So who’s next in line to Hendrix?

An area to discuss erm... musicians?

Moderator: Capt. Black

Mini Forklift
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

So who’s next in line to Hendrix?

Post by Mini Forklift »

Feels like there hasn’t really been too many guitarists after Hendrix that have been immortalised & revered to the degree that he has. Seems pretty amazing considering we’re coming up on 50 years since his passing/murder.

Was wondering who you think will be the next ‘big one’ from the current crop of guitarists that could reach similar status as Hendrix?

For me there’s a few that come to mind - Satriani & Vai will likely become worshipped once they’re gone. But my vote for the two that I think could stand up there with Hendrix...

1) Eric Clapton - it’s going to be a huge “holy f**k” moment when he finally kicks the bucket, a true pioneer of the blues movement and missing link to all of the greats that came before him
2) Edward Van Halen - like Hendrix EVH can probably take credit for a whole host of things such as pioneering shred & tapping. Well, maybe not tapping but nonetheless undeniably important in the world of electric guitar

THOUGHTS?

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Re: So who’s next in line to Hendrix?

Post by TmcB »

I'm going to say John Mayer - he's not the guitar hero we want but he is the guitar hero we deserve
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

No pumps for Lil Wayne? Tough crowd...

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 351 times

Post by WellyBlues »

Interesting question. Gary Clark, Jr is still young and has plenty of time. I have said his music has a Hendrix feel about it without being a clone. What he does that might be majorly influencial is his fusion of other music like hip-hop into blues/rock. The album The Story of Sonny Boy Slim being an example.

Whether he is able to be influential remains to be seen. The fact that an old blueser like me loves his stuff (and finds hip-hop uninteresting) shows he has some talent. Maybe he'll come up with something really significant, hopefully.
Last edited by WellyBlues on Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

I don't really think comparing guitar players makes any sense.

That said, Derek Trucks is better than Elmore James, Duane Allman and Hendrix put together.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

JHorner wrote:I don't really think comparing guitar players makes any sense.

That said, Derek Trucks is better than Elmore James, Duane Allman and Hendrix put together.
I agree. The man makes me want to not suck at slide.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 351 times

Post by WellyBlues »

JHorner wrote:I don't really think comparing guitar players makes any sense.

I think that Jim's question is more about influence.

And while I love Derek Trucks and what he does (I have paid for the albums) I don't think he will be as influential as those three. But he is an embodiment of the first two. Hendrix is a more subtle influence in his case.

As you say, comparing guitarists doesn't make any sense.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Absolutely, I’m not interested in comparing guitarists. The question/thread probably more relates to their influence, uniqueness and I guess the legacy they’ll leave.

Brian May is another one that would be in the mix I’m sure.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

Please define "current crop"

For me, that immediately disqualifies May, Eddie and Eric

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

TmcB wrote:I'm going to say John Mayer - he's not the guitar hero we want but he is the guitar hero we deserve
:( nooooooooo!!!!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

Mayer has been the last I think in a truly populist sense. Guitar solos in songs don’t have wide appeal anymore meaning their purveyors don’t get traction outside of guitarists. And that’s as it should be - the song needs to be great first before you give a damn about whether the solo is kickin. GCJ, Tosin, newer alumni like Asato etc are all great players but the world won’t know their names in the same vein as Hendrix, Slowhand, EVH. So my answer would be ‘nobody’. It’s like saying who are the great pianists of the modern day?

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

null_pointer wrote:Mayer has been the last I think in a truly populist sense. Guitar solos in songs don’t have wide appeal anymore meaning their purveyors don’t get traction outside of guitarists. And that’s as it should be - the song needs to be great first before you give a damn about whether the solo is kickin. GCJ, Tosin, newer alumni like Asato etc are all great players but the world won’t know their names in the same vein as Hendrix, Slowhand, EVH. So my answer would be ‘nobody’. It’s like saying who are the great pianists of the modern day?
Bobby Crush
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

JHorner wrote:Please define "current crop"

For me, that immediately disqualifies May, Eddie and Eric
Anybody that’s alive as of now!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

EVH was the next big step after Hendrix, since then people have only refined his techniques...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.