An area to discuss erm... musicians?

Moderator: Capt. Black

BY mr_sooty
kdawg2a wrote:Never understood why he was so rated.

Because in the late 60's british blues era he was a pioneer and one of the greats of the day. His playing in Cream still really holds up and he played the lead on While my Guitar Gently Weeps by the Beatles. But I would agree that much of his later work is far less inspiring, and as much as I'm a Strat guy, Claptons tone went massively downhill when he switched from Gibsons to Strats.
BY Danger Mouse
mr_sooty wrote: as much as I'm a Strat guy, Claptons tone went massively downhill when he switched from Gibsons to Strats.

I assume this correlates to his Lace Sensor period, but for a while he seemed to be actively seeking the worst tone on the planet.
BY Aquila Rossa
Beano Album. Still one of my favorites. Guitar licks on that album are ripper and the tones are pretty hard to beat.
BY HappyEnding
Dharmajester wrote:
HappyEnding wrote:I bought his autobiography years ago when it came out. Really should get around to reading it.

Chuck it and remain a fan.

I did read some reviews that said he rates his fancy cars and fox hunting above all else in his life. Thus a bit of a dick.

But mostly the mere idea of reading it renders me immediately bored.

(By contrast, currently reading Steve Jones’s autobiography. He uses “having a pedal” as a synonym for having a wank. Hadn't heard that before. I doubt Eric touches on important topics.)
BY Single coil
That’s fucking funny.
BY kdawg2a
HappyEnding wrote:
Dharmajester wrote:
HappyEnding wrote:I bought his autobiography years ago when it came out. Really should get around to reading it.

Chuck it and remain a fan.

I did read some reviews that said he rates his fancy cars and fox hunting above all else in his life. Thus a bit of a dick.

But mostly the mere idea of reading it renders me immediately bored.

(By contrast, currently reading Steve Jones’s autobiography. He uses “having a pedal” as a synonym for having a wank. Hadn't heard that before. I doubt Eric touches on important topics.)

I'm not a fan but i've read it. Alright to the point where he gives up the junk then shite for the rest.
BY foal30
Badge
Let It Grow
Pilgrim

That's three pretty good tunes.
BY mike
He's the only one of the bunch who can improvise a solo of any length which sounds like it was worked out beforehand.

The trouble is that he almost always sounds like it was worked out beforehand, largely in the sense that he usually sounds bland and derivative. There are plenty of examples of Hendrix slowly building solos in a musically interesting way while playing live.

Having said that, I doubt that Vai ever plays anything that is not worked out in advance, but more often than not, sounds interesting, despite his apparent inability to do anything other than the Vai sound.