Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Re: Minimal Gear Day (MGD) Thread

Post by calling card »

It's been this way for a long time... guitar>lead>5E3

Really must fire it up & play some...
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

I like minimal. Nothing puts me off playing more than having to piss around with a bunch of stuff.

Currently is it is:

1997 Gibson Les Paul Studio with Seymour Duncan Whole Lotta Humbucker set and standard wiring. It's strung with D'addario EXL 120+ 9.5-44 gauge. I do not like the strings that much, but I like the gauge (There is something about EB Slinkies I prefer. i dunno what it is, but I like the tone and feel of them)

Sometimes thru a MXR '74 Phase 90 set slow for that EVH thing. I find it gives an almost cocked wah effect that also has a slow sweep. Good for tremolo picking and repeating patterns etc.

Fuzzie Bro TS808 clone with switchable so called Keeley mod (more distortion). I just use it for the high pass filter and mid emphasis effect. I prefer the boost in my amp saturating the preamp.

Laney IRT Studio that has a built in load box. I run it without a speaker into my Presonus interface into Reaper with a Two Notes speaker sim and out thru mu little Presonus monitors. Makes it dead simple to play along to stuff with volumes that do not get neighbours banging on my wall and still get pretty convincing tones. Amp can be a little dark, but saturates really nicely (that harmonic overtones in the sustain thing).

I will add a little room reverb in the Two Notes Wall Of Sound and a little plate reverb at the channel strip in DAW. A sprinkle of delay too.

That's it. One guitar. One amp. A couple of pedals i use occasionally. People who have tried it like it.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

I guess I have a few mods too, the tele has Fender CS broadcaster bridge / twisted tele neck pickups and an Obsidian Wire 4 way switching kit, Elixir 10's, but otherwise stock, would like some locking tuners, the stock MIM ones feel a bit agricultural compared to the gotohs in my telemaster...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

I play minimal all the time...but only out of laziness. Suhr T -> Princeton and done. But there's no way I'm selling down everything and keeping one amp and one guitar! Mind you, I play most days, even if only a little burst. If I hadn't touched a guitar for months maybe the sell down would make sense.

imarco
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by imarco »

Minimal gear = mad playing skills

I hide using numerous delays and reverbs. Hahaha

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

I do not know how people like Edge can have 49 guitars at a gig and use about half of them. Going from one guitar to another usually messes me up. Sometimes I can pick up a guitar I am not used to and it works, but mostly not. Just little things mess me up like I recently went from top wrapping my stop bar to stringing it normally. I had to adjust my muting technique because the strings were now at a different angle than i had got used to.

p.s. They just did a Rig Rundown on Edge. That guy is OCD to put it mildly.
Last edited by Aquila Rossa on Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

I don’t like this thread.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

Aquila Rossa wrote:I do not know how people like Edge can have 49 guitars at a gig and use about half of them. Going from one guitar to another usually messes me up. Sometimes I can pick up a guitar I am not used to and it works, but mostly not. Just little things mess me up like I recently went from top wrapping my stop bar to stringing it normally. I had to adjust my muting technique because the strings were now at a different angle than i had got used to.
It's a fantastic way of getting out of a rut, pick up a different guitar. It's like a boot camp or holiday for your hands, depending on what you go for.
Tin arse!!

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Music industry is always trying to convince us we need more guitar gear.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

Aquila Rossa wrote:Music industry is always trying to convince us we need more guitar gear.
Nah, that's like saying the restaurant industry is trying to convince us to eat, we will be playing and lusting for guitars no matter what.

Just read about the sixties in Britain when you couldn't get good gear, American instruments were traded and resold and swapped over and over. The industry couldn't import any quantity due to legal restrictions, but the desire went on!
Tin arse!!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

imarco wrote:Minimal gear = mad playing skills

I hide using numerous delays and reverbs. Hahaha
I don't seem to have improved since my hiding behind numerous delays and reverb days :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Aquila Rossa wrote:Forum is always trying to convince us we need more guitar gear.
Fixed

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

Terexgeek wrote:
Aquila Rossa wrote:I do not know how people like Edge can have 49 guitars at a gig and use about half of them. Going from one guitar to another usually messes me up. Sometimes I can pick up a guitar I am not used to and it works, but mostly not. Just little things mess me up like I recently went from top wrapping my stop bar to stringing it normally. I had to adjust my muting technique because the strings were now at a different angle than i had got used to.
It's a fantastic way of getting out of a rut, pick up a different guitar. It's like a boot camp or holiday for your hands, depending on what you go for.
I think when you do something professionally, and in his case he probably plays 20+ hours of guitar a week, you wouldn't be having a pile of guitars purely for vanity. There will be a reason he uses so many (one per song I expect, with backups), whether it be tuning, the fact he likes nice clean new strings every song, the tone for each etc etc.

Of course, then there is Joe Bonamassa....

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

Slowy wrote:I don’t like this thread.
I liked it
:mental:

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

null_pointer wrote:
Terexgeek wrote:
I think when you do something professionally, and in his case he probably plays 20+ hours of guitar a week, you wouldn't be having a pile of guitars purely for vanity. There will be a reason he uses so many (one per song I expect, with backups), whether it be tuning, the fact he likes nice clean new strings every song, the tone for each etc etc.

Of course, then there is Joe Bonamassa....
Yeah his guitar tech has just done an hour long rig rundown (video in the Youtube Goodness thread) - he's very particular about certain sounds for certain things. He also doesn't change pickups and stuff on his guitars - he's like "this guitar sounds like this and feels like this, that's its personality" rather than trying to make all guitars sound and feel the same.

But he also adds capacitors to each cable so each guitar hits each wireless pack with the same impedance so I guess people will always find ways to tinker! :lol: :lol: