An area to discuss erm... musicians?

Moderator: Capt. Black

User avatar
BY Slowy
#795671
Within the context of his era, the man arrived from outer space. There was nothing like Hendrix before Hendrix with the possible exception of Roy Buchanan. He's a waypoint in time, so unquestionably :thumbup: from me.
User avatar
BY mule
#795672
Like many guitarists that are undeniably excellent, I find him technically impressive but generally don't enjoy his music. Same vibe I get from someone like SRV or Malmsteen. Like "wow, that guy can play guitar, shame it sounds like that".
BY Molly
#795681
mule wrote:Like many guitarists that are undeniably excellent, I find him technically impressive but generally don't enjoy his music. Same vibe I get from someone like SRV or Malmsteen. Like "wow, that guy can play guitar, shame it sounds like that".


I find that with a lot of guys. Happened upon this the other day. Check out this guy's phrasing (and he's just demoing a guitar). Goes to show that tidy playing isn't about histrionics.

User avatar
BY Bg
#795683
Slowy wrote:Within the context of his era, the man arrived from outer space. There was nothing like Hendrix before Hendrix with the possible exception of Roy Buchanan. He's a waypoint in time, so unquestionably :thumbup: from me.


yes and no.... don't forget where he got a lot of his stuff...
Image
User avatar
BY codedog
#795685
Molly wrote:
mule wrote:Like many guitarists that are undeniably excellent, I find him technically impressive but generally don't enjoy his music. Same vibe I get from someone like SRV or Malmsteen. Like "wow, that guy can play guitar, shame it sounds like that".


I find that with a lot of guys. Happened upon this the other day. Check out this guy's phrasing (and he's just demoing a guitar). Goes to show that tidy playing isn't about histrionics.



You've struck one of my fav demo guy. He's just awesome.
User avatar
BY Dharmajester
#795689
Slowy wrote:Within the context of his era, the man arrived from outer space. There was nothing like Hendrix before Hendrix with the possible exception of Roy Buchanan. He's a waypoint in time, so unquestionably :thumbup: from me.


I think it's hard for people who are not contemporary to that time and have grown up with the huge diversity of guitar music that exists today to grasp how utterly unique the man was and how much his input coloured the monochrome musical landscape of the time and opened doors for what we take for granted now.
User avatar
BY Dharmajester
#795691
Bg wrote:
Slowy wrote:Within the context of his era, the man arrived from outer space. There was nothing like Hendrix before Hendrix with the possible exception of Roy Buchanan. He's a waypoint in time, so unquestionably :thumbup: from me.


yes and no.... don't forget where he got a lot of his stuff...
Image


If you showed a kid an old black and white clip of Buddy in his mohair suit hammering away on his guild semi hollow, a clip of Hendrix, then a recent clip of Buddy in all his polka dot glory, Strat in hand I 'd be incline to think the kid would judge it to be to the contrary.
BY Molly
#795692
The psychedelic thing was a bit too Austin Powers for me. Though I did once own flares.
User avatar
BY willow13
#795693
also it is a travesty that no one has been held accountable for his "murder"
User avatar
BY willow13
#795695
Molly wrote:Though I did once own flares.


so did I .. although that was more a Zakk Wylde thing than a 60's thing :rofl:
User avatar
BY Bg
#795707
Dharmajester wrote:
Bg wrote:
Slowy wrote:Within the context of his era, the man arrived from outer space. There was nothing like Hendrix before Hendrix with the possible exception of Roy Buchanan. He's a waypoint in time, so unquestionably :thumbup: from me.


yes and no.... don't forget where he got a lot of his stuff...
Image


If you showed a kid an old black and white clip of Buddy in his mohair suit hammering away on his guild semi hollow, a clip of Hendrix, then a recent clip of Buddy in all his polka dot glory, Strat in hand I 'd be incline to think the kid would judge it to be to the contrary.

well yes, but if you showed the kid a clip of hendrix in his showband days complete with ruffled shirt and bowtie, he might have a different perception as well ;)
User avatar
BY willow13
#795714
Dharmajester wrote:
If you showed a kid an old black and white clip of Buddy in his mohair suit hammering away on his guild semi hollow, a clip of Hendrix, then a recent clip of Buddy in all his polka dot glory, Strat in hand I 'd be incline to think the kid would judge it to be to the contrary.


clearly in his later years Buddy has been influenced by the late great Randy Rhoads :mrgreen:
User avatar
BY Single coil
#795719
Or briscoes.




:shifty: