Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Re: Lend me your ears

Post by HackSaw »

Polar Bear wrote:
Darth Sabbathi wrote:
HackSaw wrote:I do hope to find some people in the new year to jam with, sort of rough and ready blues based rock, slightly stoner-ish, would be just perfect!
Shame you're not in Wellington! Or I'm not in Auck... no wait :sick: (kidding!) That is totally what I'm looking for...
If only some other LP weilding arsehole was into that...
I'm open to tele wielding arseholes too! Probably good you're not in Auckland Darth, I'd be suffering Fuzz envy every time I saw your board...

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 374 times

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

sirvill wrote:Yeah me too!

Emphasis on the rough would be even better given my lack of chops :p
Polar Bear wrote: If only some other LP weilding arsehole was into that...
Hmmm. Jam session then?

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

Darth Sabbathi wrote:

Go on, elaborate! I certainly did... :lol:
OK here it is;
Clapton was there as an early influence, a live in Japan album and Duck Dunn era stuff. I pondered some of Jeff Becks early things too. Moved off into a fairly intense Hendrix emulation time. Billy Gibbons tunes and Van Halen - never the shred (ok just enough to know someone else always did it better) just those chewy rhythm hooks & tone. Little bit of acadaca. Then a kind of drifting phase, guitar playing like a monkey on the back.
Gear was all destroyed in a house fire, result of lightning strike. Only thing left an acoustic, so I thought fuck it this gonna have to do. Seventeen years passed then I found the missing link in Rory Gallagher, was aware of the name for a long time but never really followed up on him. Much is that to my shame.
So I re-electrofied and mined into his material long enough to know I wasn't him and needed to find my self. Love attempting his tunes though, apparently he hated people copying him. Then there was the Hammond B3 and transistor organ (Doors) kind of era 2012, oddly just dropped it & off back to guitar. Copping a bit of Robbie Krieger weirdness. Mined into Page things for a time. Built up a pedal board. Got some great amps, like my guitars... and now I drift.

Most of all there's some dead blues guys that I owe a sincere thank you to.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

Darth Sabbathi wrote:Ooops, edit...
Vince wrote:OMG, we can actually say "Eric Clapton" now?

And "gold", too?
Oh, is there a Clapton meme? Is this a personal pet hate of BG's? :?

Really? I mean, like I say, anything post-rehab is fucking awful, but Cream? Bluesbreakers? He's not god and never was, but come on, he could play, right...right?
There was a guy, Mark something or other, that would always try and troll people by attacking Clapton, thinking everyone would be outraged. Nobody was.

http://www.nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopi ... =2&t=26009

After a while, BG set up the forum software to parse the guy's name whenever anyone wrote "Eric Clapton".

Similarly, someone (JB?) started using the expression "comedy gold" and then everybody was using it, and everything was "comedy gold" or "gold", so BG changed things so that whenever anyone wrote "gold" it would come out as "my cat's breath smells of catfood".
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by calling card »

testing; Chicago
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

Vince wrote: Similarly, someone (JB?) started using the expression "My cat's breath smells like cat food!" and then everybody was using it, and everything was "My cat's breath smells like cat food!" or "gold", so BG changed things so that whenever anyone wrote "gold" it would come out as "my cat's breath smells of catfood".
LOL, there you go... if you write c o m e d y g o l d, you get comedy gold
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

Vince wrote: There was a guy, Mark something or other, that would always try and troll people by attacking Clapton, thinking everyone would be outraged. Nobody was.

http://www.nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopi ... =2&t=26009

After a while, BG set up the forum software to parse the guy's name whenever anyone wrote "Eric Clapton".

Similarly, someone (JB?) started using the expression "My cat's breath smells like cat food!" and then everybody was using it, and everything was "My cat's breath smells like cat food!" or "gold", so BG changed things so that whenever anyone wrote "gold" it would come out as "my cat's breath smells of catfood".
Testing: comedy gold

Ah. Thanks for the explanation Vince!

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

Vince wrote:
Vince wrote: Similarly, someone (JB?) started using the expression "My cat's breath smells like cat food!" and then everybody was using it, and everything was "My cat's breath smells like cat food!" or "gold", so BG changed things so that whenever anyone wrote "gold" it would come out as "my cat's breath smells of catfood".
LOL, there you go... if you write c o m e d y g o l d, you get My cat's breath smells like cat food!
That makes so much more sense now!

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

calling card wrote: OK here it is;
Clapton was there as an early influence, a live in Japan album and Duck Dunn era stuff. I pondered some of Jeff Becks early things too. Moved off into a fairly intense Hendrix emulation time. Billy Gibbons tunes and Van Halen - never the shred (ok just enough to know someone else always did it better) just those chewy rhythm hooks & tone. Little bit of acadaca. Then a kind of drifting phase, guitar playing like a monkey on the back.
Gear was all destroyed in a house fire, result of lightning strike. Only thing left an acoustic, so I thought fuck it this gonna have to do. Seventeen years passed then I found the missing link in Rory Gallagher, was aware of the name for a long time but never really followed up on him. Much is that to my shame.
So I re-electrofied and mined into his material long enough to know I wasn't him and needed to find my self. Love attempting his tunes though, apparently he hated people copying him. Then there was the Hammond B3 and transistor organ (Doors) kind of era 2012, oddly just dropped it & off back to guitar. Copping a bit of Robbie Krieger weirdness. Mined into Page things for a time. Built up a pedal board. Got some great amps, like my guitars... and now I drift.

Most of all there's some dead blues guys that I owe a sincere thank you to.
Nice. I'm inspired to rectify my neglect of Rory Gallagher now - what is a good place to start with him?

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by calling card »

Irish Tour 74 audio. Get the Live in Montruex dvd.

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

Darth Sabbathi wrote:

Hmmm. Jam session then?
I'll find a drummer.
Last edited by Polar Bear on Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

Sweet. Rory and The Sword: my listening for the long weekend sorted. 8)

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

Polar Bear wrote:
Darth Sabbathi wrote:

Hmmm. Jam session then?
Do you know any drummers? :)
Yep. Got a young pup in the Purple band that I reckon would be up for it. Need to crack the whip on his timekeeping a bit (sigh...) but he's enthusiastic. I'd be happy to step in on bass - quite keen on the idea actually. You sing, right? We could have a band right there. Molly's already given us a name... :mrgreen:

I could probably swing a spot in our practice room, but it'll likely cost about $45, so if you know anywhere cheaper (preferably free)...

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

Well don't we all sing, in one way or another, to varying degrees? :p