robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Re: NPD: King Of Tone!

Post by robthemac »

codedog wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:23 am Except for the wait, this thing is in the same ballpark as Duellist, Protein, and various Nordvang ones.
Do you mean in the terms of sound or resale value?
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3493 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Post by codedog »

robthemac wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:26 am
codedog wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:23 am Except for the wait, this thing is in the same ballpark as Duellist, Protein, and various Nordvang ones.
Sorry, I meant purely in new purchase price.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2492 times

Post by Slowy »

codedog wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:23 am I assume there are some forumites who have owned the real thing and flicked it. Could be because the clones are just as good, or to make some money, or both. Am I right? Except for the wait, this thing is in the same ballpark as Duellist, Protein, and various Nordvang ones.
I've never owned an original but I have a friend with one. Based on listening to that, I bought one of Mike's clones. I'm the wrong person to judge 'one better than the other' because I listen to gear in a context. My clone is like my Rockbox Boiling Point; the only drive you need live but way more than playing at home requires.

And no, I'm not claiming a KOT and Boiling Point are the same, the Boiling Point has a far wider range of tones but both are brilliant at what they do.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

codedog wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:32 am
robthemac wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:26 am
Sorry, I meant purely in new purchase price.
The boutique OD thing is getting a bit out of hand. Especially from the new names. Looking at you, 1981 Pedals.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Slowy wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:43 am
codedog wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:23 am I assume there are some forumites who have owned the real thing and flicked it. Could be because the clones are just as good, or to make some money, or both. Am I right? Except for the wait, this thing is in the same ballpark as Duellist, Protein, and various Nordvang ones.
I've never owned an original but I have a friend with one. Based on listening to that, I bought one of Mike's clones. I'm the wrong person to judge 'one better than the other' because I listen to gear in a context. My clone is like my Rockbox Boiling Point; the only drive you need live but way more than playing at home requires.

And no, I'm not claiming a KOT and Boiling Point are the same, the Boiling Point has a far wider range of tones but both are brilliant at what they do.
To be honest, I have never done A/B tests before. I usually have certain qualities I look for in a pedal, and test for those independently. I'm genuinely curious to A/B this one though.

This is probably one of the most mythical of OD pedals after the horsey one. I have no doubt the myth is probably somewhat unjustified, but when has that ever stopped our brand snobbery, eh?

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

codedog wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:14 am
Slowy wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:43 am

To be honest, I have never done A/B tests before. I usually have certain qualities I look for in a pedal, and test for those independently. I'm genuinely curious to A/B this one though.

This is probably one of the most mythical of OD pedals after the horsey one. I have no doubt the myth is probably somewhat unjustified, but when has that ever stopped our brand snobbery, eh?
I've done plenty of proper blinded A-B comparisons with hi-fi gear, and have consistently found that the point of being unable to tell the difference is well within the budget arena.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1316 times
Been liked: 875 times

Post by MikeC »

The thing is, a clone will never be the real thing! Even if it does sound/play just as good or better. Same as guitars. I'm just really interested to know if there is an audible difference. You'll need to blind test them... :rofl: :mental: :shock:
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

Can you post a pic of the guts so I can see the DIP switches. NOTE, mine is not an HG model (which is done with a POT value change so one could modify it to be an HG model). Ergo mine only does Boost, OD or Distortion. Bear it in mind when comparing - my D knob will need to be turned more to get close to the HG side of yours.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

MikeC wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:03 am Can you post a pic of the guts so I can see the DIP switches. NOTE, mine is not an HG model (which is done with a POT value change so one could modify it to be an HG model). Ergo mine only does Boost, OD or Distortion. Bear it in mind when comparing - my D knob will need to be turned more to get close to the HG side of yours.
There's a photo a page or two back. Is that enough, or do you need particular details?

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

Nah, that's perfect. Now I'll show you mine :mrgreen:
Attachments
My KoT Clone.jpg
My KoT Clone.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 2910 times

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1210 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

The magic is in the Ukrainian battery.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

MikeC wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:03 pm Nah, that's perfect. Now I'll show you mine :mrgreen:
Lurvly! What are those two slide switches in the bottom corners?

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

I just realised, they are for switchable hi-gain/standard-gain. So mine is set hi-gain with overdrive on the right side & boost of the left side.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

MikeC wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:26 pm I just realised, they are for switchable hi-gain/standard-gain. So mine is set hi-gain with overdrive on the right side & boost of the left side.
Right, the opposite of mine. Just flip them, I guess.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

I've just packaged it so will leave as is but you are welcome to flip them yourself. Courier booked for collection tomorrow.