An area to discuss erm... musicians?

Moderator: Capt. Black

BY Bg
WellyBlues wrote:
Miza wrote:Even his bloated over-produced 80s era stuff isn't that bad if you can look past the dated synthy sounds.

A matter of taste but it is undeniable that Phil Collins (the producer on much of that dross) should be taken out and slowly shot!

He is an evil man and deserves to have his tongue ripped out and buried on a beach
BY Single coil
:thumbdown:
BY Miza
Bg wrote:
WellyBlues wrote:
Miza wrote:Even his bloated over-produced 80s era stuff isn't that bad if you can look past the dated synthy sounds.

A matter of taste but it is undeniable that Phil Collins (the producer on much of that dross) should be taken out and slowly shot!

He is an evil man and deserves to have his tongue ripped out and buried on a beach

Better be quick tho, he might feel you coming in the air. :wink:
BY Single coil
:shock:

jb pls
BY Mini Forklift Ⓥ
Miza wrote:Pilgrim is a guilty pleasure for me. It's his "let's dabble with R&B" album.

Absolutely. Love that album, different but refreshingly so.
BY Dharmajester
Clapton like Hendrix emerged at a time when now legendary guitar slingers were popping out of the woodwork left right and centre however unlike all the rest Clapton for me has a unique talent. He's the only one of the bunch who can improvise a solo of any length which sounds like it was worked out beforehand. It will start slowly and build to crescendo at intervals much along the lines of classical composition and all be done within the framework of simple pentatonic blues scales, be lyrical and without sounding repetitive. Now that's a fucking gift :clap:

But yes he's also put out some unspeakable dross over the years.
BY el byrdo
He has a few good licks but it's a no from me
BY willow13
I read somewhere that he was God so :thumbdown: for me :mental:
BY Slowy
Beano, 461 and Unplugged. :thumbup:

He did a lot of muzak but there's moments, like the memorial concert for SRV, when it's very obvious that Clapton has turned up. And that's a wonderful thing.
BY HappyEnding
Clapton needed to die when Duane Allman did. Not so good for him personally, but that legacy…

In a few short years you get Bluesbreakers, Yardbirds, Cream, Blind Faith, Derek & the Dominos… in isolation that’s a better discography than Hendrix. Not cooler, but better. You could stack it against anyone.

And had he died, that 'cool' status would be there and he'd be on T-shirts at K-Mart in 2018.

But he lived. So there’s a decade of laying back and nodding out, then a decade of pushing up the sleeves on his Armani jacket (or was it Versace? Naomi darling, do tell!) and sipping champagne through a straw, then Unplugged and into two decades of stoic blues purism balanced with an audience wanting a nostalgia act.

I bought his autobiography years ago when it came out. Really should get around to reading it.
BY Dharmajester
HappyEnding wrote:I bought his autobiography years ago when it came out. Really should get around to reading it.

Chuck it and remain a fan.
BY jeremyb
Vince wrote:Where's Mark Whatsisface when you need him? :)

I'm doing a daily thing, this is a good one for today!