ReidySetGo
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 79 times

Re: Show us your pedalboard

Post by ReidySetGo »

I did a little bit of a write up of my Bass/Guitar board on /r/guitarpedals but I thought I'll post it here too.
I'm not sure if the photos are being linked correctly. Here's the link if they're not: https://imgur.com/a/r6duYvK

The Chains

Bass - Boss TU-3 -> MXR M87 Bass Compressor -> Electro-Harmonix Micro POG -> Earthquaker Devices Data Corrupter -> Earthquaker Devices Hoof -> Crowther Double Hotcake -> Crowther Prunes & Custard -> Tech21 VT Bass Deluxe -> Amp (Fender Rumble 200).

Guitar - Boss TU-3 -> Diamond Compressor -> Fairfield Circuitry Four Eyes Fuzz -> smallsound/bigsound Fuck -> Proco '85 Whiteface RAT -> MXR Analog Chorus -> Eventide Timefactor -> Strymon Bluesky -> Amp (Mesa Boogie Subway Rocket).

The bass pedals are powered by a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2+ and the guitar pedals are powered by a T-Rex Fuel Tank Jr both of which are mounted underneath the Pedaltrain Pro. The Bluesky and Timefactor are powered by individual wall power adapters.

Immediately after setting up the board I had to troubleshoot the chain. I quickly came to the realisation that two smaller boards are superior but as I'm just playing at home at the moment it's perfect.

If anyone thinks the board layout could be better, please let me know. I would like to get smaller patch cables but it's not really a necessity at this point.

Pedal Information

Boss TU-3: I think it pretty much goes without saying at this point but it tunes accurately and mutes so it's perfect.

Bass Effects

MXR M87 Bass Compressor: I'm a big fan of compressors for getting a tighter, punchier sound and I really appreciate the metering on this thing.

Electro-Harmonix Micro POG: Before this, I was using a Boss OC-3 (which was also great) but I just love the simplicity of having separate volume settings for each octave.

Earthquaker Devices Data Corrupter: This is one pedal I am definitely still toying with. If I ever started a band where the bass was the primary instrument I think this pedal would work really well. A mix knob or some sort of blend pedal would be needed for it to be used effectively in a more traditional band setting.

Earthquaker Devices Hoof: I love fuzz but you need to be careful that it doesn't take away too much low end, however, this smooth Russian muff like pedal retains the low frequencies really well. I am however very tempted to try smallsound/bigsound's Team Awesome Fuzz Machine.

Crowther Double Hotcake: I think every guitarist who lives or has lived in New Zealand at one point or another has owned one of these for a very good reason. It's an incredibly versatile overdrive going from a boost to a fuzzy distortion with a turn of the knob. The Double Hotcake for me is absolutely overkill but one turned up at a price I couldn't say no to. It is nice having the two flavours of overdrive (standard + bluesberry) as external footswitches rather than internal dipswitches on the standard hotcake.

Crowther Prunes & Custard: My favourite pedal for bass so good that The Datsuns wrote a song about it. It's essentially a distortion mixed with an envelope filter. There is nothing that sounds like this. Juan and JMJ could explain it better than I could.

Tech21 VT Bass Deluxe: This will tide me over until the day I stumble upon an SVT. I have yet to really delve into the additions that the deluxe offers over the standard version but nails that Ampeg tone.

Guitar Effects

Diamond Compressor: The best compressor that I have tried (so far). It's always on and it really adds a nice flavour to the dry signal.

Fairfield Circuitry Four Eyes Fuzz: I feel like this pedal is really overlooked compared to some of their others like the shallow water which is really disappointing. The pedal's 3 band EQ allows you to dial in some crazy sounds. I wanted something a bit different for my guitar fuzz and this was it. I hope more people check them out.

smallsound/bigsound Fuck: I think everything that could have been said about this pedal has been by now. The range of this pedal is fantastic and I find myself using the crackle a lot. I would love to get my hands on an ss/bs Pretty Years as well to go with it but that seems like a pipe dream.

Proco '85 Whiteface Re-issue: This pedal is the distortion sound in my head. It has the coveted LM308 chip and pairs nicely with the fuck.

MXR Analog Chorus: I don't find myself using chorus much but this does the job when I do. It has a fantastic range of features for it's price point and it's blue which all chorus pedals should be.

Eventide Timefactor: More delay than I could ever need. I was inspired to get it after seeing it on Ben Gibbard's board in the Death Cab For Cutie Rig Rundown. I appreciate that it can be as easy or complicated to use as you want it to be.

Strymon Bluesky: Given the board's current layout, I can't help to think that the Flint might make more sense but then I hear the Jazzmaster through it and I immediately change my mind. The shimmer setting is pure gold.

The Pedals That Didn't Make The Cut

Walrus Descent: If I had space, I would put it on it's reverse setting and slap it before the dirt pedals or pair it with the Bluesky and get my Julien Baker on but it wasn't meant to be (unless you pedal magicians can somehow find the room).

Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay: Another pedal that misses out due to space. A nice simple (compared to the Eventide at least) delay which sounds great with distortion.

Catalinbread SFT: If I didn't have the VT Bass Deluxe this would be on the board, no question. It does the low gain overdrive sound superbly and sounds fantastic with guitar and bass.

Digitech Whammy II: I love the sounds it can make and it's footswitches but it sucks tone like no other pedal I've had. Having to power it was an AC power supply aside I'll have no complaints with it once I get a true bypass looper.

Seymour Duncan Shape Shifter: A great sounding tremolo with all the options I could possibly need. The only problem I have with it apart from its size is that it's tap tempo can only be set when the effect is on.

Crowther Hotcake x3: I like hotcakes, what can I say? One has been modded for true bypass but the difference seems minor. I bought the Double Hotcake in an attempt to shift a few of the regular ones. If you need a hotcake, let me know!

Red Witch Fuzz God II: I'm 90% this pedal is malfunctioning but it still sounds good. Go figure.

Electro-Harmonix Small Stone: A classic, I just don't find myself going to it much.

Electro-Harmonix The Clone Theory: If you're going for those Hook bass tones the re-issue does an admirable job though I think it's unremarkable for everything else.

I think once I get my hands on some more patch cables I'll make another board with the Pedaltrain 1 I have. Probably something like Tuner -> Digitech Whammy II -> Electro-Harmonix Small Stone -> Red Witch Fuzz God II -> Catalinbread SFT -> Crowther Hotcake -> Seymour Duncan Shape Shifter -> Electro-Harmonix The Clone Theory -> Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay -> Walrus Descent.

The guitars in the photo are an MIA G&L ASAT Super and a CIJ Fender JM66B Jazzmaster (with a bunch of enamel pins that increase sustain).

For bass, I'm using a Squier Classic Vibe 60's P Bass and a Sterling SB14 until I have the money to restore a Gibson EB-4L that's been unfortunately collecting dust or if a Geddy Lee Jazz Bass pops up for sale locally.

I wanted to keep the descriptions short and sweet, if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.
Last edited by ReidySetGo on Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

Have a go on the Diamond Bass Compressor
Killer with a passive bass.

I like the Prunes and Custard but liked Wounded Paw Attack Goat with 3Leaf Proton Filter a bit more.

Otherwise well done!
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Prunes and custard is a funny beast
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

harveysj
Squier
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by harveysj »

Shame EHX don't make a tuner.....

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Tidy!

What’s a qtron?
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

harveysj
Squier
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by harveysj »

envelope filter, if you need to get your garcia on...

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by SimonHirst »

Nearly there....put the two pedal risers on this afternoon. All the excess power cabling fits perfectly out of the way under the one on the right. Big shout out to the nice people at Music Planet at The Base in Hamilton for really hooking me up with them! When retail is like that it makes you go back...
Just waiting for the Boss PN-2 to arrive from Japan now :thumbup:

mule
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 518 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by mule »

That hot cake has seen some shit... :thumbup:

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SimonHirst »

mule wrote:That hot cake has seen some shit... :thumbup:
Indeed! This was before Paul started using primer haha.
I've seen another from a similar era which only had about five little specks of poo-brown left on it.
As an aside. Grantb re-soldered the little battery clip in it for me in the weekend and we tested it through his little Supro amp. Sounded mega. I want one of those amps...

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Miza »

Looking good Si.
I assume this is purely for your electric rig? I don't see a DI or looper?
Nothing to see here.

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SimonHirst »

Miza wrote:Looking good Si.
I assume this is purely for your electric rig? I don't see a DI or looper?
Cheers Mike. Yeah, this is for electric although I'll probably put an A/B pedal on this after the tuner which i can then use to send either to a DI for acoustic, or to the amp for electric. Means I only ever need one lead then :thumbup:

I've actually gone back to acoustic straight through a tuner now though! Feels like it pushes me to play betterer :D

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

mule wrote:That hot cake has seen some shit... :thumbup:
an ex-bandmate of mine had one as well,damn thing is a doom-dozer when you wind it up!

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

ReidySetGo wrote: ... CIJ Fender JM66B Jazzmaster (with a bunch of enamel pins that increase sustain).
Phwoar.

Shimmer
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 296 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by Shimmer »

Picked up the Vox MV50 clean yesterday - So small that even Lute Smurf can gig with it :)
Fits nicely on the pedal board.
(From the right, home made 'rocket' fuzz, Flanger HF2, DD5, home-made looper pedal (to bypass the Boss pedals), then Digiverb, with the Vox seated above)
Attachments
ADD_DESCRIPTION
ADD_DESCRIPTION
ADD_DESCRIPTION
ADD_DESCRIPTION
I want all the pedals!

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Kloppsta »

Shimmer wrote:Picked up the Vox MV50 clean yesterday
sweet! what are your thoughts so far? i am about to get one too for a small "pedal platform" amp to use with my pedals and mesa 2x12 cab.
would you describe it as voiced like a bf fender?
Little by little, by hook or by crook