An area to discuss erm... musicians?

Moderator: Capt. Black

BY jeremyb
Can't say I've ever really listened to them, this kind of piqued my interest...

BY Single coil
It’s a no from me.
BY el byrdo
a bit too "jazz school" for my tastes but I like a couple of their songs
BY willow13
I quite like them
BY philly
they're funny arent they?
there's a certain inherent "smugness" to their sound.. but if im driving and one of their songs comes on ill always turn it up

shame they had to nick the drum part for Peg from the flight of the conchords theme tho....
BY Dharmajester
Countdown to Ecstacy and Pretzel Logic were great albums back when they were more of a band and there are some great live sessions floating about from that period. Their subsequent albums are really Becker and Fagen with cherry picked session players and consequently somewhat slicker, admirable but a bit coffee table for me.
BY Eruera
Big ups from me! A lot of their music is terrific fun to play, despite the audience clearly not being into it :lol:
BY Bg
Vince wrote:I've always felt that I'm not old enough to like Steely Dan. I'm 55 and I still don't feel old enough.

Same here, I feel the urge to put a tweed jacket on with leather elbow patches, a nice pair of brown corduroy trouser and comfortable hush puppies, and tap my foot gently and thoughtfully to the music.
BY calling card
... and you could have a change of heart
BY StrummersOfThunder
Massive Dan fan, from a young age. Was bought up with it.
Also love Fagen ls solo works 'the nightfly' 'kamakirad' ,and 'morph the cat'.
When I was playing keys I cut my teeth on steely Dan numbers. Always liked Fagens use of odd/unexpected bass notes under certain chords like A/F or the so called 'steely dan chord ' which is a major 9 with a 4th as the bass note.
And of course Larry Carlton's licks in the nightfly' album and previous Dan tracks were memorable.
BY willow13
calling card wrote:... and you could have a change of heart

both Vince and BG are reeling in the years man .... time might not be on their side for that
BY philly
calling card wrote:... and you could have a change of heart

do de de do doo do....