An area to discuss erm... musicians?

Moderator: Capt. Black

Interested to hear what everyone thinks of this, especially from a non-fan perspective. I have the DVD on the way so have been trying to resist watching any of the songs from this show, but I caved in tonight and watched this one...

I turned the lights out, turned the volume up and actually got goosebumps a number of times; just loved everything from the strings arrangement to the vocals and obviously Mr Rothery. Thoughts?
BY Slowy
Wow!!!
First time for me; will definitely be back. 8)

Daza! Watch this. Note the guitarist is playing a Squier Strat. If it's good enough for him......
that intro was amazing ... sadly every time I here the name Marillion I always think of this, so can never bring myself to listen to them :rofl: (although I have just listened to hawkwind in the last week so there might be hope)

BY sty
I'm a massive Fish era Marillion fan, and while I do really like Seasons End I struggle with a lot of the Hogarth era Marillion stuff because his voice tends to just make all the songs sound so similar, I think they use his voice to be a major part of carrying the melody whereas I always think that Fish's vocals are far more about carrying the lyrics that the tune and therefore I feel I hear more of the instrumentation.

Now having said all that I love what I've seen of that Albert Hall show and I think it's amazing that a band who've really done it hard to get themselves sorted as an independent can do a show like that at such a huge and prestigious venue. I think I might get hold of a copy of that and see if I can get into the whole thing.

On a Marillion related note, the Clutching At Straws deluxe edition on CD/BR and Vinyl is just about to come out, there's some awesome stuff on that album :)
Thats kinda the vibe I get from Dream Theater / Rush / etc, great prog style over the top music with a terrible singer :lol:
willow13 wrote:that intro was amazing ... sadly every time I here the name Marillion I always think of this, so can never bring myself to listen to them :rofl: (although I have just listened to hawkwind in the last week so there might be hope)

Script for a Jesters tear is a damn good album in my opinion. they were almost part of the NWOBHM at the time.
that might make it easier to digest
sty wrote:I think I might get hold of a copy of that and see if I can get into the whole thing.

Happy to send you my copy when I get it and I’ll just order another through my Marillion account - PM me if you were interested. Will have to check and see what the GBP converted to but I think it was around $30 :-)