Single coil
BANNED
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Re: NWTFHTY Guitar Day

Post by Single coil »

Fuckyeah/10
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

This guitar has been my constant companion for the past month. I've had an interesting old classical belonging to my ex for months but I never gelled with it. This one's different.

I pick it up and start noodling. After a few minutes, I relax into my playing and suddenly the guitar sounds rich and deeply satisfying.
Tone really is in the fingers with something like this.

It's not effortless to play; the neck is slightly too wide even for my big paws and there's fret wear beyond anything I knew was possible on a nylon string. But everything about it speaks of an instrument that has been played lots and loved for 45 years.
Now it's got me for however many years I have left.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Excellent
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by MrDINO »

I had an M70. Great guitars. Played an M100 which was awesome. Haven’t played classical stuff for years.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

MrDINO wrote:I had an M70. Great guitars. Played an M100 which was awesome. Haven’t played classical stuff for years.
Always hoped to score an M100. Never met one. This doesn't do much classical either which is why the neck's too wide.
But I never played a Matsuoka I didn't like.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MrDINO »

Slowy wrote:
MrDINO wrote:I had an M70. Great guitars. Played an M100 which was awesome. Haven’t played classical stuff for years.
Always hoped to score an M100. Never met one. This doesn't do much classical either which is why the neck's too wide.
The M100 if I remember had a solid spruce ( I think) top as opposed to the veneered one I had. Mine still had a sweet sound but the 100 was fuller.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

MrDINO wrote:
Slowy wrote:
The M100 if I remember had a solid spruce ( I think) top as opposed to the veneered one I had. Mine still had a sweet sound but the 100 was fuller.
M50 upwards has a solid top. The M100 was the first model with solid back & sides.

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MrDINO »

Slowy wrote:
MrDINO wrote:
Slowy wrote: Always hoped to score an M100. Never met one. This doesn't do much classical either which is why the neck's too wide.
M50 upwards has a solid top. The M100 was the first model with solid back & sides.
Mine was different. I loved the detailed pattern wood on top but it didn’t match underneath.

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MrDINO »

I sold it as my dad gave me his Ovation classical. I always battle with the round back on those guitars but very nice sound.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

Polar Bear wrote:Savarez are my go to HT nylon, preferably the Alliance series.
I didn't realise they come in different tensions. Will the HT ones work on any classical guitars? Or are there guitars with special features to look out for?

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

codedog wrote:
I didn't realise they come in different tensions. Will the HT ones work on any classical guitars? Or are there guitars with special features to look out for?
Yep, three tensions, and I use the same ones as Slowy, so these are on the guitar you just bought from me. I just restrung it! It takes bloody ages for a classical guitar to settle down when you restring it. Those strings keep stretching. So annoying. You could also use mediums on the Walden because it is bright enough to cope with them.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

olegmcnoleg wrote:
codedog wrote:
Yep, three tensions, and I use the same ones as Slowy, so these are on the guitar you just bought from me. I just restrung it! It takes bloody ages for a classical guitar to settle down when you restring it. Those strings keep stretching. So annoying. You could also use mediums on the Walden because it is bright enough to cope with them.
Perfect, thanks Mark! I'll give these a go first. If I'm happy with it I'll get the exact make and model from you, unless you still have the packaging you can throw in as well?

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

I can now affirm that not only does this look AWESOME, but plays wonderfully - I'm not an afficianado of anything other than electric but I could have spent many wonderful hours with this wee beastie. I've never played a nylon that hasn't felt like rubber bands - wonderful strings on this.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.