An area to discuss erm... musicians?

Moderator: Capt. Black

BY jeremyb
Given theres so much genre talk at the moment I thought i'd start a thread about post rock as I've only really discovered it recently after being into Jakob for quite a while and loving that kind of music!

I'm always on the lookout for new bands to listen to tho' if people have any suggestions?, so far I have discovered:

Sunn O)))
Mono
Mogwai
Collapse Under The Empire
ISIS
My Bloody Valentine
Sigur Ros
Sora Shima
An Emerald City
BY rocklander
aren't "My Bloody Valentine" emo?
BY hamo
I can't add anything here unfortunately. If you hadn't listed those bands I wouldn't know what post-rock referred to! :oops:
BY jeremyb
rocklander wrote:aren't "My Bloody Valentine" emo?

No, thats Bullet for my valentine! :?
BY hamo
jeremyb wrote:
rocklander wrote:aren't "My Bloody Valentine" emo?

No, thats Bullet for my valentine! :?

Haha, again! One of those bands are just going to have to change their name... :lol:
BY Timi
Would probably class My Bloody Valentine as shoegaze rather than post rock, but I suppose there is a degree of crossover. If you are into them check out Slowdive and Ride. It's funny how so many people confuse them with Bullet for My Valentine :lol: Nowadays it comes across as a nu-emo/metalcore (ie nu-nu-metal) sounding name.

For some post rock check out Maserati (more upbeat), Beadhead (mellow), Tristeza (the album A Colores in particular, kinda dreamy). Sleeping People might be worth a listen if you are a Tool fan (but lighter and no vocals). I guess bands like Earth and Low could be considered post rock too, and on the heavier side of things check out a band called Gospel.
Last edited by Timi on Tue May 25, 2010 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
BY jeremyb
Cheers Timi!! Been listening to ride, not really feeling it tho', was trying to get into a bit of the shoegazey stuff but its not quite doing it for me :(
BY Jenesis
Godspeed You Black Emperor
Set Fire To Flames
A Silver Mount Zion
Explosions In The Sky
Tortoise
Cult Of Luna (post-metal)
Do Make Say Think

And yeah without getting into a genre scrap, My Bloody Valentine are definitely shoegaze.
BY foal30
were do Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
fit into this
my Old Man says they are the shit
they play at Al's Bar soon
BY foal30
MBV were huge when I was a kid :shock:
this is like 1986
if that is post-rock I'm past categories
reading the NME
we waited for the follow up album
BY badmotor
foal30 wrote:were do Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
fit into this
my Old Man says they are the shit
they play at Al's Bar soon

Aren't they like "Rock" (present - rock?) . Rock isn't finished yet, so no need for "Post". :|
BY Timi
If anyone wants to get really geeky with the "Rock" genre, check out a book call Rhythm and Noise by Theodore Gracyk.

Basically talks about the idea of Rock being a recording style rather than genre, due to the association a song has with a particular recorded version of the song rather than the song itself, mainly because most Rock music is phono art (rather than a transparent recording) which cannot be 100% replicated either live or in another recording.
BY stuu
Timi wrote: most Rock music is phono art (rather than a transparent recording) which cannot be 100% replicated either live or in another recording.

can you give me this last sentence in laymans terms? Intriguing.

does it relate to over-dubs, double tracking for fatness etc?