Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Re: SHIHAD

Post by Danger Mouse »

hamo wrote:
Danger Mouse wrote:You won't hear Devilskin on Hauraki, they're far too hipster electronica these days.
This is pissing me off enormously. It all started when they got Havoc on board.
They went through a few golden months where they played such a huge variety of music, you never knew what was coming next. Now its back to the same 5 songs, all the same style, none of which I like. They've just swapped Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin for... actually I don't give a rats arse what the new bands are called.

Havoc is an idiot.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3907 times

SHIHAD

Post by Bg »

The Scarecrow wrote::mental:

Does anyone want to link to a pic of the jugs in question? I seem to be having trouble locating them.
I had a search too but found them sadly lacking
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Sustainz
Squier
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Sustainz »

BG wrote:
The Scarecrow wrote::mental:

Does anyone want to link to a pic of the jugs in question? I seem to be having trouble locating them.
I had a search too but found them sadly lacking
Oh, please, I said "nice", not "spectacular." I hate to objectify (well, not really), but those puppies are just begging to be motorboated. :lol:

Play what you love. Practice what you must ~ Larry Carlton

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

take that corset away and there's nothing there
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3907 times

SHIHAD

Post by Bg »

druz15 wrote:take that corset away and there's nothing there
Yeah reminds me of a wonderbra, take it away and you wonder where they went :(
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Sustainz
Squier
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Sustainz »

Details, details... :yawn:
Play what you love. Practice what you must ~ Larry Carlton

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

So... Who's going to the show tonight at Horncastle Arena in CHCH? and is anyone going to be watching it live on SkyArena?

I've managed to get a ticket and will be in one of the corporate suites, hope they let me get down to the GA area as well though.

Not bad given I actually won one of the many draws that were going round on Facebook, then promptly missed the email and my offer of two tickets expired before I clicked the link (it was only valid for 72hours).

I've just realised that even though I've seen Shihad quite a few times I've never actually paid to specifically see them! this makes me sound cheap but they've always been either the support act (Black Sabbath and someone else I forget now), at a Festival (Southern Amp 2 springs to mind), or I really wanted to see someone else (Airborne at the Town Hall for the Rock's 18 year tour).

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sopachrga »

I'll be there. Our band got tickets so we'll all be down in the GA area.
Ummm....

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7727 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

I'll be there, on a date night with the missus :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

jeremyb wrote:I'll be there, on a date night with the missus :)
roleplaying as teens ???
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

willow13 wrote:
jeremyb wrote:I'll be there, on a date night with the missus :)
roleplaying as teens ???
Don't knock it, I took a girl on a date to a Shihad concert a few years ago and she was so impressed, she married me*.

(*ok, there is a little more to it than that, but thats where she decided I was worth getting serious about )
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sty »

Well I really enjoyed the gig last night, as I said in a previous post Shihad are an odd band for me. I really like them as people whenever I've seen them interviewed, their recorded music covers a spectrum from like to love, but live with the exception of when I saw them open for Sabbath they're excellent.

I scored corporate box tickets for last night, because I missed out on my own lottery draw tickets, so that was an interesting experience. Great view, and really cool being served canapes and beers/drinks while you watch the show. Very different experience from being down on the floor, but then again I gave up going down the very front after seeing Maiden at Reading about 9 years ago and almost dying so I usually end up standing about 2/3rds back and as I
m not that tall I don't get a great view...

Anyway, hope these pictures can be seen on here as they're linked from my facebook page, apologies if they're a bit blurred but they're iPhone pics with no flash etc. etc.

I would also say that having this broadcast on Sky Arena live meant they had done a superb job of staging the event. The whole stage area was extremely clean, and black, all the amps/cabs were nearly identical. Great screen visuals behind the band and good lighting both on stage and into the arena to light the crowd - it was brighter than it usually is for shows but that's because it was being filmed.

Mesa 4x12 cabs, Orange heads for guitars (looked like different amps for Rhythm and Lead, buut I don't know my Orange amps well enough to give models), Bass was Ampeg 8x10 cabs at a guess, definitely 8xsomething, assuming Ampeg heads from a close up I think I saw on TV.

Lead looked to have the usual Wet/Dry setup with two amps/cabs live both miked up. Rhythm looked to have one head (although there was another behind it) and two cabs one either side of drum riser/kit).

Guitars wise John and Phil looked to play the same giutars, without swapping or retuning for the whole of the new album set at the start, a blonde tele of some description and a Jaguar/Jagmaster(I'm not sure but one of those melted odd Fender shapes that I'm not a huge fan of so don't remember ;) ) for the rest of the show they swapped guitars a fair bit, John had a few teles and Phil had a variety including a Les Paul and I think a tele but won't swear to that. Basses were swapped quite a bit during the current album slots.

The sound was superb and they wee incredibly tight, highlight for me oddly enough was the amazing tone Karl was getting out of his bass especially during the early tracks.

I got to chat to one of the main guys with Sky Arena before the show and he said that Shihad had done a full play through rehearsal on Thursday and another full run through on Friday during the day before doing it all again on Friday evening, and it really showed as they were very good.

First shot, the opening number:

second shot, massive synchronised arm waving for Pacifier, very impressive from where I was watching from.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7727 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

Was great to see them live again, always an awesome experience, just such a shame that the arena has such horrible acoustics :( We were right up front so got to hear the amps nice and clear, sounded awesome! Aaron Tokona's opening act was amazing, such a great guitarist, really loved his humour and his political version of "Hey Joe"... "Heyyyy John, what you doing with our country.. dick" :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sty »

Interesting view on acoustics JB. The sound was actually pretty good from the back where I was, I've never found the sound at the arena to be that bad, but then again I suffered Wembley Arena (not stadium) for so many gigs and that truly did gave rubbish sound with lots of hard echoes. The worse I have heard Shihad was actually at the Town Hall where the bass was booming horribly where I was stood just on the start of the raised area fund the edge of the floor.

I don't know if we'll ever get great sound anywhere outside a theatre setting like The Isaac Theatre ?

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1208 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I saw a bit on the TV last night, AD30's into Mesa cabs !
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...