a song. There needs to be singing, but I mostly don't care what they're singing about.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

I feel like the words do need to mean something. Stupid lyrics ruin a song for me. While the music backing is what I find myself listening to first, I feel the lyrics are the real deal breaker

shinenz
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by shinenz »

thehenderson wrote:I feel like the words do need to mean something. Stupid lyrics ruin a song for me. While the music backing is what I find myself listening to first, I feel the lyrics are the real deal breaker
OK so for a song that hits home, do the entire lyrics have to have a meaning, that compliments your own feelings? or a signature chorus that has meaning? Yes I agree, stupid lyrics, which are cliche and cheesy, do ruin tracks.

Before the internet gave me the ability to access lyrics instantly, I often got lyrics wrong in songs, yet the feeling and beat over-rode the need for understanding, unless...you can clearly hear stupid unfortunate lyrics.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

I know what you mean, lyrics are sometimes the last thing I actually listen to. But when I do hear them, if they don't make sense or are not to my tastes then it ruins the song

And on a related note, I hate it when videos don't compliment the lyrics and feel of a song. You know the kind, where it's just a cool looking thing but doesn't actually tie in with the song? Ah, it drives me mad

shinenz
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by shinenz »

Yep, music videos are great, my tv's always on C4. I always grimace when I see some cheesy bubble gum band with stupid smiles, that is intended to be a "music vid" as opposed to a creation that enhances the music track. However, I can still remember when TVNZ monopolized the viewing market, and stopped all music videos on TV for at least 18months, might have been late 80's early 90's...somewhere back then! So I can handle the cheesy clips with that thought haha!

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Some Bozo »

shinenz wrote:Yep, music videos are great, my tv's always on C4. I always grimace when I see some cheesy bubble gum band with stupid smiles, that is intended to be a "music vid" as opposed to a creation that enhances the music track. However, I can still remember when TVNZ monopolized the viewing market, and stopped all music videos on TV for at least 18months, might have been late 80's early 90's...somewhere back then! So I can handle the cheesy clips with that thought haha!
I believe that stoush between TVNZ and the record companies was about whether music vids were advertisements for records, therefore the record company should be paying TVNZ for showing them, or whether they were content, therefore TVNZ should be paying the record companies. Dunno what the resolution was.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

Oh really? That's really interesting

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

ash wrote:I don't give a flying rat's back verandah about lyrics for the most part. I don't know all the actual words to many songs, but I really know the melody to lots. Melody and rhythmic hooks are 90% of getting my attention with a song. There needs to be singing, but I mostly don't care what they're singing about.
Same here.

shinenz
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by shinenz »

Jenesis wrote:
ash wrote:I don't give a flying rat's back verandah about lyrics for the most part. I don't know all the actual words to many songs, but I really know the melody to lots. Melody and rhythmic hooks are 90% of getting my attention with a song. There needs to be singing, but I mostly don't care what they're singing about.
I agree, but I would be slightly disappointed if I found out my fav song was singing about "Bush rocks" or some lame arse shit like that

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

The right lyrics with the right vocal melody are important imo, no point having great music in a song if the words make you wanna puke.

As for making sense...I'm Mandy, fly me.
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

shinenz
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by shinenz »

Vorbis wrote:The right lyrics with the right vocal melody are important imo, no point having great music in a song if the words make you wanna puke.

As for making sense...I'm Mandy, fly me.

The right lyrics with the right vocal melody = Classic song, that is remembered by more than one