Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Re: Oueen?

Post by Vince »

I quite like Queen without ever having had the slightest desire to own any of their albums. Does that make any sense?
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

Lyle wrote:Who's Oueen? That band with Brion Moy?

A couple of days late but still quite a timely poll for 'Allo Oueen.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

sty wrote:
I've also re-discovered just how wonderful a song "Spread Your Wings" is, I had the sheet music as a young lad and tried to learn to play that, it's only now I can appreciate it was not guitar sheet music so no wonder I failed badly - wouldn't mind learning a version of that now.
I did this. I bought the songbook for, I'm pretty sure, News of the World. In the racks there were always books for piano and others for guitar. So, aged about eleven I bought the guitar book hoping I'd soon be playing the songs. Not a f'kin' bit of it. No tab. Just the melody on a stave and simple open chord shapes that sounded nothing like the guitar on the record. They couldn't have made less of an effort. Swore if I was ever in such a position I'd write the bloody songbooks myself.

I didn't even know that 'that' tone was called distortion; had no idea what to refer to when trying to explain the noise I wanted to make. Couldn't have known in the future all the information would be just be a few clicks away. Eeee, these young uns dun't know nuffin etc. etc.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Brian May is a genius, the range of sounds he can create from his one guitar is staggering. He can play two notes and you can tell it's him, how many guitarists can lay claim to that? I love those sections of songs where he manages to rather convincingly make it sound like a cello or some other orchestral instrument, very clever. It's easy to underestimate how much time and effort they went into producing many of their tracks; nowadays it's a piece of cake with Pro Tools and the like but back then if you wanted multiple guitar or vocal layers you physically had to splice tape together and get it to match spot on... not an easy task.

Looking forward to seeing the film next week hopefully, it's got some shitty reviews but that often means it's probably quite good haha.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Definitely going to see the movie, I don't care how bad the reviews are. I love music movies--I think Almost Famous is my favourite. Saw the new version of A Star Is Born at the weekend and was blown away by Lady Gaga. Wow, she has some pipes...is there anything she can't sing? Great movie too--surprisingly.

Litterick
Gibson
Has liked: 268 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Litterick »

Would it be going too far to say that Brian May was / is the UK's Hendrix?
Yes. Far too far.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

Molly wrote:
I did this. I bought the songbook for, I'm pretty sure, News of the World. In the racks there were always books for piano and others for guitar. So, aged about eleven I bought the guitar book hoping I'd soon be playing the songs. Not a f'kin' bit of it. No tab. Just the melody on a stave and simple open chord shapes that sounded nothing like the guitar on the record. They couldn't have made less of an effort. Swore if I was ever in such a position I'd write the bloody songbooks myself.
Those books were awful. I think what happened was, if there were several instruments playing, whoever was transcribing the music would use a chord window but they were trying to capture the whole group, not just the guitar part. I remember struggling with the book to Neil Young's Harvest. Most of it was pretty straightforward until you got to the orchestral songs and it was murder. Chord windows you'd never seen before or since, and heaps of them.

It was a bullshit way of doing transposing stuff but I can see the good intention behind it.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Litterick wrote:
Would it be going too far to say that Brian May was / is the UK's Hendrix?
Yes. Far too far.
LOL. Well, OK. Doesn't matter either way in the grand scheme of things. Definitely an innovator though. Maybe if he'd died at 27 we'd view him differently.

Litterick
Gibson
Has liked: 268 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Litterick »

Maybe if he'd died at 27 we'd view him differently.
I am glad he did not die then, because he seems likeable enough. But I think you may be right. May and Queen established a good reputation with the first two albums, and improved on it with Sheer Heart Attack in 1974 (when May reached 27). But then came A Night at the Opera and all that followed. When punk emerged in 1976 , it came as a blessed relief from all that pomp, but it did not stop Queen.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Lmao k

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 351 times

Post by WellyBlues »

I remember seeing the Killer Queen video on Ready to Roll back whenever. Like TOTP for you English person's. Bloody fantastic at the time. Not particularly a fan but I generally enjoy them when I hear them.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

olegmcnoleg wrote:Definitely going to see the movie, I don't care how bad the reviews are. I love music movies--I think Almost Famous is my favourite. Saw the new version of A Star Is Born at the weekend and was blown away by Lady Gaga. Wow, she has some pipes...is there anything she can't sing? Great movie too--surprisingly.
Saw the movie tonight. Haven't enjoyed a movie this much in ages. Rami Malek became Freddy and carried me along for the ride.
Not interested in analysing the pros and cons; I paid my money and it was two hours very well spent. Loved it.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Lol it's definitely the people who spell it Freddy who probably get the most out of this movie.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

slash-ed wrote:Lol it's definitely the people who spell it Freddy who probably get the most out of this movie.
Yep; face value only. :D
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.