An area to discuss erm... musicians?

Moderator: Capt. Black

#809870
I'm heading back to see my folks around Easter next year, haven't been back since 2003 so will be great. A few months back after a few beers I decided to send an email off to Mr Rothery, just on the miniscule off-chance that I could meet up with my 'idol' as it were. Anyhow, a few more months pass and an email drops into my Inbox from none other than Mr Rothery...

"Hi James,

It might be possible to meet you in Aylesbury for a coffee. Message me again closer to the time.

Best wishes,

Steve."


So now I'm slightly shitting myself, wondering what guitar I should take over for him to sign and what the hell I am meant to talk about over our espresso's :lol:

Image
User avatar
BY GrantB
#809909
Nice work. Say hi from me. I was that guy in the crowd in 1991 waving at him, north London.
User avatar
BY mrmofo
#809921
ask him about the bridge on that guitar. and say thanks from me for script for a jesters tear
#809925
Molly wrote:I could be wrong but I'm sure in that pic he's playing a Squier. That being the case he can't possibly be any good. :-)


Yes, it is, but it is an early Japanese Squier, so that says he puts tone over brand.
BY Molly
#809926
olegmcnoleg wrote:
Molly wrote:I could be wrong but I'm sure in that pic he's playing a Squier. That being the case he can't possibly be any good. :-)


Yes, it is, but it is an early Japanese Squier, so that says he puts tone over brand.


Don't counter my prejudice with logic! What kind of a world would that lead to?
#809927
Yup. He’s always favoured the older Japanese Squier’s, they’re often equipped with Kahler trems and EMG pickups.

Seems like he’s favouring Jack Dent guitars these days (they make his signature model) but he still plays his Blade’s every now and then; he has a pretty substantial collection as you might well expect.
#809928
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:Yup. He’s always favoured the older Japanese Squier’s, they’re often equipped with Kahler trems and EMG pickups.

Seems like he’s favouring Jack Dent guitars these days (they make his signature model) but he still plays his Blade’s every now and then; he has a pretty substantial collection as you might well expect.


I was not going to mention the EMG pickups, I'm trying to make him seem cool here! :roll:
#809929
Molly wrote:
olegmcnoleg wrote:
Molly wrote:I could be wrong but I'm sure in that pic he's playing a Squier. That being the case he can't possibly be any good. :-)


Yes, it is, but it is an early Japanese Squier, so that says he puts tone over brand.


Don't counter my prejudice with logic! What kind of a world would that lead to?


A world based entirely on logic would be boring indeed. And we would all be playing Telecasters.
#809930
I heard he bought a Squier once for an appearance on Top Of The Pops. The whole band was bummed because they could not play live, so he brought a left-handed guitar for the filming. I like that story, I hope it is true.
BY Molly
#809939
olegmcnoleg wrote:I heard he bought a Squier once for an appearance on Top Of The Pops. The whole band was bummed because they could not play live, so he brought a left-handed guitar for the filming. I like that story, I hope it is true.


And a Charvel Model 6 here if I'm not mistaken (good riff):