Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

HNSOSD

Post by Molly »

Happy new 'shitload of stuff' day.

Should actually post this tomorrow after I collect the Boogie but I'm impatient. Got home from Dunedin to find this little lot in my neighbour's garage. Cheers Rick (shafter) for the copious use of bubble wrap. Yamaha sounds so good I do wonder now if I should maybe have waited before jumping on the Mesa. Ah, feck it. More gear is, well, more.

:-)

I'll probably tinker with the pedals for a solid thirty seconds before deciding I can't be arsed... And the Pedaltrain Pro is, erm, fucking huge... Didn't realise. :oops: Oh well, I guess I could fill it up and join Genesis.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: HNSOSD

Post by Molly »

Sold my Marshall Bluesbreaker today. Sold it to a guy who left his number on the auction who, in return for delivering it, paid the asking price. I still dropped a shitload of cash on that amp but you live and learn. Anyway, was interesting to hear somebody else play through it. He had a collection of Gretsch guitars and some quirky stuff. Sounded great. He used a delay really well too. Not my style of playing at all so really 'fresh' to listen to.

Immediately took the money across town and collected this Boogie (well, I had to put $100 towards it). It's mint. Hopefully all's well that ends well as far as the Marshall goes.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

I thought you'd bought Sultans of Swing on vinyl....

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Nice haul! Strings should be with you any day as well, posted end of last week.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Is the the 5:50? I used to have the head version.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:Nice haul! Strings should be with you any day as well, posted end of last week.
Shit.. Forgot all about that. Well, we only got back from Dunners yesterday so couldn't have done anything much sooner. Will get on to it. Got tubes to send to Troy and knobs to a guy oop narth. And I forgot to drop in a pickup in Rolleston this morning.

Need to get my shit together.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

NippleWrestler wrote:Is the the 5:50? I used to have the head version.
5:50+ combo. :thumbup:

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

null_pointer wrote:I thought you'd bought Sultans of Swing on vinyl....
It's Molly remember, more likely to be:

GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Agnetha Fältskog... Hngh! Superseded by the Trivago lady of course.

On a gear-related note. Everything is awesome. Well, the amps are. Haven't tried the pedals yet.

shafter
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

Post by shafter »

Molly wrote:Happy new 'shitload of stuff' day.

Should actually post this tomorrow after I collect the Boogie but I'm impatient. Got home from Dunedin to find this little lot in my neighbour's garage. Cheers Rick (shafter) for the copious use of bubble wrap. Yamaha sounds so good I do wonder now if I should maybe have waited before jumping on the Mesa. Ah, feck it. More gear is, well, more.

I'll probably tinker with the pedals for a solid thirty seconds before deciding I can't be arsed... And the Pedaltrain Pro is, erm, fucking huge... Didn't realise. :oops: Oh well, I guess I could fill it up and join Genesis.
No worries Molly.. yeah that Pt Pro is big cost me too much $ to fill it with pedals lol.
Stress... when you wake up screaming and realise you haven't been asleep yet!!

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I'm surprised you went with the Express, I didn't think it would be your cup tea. I tried one back to back with the TC50 (both combo's) when I was looking for something and I didn't really like it after trying the TC50.

I still think one of the best amps for the money has been the Royal Atlantic we both owned, that thing sounded great and is built like a fucking tank. Its floating about for less than $1400 I think, an absolute bargain.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

sizzlingbadger wrote:I'm surprised you went with the Express, I didn't think it would be your cup tea. I tried one back to back with the TC50 (both combo's) when I was looking for something and I didn't really like it after trying the TC50.

I still think one of the best amps for the money has been the Royal Atlantic we both owned, that thing sounded great and is built like a fucking tank. Its floating about for less than $1400 I think, an absolute bargain.
Wonder what the lack of stickability for it is (given as good as everyone has found it, it still seems to be back on the market quite quickly)? Is it a size thing? Requires volume to shine?

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Molly wrote:Happy new 'shitload of stuff' day.

What is that Yamaha thingy?

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

null_pointer wrote:
sizzlingbadger wrote:I'm surprised you went with the Express, I didn't think it would be your cup tea. I tried one back to back with the TC50 (both combo's) when I was looking for something and I didn't really like it after trying the TC50.

Wonder what the lack of stickability for it is (given as good as everyone has found it, it still seems to be back on the market quite quickly)? Is it a size thing? Requires volume to shine?
Didn't require volume at all. It had individual attenuators for each channel etc. but I never used them. It just sounded great at low volume. I didn't like the shared eq across the channels but that aside it was great. That said, God forbid you should ever have to retube it. It was a flagship model for that range and, as you said, built like a tank. But it also demanded a wide cab or it'd look goofy.

The Express 5:50+ combo cost me $1,300. The guy had had it less than a year and only used it at home. His Rockshop receipt showed he paid $2,800 for it. As usual, if something seems cheap I'll give it a punt. I wasn't expecting much from the overdrive but the wee test drive I gave it yesterday, just on the guy's own settings, was great. I don't doubt that the TC50 would wipe the floor with the Express. Would love to try one.
olegmcnoleg wrote: What is that Yamaha thingy?
It's a THR100HD (two amps in one).
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical ... index.html

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Yeah $1300 for one in that condition is well worth a look, you won't lose anything when you flick it on. I'm not sure if the one I tried was the + model with the graphic controls, I can't remember.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...