An area to discuss erm... musicians?

Moderator: Capt. Black

User avatar
BY ash
#286879
The mention of a Pixies film in the Pixies thread made me think about how cool it would be to see a really indepth Smashing Pumpkins documentary. It would be very good. I've seen another Pixies one on the Documentary channel a month or so ago and it was pretty good too. It Might Get Loud was superb.

What would be on your band doco wishlist, real or imaginary?
User avatar
BY robnobcorncob
#286881
+1 for the Pumpkins. There's a lot of Pumpkins doco footage on Youtube (ripped from their greatest video hits DVD I think) which is good.

The Mars Volta would be a cool one. Apparently Omar has been working on one for a couple of years now. He's a busy little man he is.
User avatar
BY Timoes
#286894
Read the Motley book? "The Dirt" Sounds like a top read. Must look out for a copy.

As for a band doco... Johny Winter.
User avatar
BY Jenesis
#286896
I've read bits of the book, crazy entertaining. Every time I've seen it in a shop though I've never had the dosh to get it.

Heard rumours a while back of a movie version with Christopher Walken!
BY foal30
#286898
don't know if it's a doco
but the Southbank Show with Mervyn Bragg did a good one on the Smiths

The Fall
Prince
Marcus Miller
Afghan Whigs
The The

I'd watch documentaries on these cats for sure.

Classic Albums isn't a bad watch
caught most of a Who doco the other night...very good... Moon is mad however
User avatar
BY Timoes
#286903
The The. Havent heard that for a while. Soul Mining was the best record from him aye? The second was a let down for me.
User avatar
BY Timoes
#286907
Just found my favouritist The The song ever!![youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slzlm3OPeNg&feature=related[/youtube]
User avatar
BY corsair
#286915
Given the tragedy that surrounded Dragon and the great music they performed, I'd like to see a proper doco on them, Cold Chisel, Steeleye Span, John Martyn/Bert Jansch/John Renbourn, actually this could be a hellishly long list the longer I think about it, so I'll stop right about there!! :mrgreen:
User avatar
BY Bg
#286923
I got a copy of the joy divsion one recently, excellent :)
User avatar
BY Vince
#286932
corsair wrote:I'd like to see a proper doco on them, Cold Chisel...


+1

I think Cold Chisel would be a very interesting subject.

When they went to America, everyone was so certain that they were going to be wildly successful and take the US by storm, and yet...

And then they went home, wrote "You Ain't Got Nothing I Want" or whatever it was called and became huge whales (let alone "big fish") in a very small pond.

That would be an interesting subject for a doco.
BY foal30
#286981
BG, is that Control?
or is that a film... I don't know.

The The
er, Soul Mining could be called the third album. The one after it is Infected which is a great slab of British Soul IMO
probably the best "in the times" report of living under Thatcher, "Heartland" and "Twilight of a Champion" are both fantastic lyrics.

he's attracted some cool cats too you know. Johnny Marr, James Eller, Neneh Cherry, Jools Holland, Sinead O'Conner , Vinnie Couliata, it's hardly a bum draw.

the one he did with NIN Records is pretty raw, I really like it.
User avatar
BY mahtone
#286989
Jenesis wrote:I've read bits of the book, crazy entertaining. Every time I've seen it in a shop though I've never had the dosh to get it.

Heard rumours a while back of a movie version with Christopher Walken!


I've got a fever. And the only prescription, is more cowbell.
User avatar
BY Bg
#286994
foal30 wrote:BG, is that Control?
or is that a film... I don't know.

The The
er, Soul Mining could be called the third album. The one after it is Infected which is a great slab of British Soul IMO
probably the best "in the times" report of living under Thatcher, "Heartland" and "Twilight of a Champion" are both fantastic lyrics.

he's attracted some cool cats too you know. Johnny Marr, James Eller, Neneh Cherry, Jools Holland, Sinead O'Conner , Vinnie Couliata, it's hardly a bum draw.

the one he did with NIN Records is pretty raw, I really like it.


Nah its just called 'Joy Divsion' I think, been trying to get hold of 'Control' which is the film one...