sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Re: NAD Soldano

Post by sizzlingbadger »

The biggest difference is in the iron. The transformers on the Soldano's are very heavy. The build quality is also a big step up. Having said that the massive price difference is a bit harder to explain.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

sizzlingbadger wrote:The build quality is also a big step up. Having said that the massive price difference is a bit harder to explain.
There's the labour cost too. There are only a few guys at the US Soldano office/workshop and the amps are assembled in house. Their salaries would be way higher than the guys assembling Jet Cities in the Chinese OEM factory.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

JJ 6L6's are in and biased, sounds a little sweeter now, the Sovtek 5881's they replaced are not very musical but they are bullet proof so popular as OEM valves.

I will try the Celestion's from the Laney in the Soldano cab next to see if its worth changing the X12000's for something different (replacing them seems to be a common upgrade and Soldano no longer use them anymore).
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Didn't really get any extra low end from the Celestions in Soldano cab but it was a " blanket off" experience.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

I found the X12000's pretty dark/smooth in a close back, I actually like it better than the V1216 they use nowadays. But apparently it doesn't work too well in open back cabs so they stopped using it.

If you still need more lows maybe look into the gruntier side of Celestion like the K100.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I mounted the speakers to rear of the baffle today and its a marked improvement over the standard front mounting. I think a set of Celestions will finish it off nicely. There is a certain "clarity" to the Soldano sound that is hard to beat.
Last edited by sizzlingbadger on Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

godgrinder wrote:I found the X12000's pretty dark/smooth in a close back, I actually like it better than the V1216 they use nowadays. But apparently it doesn't work too well in open back cabs so they stopped using it.

If you still need more lows maybe look into the gruntier side of Celestion like the K100.
I've got a k12 80 here. English made, 1985. 8 ohm. Cool speaker!

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I was looking at a couple of Classic Lead 80's on trademe but the guy doesn't seem to want to post them. I'd like to get two of whatever comes up but I may hit you up if nothing comes up soon.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

sizzlingbadger wrote:I was looking at a couple of Classic Lead 80's on trademe but the guy doesn't seem to want to post them. I'd like to get two of whatever comes up but I may hit you up if nothing comes up soon.
K12 was the predecessor to the cl80, as i was told by the guy i got it from. Same frame and magnet at the very least and they look identical.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

I've got two celestion Type A speakers - but I'm not sure if they would be what you want
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Eruera »

I miss our Soldano :crybaby: