Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2491 times

Re: The Rockbox Boiling Point Thread

Post by Slowy »

NZTone.e wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:22 am Sam Vilo, I think, does a good demo of one, I don’t know how to put the clip here, it’s 19 minutes long of just playing so you really have to be keen to listen, but he shows how touch sensitive the pedal is, uses lots of different gain stages, and is the clip that really makes me want Slowy’s one!

I’m also a one pedal sort of person, well, one drive pedal anyway, so when I borrowed it, I didn’t notice any issues, and didn’t have the volume problem, or rather, I don’t remember it, selective maybe?
In isolation, you just set it up so it works. It's only when you try to make it play nice with other things that you discover the difficulties.
Truth is though, you actually don't need anything else. (Except a Klone).
Attachments
096.JPG
096.JPG (2.18 MiB) Viewed 13535 times
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Conway wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:08 am
Slowy wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:30 am
NippleWrestler wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:02 am Like most things, it's a modified Tube Screamer.
It is, but that's like saying Grange Hermitage is modified grape juice.
:clap: Quite right, Slowy. Just like the Jan Ray is a modified Timmy.
But it doesn't have the 3 way switch so it's missed the point. :shifty:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Conway wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:11 am The problem with this type of high headroom pedal is that they're quite hard to integrate into a pedalboard because they operate at their best with a massive volume increase. Who needs a 20 decibel boost when adding some dirt?!

Other similar pedals that spring to mind are the Thorpy Heavy Water and every Josh Smith signature pedal ever made (multiple builders).
Thank you. I'm not going mad after all.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Conway wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:14 am
Slowy wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:45 am I always feared that the Boiling Point into a cranked amp would cause detonation..literally.
I think into a cranked amp, it will just cause further tube compression. Into a cleanish amp will be a problem.
I've always feared for my speakers too much to try. But it might be a beautiful thing. Anybody got an amp they're happy to melt?

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Reg18 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:28 am There are schematics floating around the internet which do seem to point to a modified TS but I think the real benefit to a lot of these type of pedals is the ears of the person tuning them.
By changing a handful of parts or altering the tone control or even changing the clipping diodes to LEDs and calling it Plexi mode can yield excellent results. If the builder has good ears that you trust, I’d say it’s worth the higher price to gain another 15% sonically?
I guess a Telecaster copy is a clone in a way, can be built with the same parts as the original but can be heaps cheaper or way dearer depending on the builder and their reputation.
Reminds me, I’ve had a boiling point schematic sitting on my bench for the last year, this thread might be the motivation I need to finally build it.
Seriously, it is a spectacular thing. With mine, every tweak delivers a new tone and there isn't a bad tone to be heard. Soaring legato, Vox punch, Marshall roar, Fender cleans; it's all there at a knob twist. In many ways, the thing is completely implausible.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

MikeC wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:03 am I can assure you all that a Marshall is just a modified Fender :)
I'm one of the multiple owners of the best Marshall in the Country. A JTM 45 which was pure Fender with attitude.
And Toany, to this day, I think of that phone call when you slipped it from my grasp in a weak moment and I wonder what TF happened! :rofl:

And you didn't even like it! Next thing I got was a call from Grant demanding to know why I'd disfigured the cab by writing my name in it.

Because it was my amp and I was never going to sell it.
This place... sometimes... :roll:

:rofl: :rofl:

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

codedog wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:06 am
jeremyb wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:05 am
Miza wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:55 am Speaking of Jan Ray/Timmy clones, I built the Coda Effects Golden Hour and it has WAY too much volume; unity is with the knob at 9am. I don't remember my original Timmy being like that. Any reason this would be the case? I feel like I need to send it to someone to diagnose for me.
My Jan Ray clone is like that too, so much volume on tap!
So is my Klone :think: :eh:
Klone shouldn't be. Ive had 5 variants, no excess volume issues

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Miza wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:28 am
TmcB wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:17 am Timmys have a crapload of output if you’re using the original diode config (original no-switch version)
Ah, good to know. Yeah, my Timmy had the 3-way switch, so a later model.
That's the 'real' Timmy. (Yes, yes, beware of rabbitholes)

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 656 times
Been liked: 561 times

Post by TmcB »

Slowy wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:42 pm
MikeC wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:03 am I can assure you all that a Marshall is just a modified Fender :)
I'm one of the multiple owners of the best Marshall in the Country. A JTM 45 which was pure Fender with attitude.
And Toany, to this day, I think of that phone call when you slipped it from my grasp in a weak moment and I wonder what TF happened! :rofl:

And you didn't even like it! Next thing I got was a call from Grant demanding to know why I'd disfigured the cab by writing my name in it.

Oh, I LOVED that JTM45! Seriously, number 1 amp I’ve ever owned.

It was just the loudest thing in the entire world and I was in baby land so no gold- bearing thing was safe.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

TmcB wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:59 pm
Slowy wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:42 pm

It was just the loudest thing in the entire world and I was in baby land so no gold- bearing thing was safe.
I never fully understood it until I played a Rugby World Cup gig to about 500 people. Suddenly, the amp became telepathic; it reproduced whatever sound was in my head. It was a sublime thing but not, as you observe, at all suitable for domestic purposes.
The only thing that stops me missing it is the knowlege I will never play a big enough gig again.

There was a brief time when this was my rig.. until I got spoken to by my bandmates.
IMGP0070.JPG
IMGP0070.JPG (1.24 MiB) Viewed 13755 times
Ah, the soft plopping of birds falling from the sky.. Wondrous times :D

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

TmcB wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:59 pm

Captain Black also loved it but moved it on because it was a bit quiet. Serious man, The Captain. Not wise to mess with him.

MattAnt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by MattAnt »

The Boiling Point is a phenomenal drive. Have one of the original hand painted ones and will never sell it. Definitely sounds nothing like any TS I have ever heard.

As discussed it has a huge amount of gain and volume on tap, which changes across the three clipping modes. I never had a problem just running the gain low on the dial (still plenty) and finding unity volume. It is a set with your ears and not your eyes kind of thing.

I find it can easily take the place of a transparent Timmy / BB type drive, a mid drive (TS but no mid hump), rat, distortion, whatever
Scarecrow101 on TradeMe

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
Has liked: 514 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Having looked at a schematic, not sure what version, it has a very similar topology to a Tube Screamer but it has been tuned for a different frequency response.
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

FuzzMonkey wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:30 am Having looked at a schematic, not sure what version, it has a very similar topology to a Tube Screamer but it has been tuned for a different frequency response.
I think there's 2 versions; the original hand painted ones and the later production line models. Naturally the interwebz claims they're different but it would....

Never played a production run version.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Here's the factory setting guide. Every one is different, every one is good.

IMG_4356.JPG
IMG_4356.JPG (139.8 KiB) Viewed 13532 times