Lets all drool over your stuff :)

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

BY godgrinder
I've spent a few days in Tokyo and checked out the Ochanomizu area during one of the afternoons. Was thinking about getting an HS R4 from Ishibashi but figured I'll check out a few more shops before making the deal. Ended up finding 2x 1960 Melody Makers at Kurosawa Gakki. I A/B'd the two acoustically for a little while, both were loud and resonant, have 1pc body and presumably Brazilian rosewood fretboard. I bought this one which I liked slightly more.

Some of you might remember me picking up a '65 double cut MM a little while ago. I found that strat pickups are pretty good replacements for the stock pickups so I ordered some BKP ones. Brute Force for bridge and a RP/RW Old Guard for neck. Will report back when I get them.
BY godgrinder
If anyone cares here are my vinyl scores during the Tokyo visit. Stoked to find the original version of the first Pentagram album.
BY godgrinder
Molly wrote:Is the rosewood going to be an issue at the border? Being Brazilian an' all that malarkey.

No one cared. The whole Brazilian VS Indian thing seemed more like a niche knowledge and I doubt it has ever crossed anyone's mind. Otherwise they'd check every rosewood guitar.
BY godgrinder
For real vintage Gibsons (ie pre-norlin) these are pretty good deals. Wrong headstock but right timber.

Also it wouldn't be sacrilegious to swap out the pickups for something that actually works for you. :lol:
BY GrantB
godgrinder understands old mahogany!
BY godgrinder

Pickup swap done. Turns out the proper strat coils are bigger than these strat-sized humbuckers so I can't fit them under the original covers like I did on the '65. Ended up direct mounting them.