Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: NAD • 1990 Marshall JTM45

Post by Molly »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Dharmajester wrote:Mine had a PPMV fitted. Took the edge off ( around a third ) but any lower and it spoilt the tone.
Guessing it’s quite a bright amp at low volumes? I have the bass & mids dimed but treble on about 4 and presence halfway. I’m sure that would all change as the volume increases.

I’ve heard of the PPMV mod, seems to be fairly common on these types of amps.
I watched a AC/DC rig rundown on YT and was surprised by what looked like quite extreme eq settings. I guess if you set with your ears rather than your eyes it doesn't matter how extreme it looks. Bet you're itching to crank it up! :-)

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

Do the 90's reissues have FX loop? If so you could chuck an EQ pedal in the loop to control it a bit. You won't be able to milk as much gain as having a PPIMV since it's pre-PI but it's non-intrusive and gives you more shaping options.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Dharmajester wrote:Mine had a PPMV fitted. Took the edge off ( around a third ) but any lower and it spoilt the tone.
Guessing it’s quite a bright amp at low volumes? I have the bass & mids dimed but treble on about 4 and presence halfway. I’m sure that would all change as the volume increases.

I think the bass goes up as the power tubes kick in with increased volume.
I had to get a PPIMV in the JMP as there was no control or chance of amp overdrive without a master volume.
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

godgrinder wrote:Do the 90's reissues have FX loop? If so you could chuck an EQ pedal in the loop to control it a bit. You won't be able to milk as much gain as having a PPIMV since it's pre-PI but it's non-intrusive and gives you more shaping options.
No FX Loop on this one.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Post by Dharmajester »

chur wrote:
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:

I think the bass goes up as the power tubes kick in with increased volume.
I had to get a PPIMV in the JMP as there was no control or chance of amp overdrive without a master volume.
You will certainly get much more bass once it's converted to KT66's and more top end sheen too.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:This is one of the early reissues as I believe they came out in 1989.
The serial number dates this as being 1990, and there’s a USA sticker on the transformer dated May 1990. But supposedly the Reissues only had rounded corners in 1989; so looks like this one was early enough in the year that it got one of the original head shells.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

run it on el34s
it`s a blimmin marshall ffs
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

mrmofo wrote:run it on el34s
it`s a blimmin marshall ffs
Haven't seen many JTM45'S that have ran on EL34's, it seems to be either KT66's or 6L6's (I think 6L6's are what they are originally designed to run).

One of my mates has a Marshall TSL that runs EL34's, sounds good enough but not my cup of tea. My old Vintage Modern had KT66's, bloody lovely tubes.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

fair enough, I always thought English Marshalls were made for EL34s.
I live in the past mate, don't worry about me
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

mrmofo wrote:fair enough, I always thought English Marshalls were made for EL34s.
Lol, they could well be mostly made for EL34's. I know plenty of them certainly use them :)

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
mrmofo wrote:fair enough, I always thought English Marshalls were made for EL34s.
Lol, they could well be mostly made for EL34's. I know plenty of them certainly use them :)
I have 6550's in my JMP, was surprised to see those when first cracking it open.
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

chur wrote:I have 6550's in my JMP, was surprised to see those when first cracking it open.
Damn, that would have been a cool find!