Dodgy rythym and thick strings here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

BY bobiron
Anyone toyed with or executed a bass guitar pickguard pickup to capture any scratching on the pickguard?

The goal is to provide some backbeat type noise. I know that is what slapping is all about, but I don't have those skills atm.

My initial thought was to build a thin plywood pick guard and embed a piezo element in the back of it.
BY Slowy
bobiron wrote:My initial thought was to build a thin plywood pick guard and embed a piezo element in the back of it.

Why not just stick a piezo on the plastic guard? Simpler and should sound the same for what you're trying to achieve.
Slowy wrote:
bobiron wrote:My initial thought was to build a thin plywood pick guard and embed a piezo element in the back of it.

Why not just stick a piezo on the plastic guard? Simpler and should sound the same for what you're trying to achieve.

Thanks Slowy, Will double side tape one on to start with anyway, just have not had the time this weekend for music stuff.
Eruera wrote:Could also try muting all the strings with your left hand and literally slapping the whole lot with your right.

Thanks doing that already, I am looking for a sound with a different timbre that be controlled independently.