An area to discuss erm... musicians?

Moderator: Capt. Black

BY Danger Mouse
Vince wrote:
But I sort of find Gibbons' tone to be too clean or something. I just don't get it.

I was going to post this vid and say "not always..." but even with a heavy dose of fuzz, you're right it is somehow very clean.

BY Danger Mouse
JHorner wrote:
Vince wrote:But I sort of find Gibbons' tone to be too clean or something.

Said no one ever!

Ha too late with my post. But even on the song you've linked, there is an openness and clarity to his tone, sort of dirty and clean at the same time.
BY calling card
:thumbup: Filthy old Tele in that one.
BY calling card
I'm surprised at the dislike or not getting it vibe.
BY kwhelan
JHorner wrote:

Said no one ever!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaIZWjItReI

isn't that the point tho a great sound but still clean and articulate not relying on the fuzz to cover the mistakes, it makes his playing style much more precise and harder to do,especially on such light strings
Kinda like Angus Young whos tones are more volume than actual dirt and every young kid assumes there some sort of heavy pedal sound and has way too much distortion on
BY Molly
Danger Mouse wrote:
JHorner wrote:

Said no one ever!

Ha too late with my post. But even on the song you've linked, there is an openness and clarity to his tone, sort of dirty and clean at the same time.

Net worth $60 million according to Google. So I guess he did get paid.

Did you know that Dusty Hill is related to Hank Hill (from King of the Hill)?
BY Vince
Yeah, nah... I'm not talking about how much fuzz or whatever he uses. That's just a detail. ZZ Top just sound like they're in some ultra high tech studio, everything is really neat and clean. I guess I prefer people with a more primitive (? struggling for words here, I've never had to vocalise this) sound.

Bottom line is, I just don't like them much.
BY mr_sooty
kdawg2a wrote:La Grange is fun because it's on the Dogtown and Z boys soundtrack.

This is as good a reason as any. Zephyr for life.
BY Polar Bear
Vince wrote:Yeah, nah... I'm not talking about how much fuzz or whatever he uses. That's just a detail. ZZ Top just sound like they're in some ultra high tech studio, everything is really neat and clean. I guess I prefer people with a more primitive (? struggling for words here, I've never had to vocalise this) sound.

Bottom line is, I just don't like them much.

Maybe from Eliminator onward, but their first few albums are swampy as fuck.
BY Molly
Watched them on a Clapton festival thing. They were like a circus act.

Love the early stuff but the rest... naaaa
BY Mini Forklift Ⓥ
Vince wrote:ZZ Top just sound like they're in some ultra high tech studio, everything is really neat and clean. I guess I prefer people with a more primitive (? struggling for words here, I've never had to vocalise this) sound.

Sterile?
BY JHorner
I get that.

Some of it is over produced.

Also when they remastered the catalogue for CD they really screwed it up.

So yeah, finding recordings of ZZ Top that sound like ZZ Top is not that straight forward.
BY HappyEnding
Also surprised at the indifference. I had thought Gibbons was one of those guys who's universally revered.

Though if I think again, when was the last time I listened to ZZ Top? Ummm. For me he’s with Hendrix at the moment, in that netherworld of people I like way more than actually listen to.

And to be a Contrary Mary, ELIMINATOR IS THEIR BEST FUCKING ALBUM CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK BAPS COCK.