codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

NGD and Not-so-NAD! Pacifica 904 + Boss Katana

Post by codedog »

The Pacifica 904 is finally here! Thanks to Dayl for getting and packing it for me! It's a rather lovely bit of kit but whoever had it before me had weird ideas. For one, it has locking tuners... but strings were wound around the posts! Also, those one of those two string trees was useless... it barely held the strings down. Other than that it's in an amazingly great condition. Neck and middle pickups were clear and warm, quite a bit warmer than the SSL-1 in my strat. I had two strums on the bridge humbucker, pushed the tone knob to split it, and the tone pot gave up the ghost :( Now it's stuck on one of those singles in the bridge :/ I've never had a push/push pot before, not sure how common they are, or what value is in this one!

I sold my Laney to buy the Katana 100 1x12 a few weeks ago. I needed a combo and an acoustic amp. This works great! I'm just a tone hack... I'm sure it's missing various nuances of the valve types but it does just fine for me. Dirty to filthy sounds are great but the clean is somewhat less than sparkling. The spring reverb sounds a bit weird to me when turned up high. The plate and hall are fantastic. In fact, I can do with all the builtin versions of all the effects that I normally used. All the dirt effects and channels clean up amazingly well with the volume knob.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Re: NGD and Not-so-NAD! Pacifica 904 + Boss Katana

Post by griff »

Nice one. Heard great things from the Katana, our sound man bought one and I cant wait to try it actually. Everyone raves about the brown sound channel on it.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Yup, the brown sound is great whenever I get the chance to use it! I still haven't tried this amp on full power either...

mttn3
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by mttn3 »

The amp and guitar are both boss. :)

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Yeah those pacifica's are nice gats and only heard good things about the Katana!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

I can't recall the Pacífica fretboard feeling so flat though, feels like nearly infinite radius! Still, damn nice and rather "delicately" sized for my petite paws.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

I considered a Katana or a Yamaha THR. Glad I bought your Laney. The thing sounds much better than I expected, even with cab sim into a DAW. The tone does not get so washed out when I add reverb and delay in DAW as a model would. Crisp treble. Tight attack and muting. Sweet overdrive. Not managed to get a Fender twin type clean from it, but everything else is really impressing me. Crunch channel with boost is my fav

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Aquila Rossa wrote:I considered a Katana or a Yamaha THR. Glad I bought your Laney. The thing sounds much better than I expected, even with cab sim into a DAW. The tone does not get so washed out when I add reverb and delay in DAW as a model would. Crisp treble. Tight attack and muting. Sweet overdrive. Not managed to get a Fender twin type clean from it, but everything else is really impressing me. Crunch channel with boost is my fav
Yup, that was exactly my favourite setup on that amp too!

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

codedog wrote:I can't recall the Pacífica fretboard feeling so flat though, feels like nearly infinite radius! Still, damn nice and rather "delicately" sized for my petite paws.
yeah I remember them as being similar to a classical guitar (but obviously not as wide)...gasing for one now.

That is one of the better models to isn't it? I have wanted one since seeing michael lee firkins with one all those years ago (ironically I have never heard him play :rofl: ....i'm so shallow)
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Yup, higher first digit = higher class in Pacifica numbering system. It's the top model in its time, albeit a rather short term. The trem is awesome too. The only gotcha is that truss rod adjustment.

Never heard of that dude... will check him out.

mttn3
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by mttn3 »

Hmm I was reading the specs to see what you mean about being delicately sized - it has a 41mm nut width, which is pretty small right. Is the neck particularly thin too?

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

It's a touch narrower than most I guess, but not hugely noticeable to my delicate fingers. The neck is not thin though. I reckon a smidge thicker than Fender's Modern C profile. Very comfy profile.

This though... whose bright idea was this? I had to take off the pickguard to get the wrench in there!

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

yeah pretty stupid set up...mind you I have to totally take the neck off my charvel to adjust the rod. Makes doing little adjustments a PitA
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

hrybowicz
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by hrybowicz »

Do you use the trem? If so, how do you set it up?

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Yes, I use the trem. The bridge in this one appears to be similar to the PRS trem, which has a notch in the screws. I have the bridge base parallel to the deck, with about 1.5 mm gap. The gap was set like that when I got it and it works well.