Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Re: Oueen?

Post by sizzlingbadger »

foal30 wrote::lol: They'd make my Top10 of worst bands of all time

Check out the promo video of them on a train in the countryside. Maybe it's performance art/comedy I didn't understand.

I think the Duet Vocal w/ Bowie is very good. Freddie M gives an award winning rock vocal there. Gail Ann Dorsey does a good take on it.

Anyway, lots of people like them and they inspired others to play so good on them

They had a sense of Humour, look at the "I want to break free" video :winky:
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

jeremyb wrote:
Lyle wrote:Who's Oueen? That band with Brion Moy?
They used to open for Qasis didn't they?
Ouims.
Tin arse!!

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

Queen are great
I was brought up on them as a kid and will never forget the Wembley gigs
What a command on a audience never to be seen again
:mental:

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 837 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by jimi »

Flash Gordon aside I only really heard of them when Freddie died and bo-rhap and the show must go on we’re thrashed to death on the radio. At this point my listening as a 13yr old kid from boarding school was pretty much my step fathers Neil diamond and cat Stevens tapes and whatever else passed for music on Hawkes Bay top 40 radio.

So at first it was “wtf is this?” To “this is awesome!”.

Then getting past the greatest hits albums to queen 1 & 2 and sheer heart attack, was so different and so so good.

Definitely 2nd music love after the Beatles.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

cool bananas... one of my first bought singles other than black pudding bertha and the funky gibbon by the goodies, was 'Now I'm Here' thrashed to death. I love the earlier stuff and no-one can recreate waynes world bohemian rhapsody.

To be fair, they aren't in my top 5 but they must be number 6, after the Goodies.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

I think they are great, it is just a shame that bohemian rhapsody is the song they seem to be most well known for (thanks to waynes world I guess) ..... it is a great song but with it now being a bit of a bogan song it kills anything that was great about it for me

anyway its a :thumbup: for me
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

mule
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 518 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by mule »

One of the first musical things I latched on to as a kid was taping of the Freddie Mercury tribute concert. Mostly because of the Metallica bit...

Looking back through this older stuff, shit he was great on stage.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

Seriously Radio Gaga at Live Aid is one of the greatest live rock moments ever recorded. What power over an audience that isn’t all there for them. Freddie was an absolute master on stage.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Anyone seen the movie yet? My son is off to watch it today. I'll get to it during the weekend if I can.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

sizzlingbadger wrote:Anyone seen the movie yet? My son is off to watch it today. I'll get to it during the weekend if I can.
Read a review that said it: "... wasn't a complete train wreck" which I took to mean it's pretty awful.

It's on locally so the Mrs and I might go just to take advantage of having the MIL with us. If it's crap we'll just go the pub. :thumbup:

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Critics bashed it, like they did the song back in the 70's :winky:

Reviews on IMDB look much more promising.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

sizzlingbadger wrote:Anyone seen the movie yet? My son is off to watch it today. I'll get to it during the weekend if I can.
I've seen it.

Rami Malek does a great job of Freddie.

The movie itself is more of a greatest hits compilation, you won't learn anything new or deeper if you're already a big Queen fan. And some timelines have been rewritten and fictionalised/dramatised to serve the movie's narrative.

Could have been a lot better but it was nonetheless fun to hear the songs played loud on a huge system.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

slash-ed wrote:
I've seen it.

Rami Malek does a great job of Freddie.

The movie itself is more of a greatest hits compilation, you won't learn anything new or deeper if you're already a big Queen fan. And some timelines have been rewritten and fictionalised/dramatised to serve the movie's narrative.

Could have been a lot better but it was nonetheless fun to hear the songs played loud on a huge system.
This is the feedback I've had from a few people, go see it in a cinema with a monstrous sound system and treat it like an extended Queen music video.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Would it be going too far to say that Brian May was / is the UK's Hendrix?

I've long since tired of Queen and now can't turn the radio (ga ga) off fast enough but he was my first musical hero and the reason I picked up a guitar. To this day I couldn't make sense of his phrasing / note choice if I was minded to. And his tone is all his own.

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

Me and the Mrs are off to see it tonight at the Extreme Screen at Hoyts so should be nice and loud. I know the Queen story but I'm still really looking forward to it.

I grew up with Queen, one of the first two Albums I ever bought as a kid was A Night At The Opera and over the years me and my mates played all their albums to death.

Somewhere along the way I started to listen more to their greatest hits, I blame iTunes and my iPod habit, and sort of lost track of the actual albums.

More recently I've started listening to the actual albums again and I think the thing I love so much about them was the slightly eclectic nature of the albums with the little off beat songs mixed up with the massive hits. This obviously carried through to their live shows and you can see it in the long version of the Wembley shows where you get all these little 1 or 2 minute songs and cover snippets thrown in to mix everything together. I listened to Live Killers a couple of months back for what must be the first time in 20 years and I could recall instantly every little interlude on the album, far better stuff than I was expecting.

I've also re-discovered just how wonderful a song "Spread Your Wings" is, I had the sheet music as a young lad and tried to learn to play that, it's only now I can appreciate it was not guitar sheet music so no wonder I failed badly - wouldn't mind learning a version of that now.

Anyway, love them, appreciate the actual old albums, and can't wait to see the film in a few hours time :)