An area to discuss erm... musicians?

Moderator: Capt. Black

BY jeremyb
:thumbup: or :thumbdown: ?
BY Molly
I think his songs have sustained his career far more than his playing. Don't know what folk might consider his 'golden era' but I prefer some parts of his career over others.
BY jeremyb
I did try learning Layla when I was a teenager, quite like the stuff he did with creme, not the dairy product who knows what happened with all that coke he used to take!
BY kdawg2a
Never understood why he was so rated. Best song he had was Layla and the best bit of it was the piano coda at the end, which was written by the drummer, before he went crazy and shot his mum.
BY GrantB
Can’t stand his music. Cream however is another story.
BY godgrinder
Cream was great, not into his solo stuff.
BY Bg
Can't stand periods of his - especially the 80's, too much brandy.

Beano album etc is sublime.
Have really enjoyed a lot of his later stuff too.
BY WellyBlues
like any artist with a long career he has his high points and low points. Bottom line for me, Clapton turned me onto a lifelong love affair with the Blues. Thanks Eric. Beano album, Cream, Layla, Unplugged, and the Blues compilation work for me. Wonderful Tonight et al, not so much.
BY Miza
Love Clapton. :thumbup:
Was lucky to see him live at the Estate Winery concert in Napier back in the early 2000s. TBH, I was more impressed with Derek Trucks than Clapton, but still.
Cream, well of course.
But I also really dig his early solo stuff (the first, self-titled album, and 461 Ocean Blvd I think it's called). Songs like "Let it Grow" really get under your skin. After Midnight, Cocaine, etc.
Even his bloated over-produced 80s era stuff isn't that bad if you can look past the dated synthy sounds. Take "Old Love" for example. Stripped back to on the Unplugged album, it's an absolute gem of a song. (Same as Fleetwood Mac's live version of 'Big Love' from The Dance. Great song, but the original, yuck!).
And as for the Unplugged album itself, masterpiece. One of the best live albums even IMHO.
Fanboi rant over.
BY Miza
Bg wrote:Can't stand periods of his - especially the 80's, too much brandy.

Beano album etc is sublime.
Have really enjoyed a lot of his later stuff too.

Pilgrim is a guilty pleasure for me. It's his "let's dabble with R&B" album.
BY Molly
Let it Grow is a killer song.

I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of his output but do love the albums Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs, and 461 Ocean Boulevard. Check out Give Me Strength from the latter. More recently I bought the album 'I Still Do'. Some good stuff on that. Especially the track 'I Dreamed I Saw St.Augustine' (a Dylan song I believe).
BY sizzlingbadger
His first 10 years and everything since the millennium is good for me.
BY WellyBlues
Miza wrote:Even his bloated over-produced 80s era stuff isn't that bad if you can look past the dated synthy sounds.

A matter of taste but it is undeniable that Phil Collins (the producer on much of that dross) should be taken out and slowly shot!