Dodgy rythym and thick strings here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

BY smallface
foal30 wrote:Fretless Precision TM alert

Saw that. Looks very cool. Odd that it's a rosewood board with a skunk stripe on the neck. That's normally reserved for maple boards surely? IS that roundwound string marks on the neck?
BY foal30
smallface wrote:
foal30 wrote:Fretless Precision TM alert

Saw that. Looks very cool. Odd that it's a rosewood board with a skunk stripe on the neck. That's normally reserved for maple boards surely? IS that roundwound string marks on the neck?

I'm not 100% on it being a rosewood fingerboard
It could be a replacement
I suspect it does have string gouges in the finger board but if there is no lacquer top coat then shouldn't be too difficult a sand.

Otherwise it looks a very sparingly played legit genuine boomer

The big question is how can I win the auction and get it here without Mrs Foal knowing :lol:

I suppose I could sell a bass or two
BY foal30
There were ebony finger boards P fretless as well. Maple neck w/ skunk stripe.
Unless I've totally lost my marbles
BY Kev77
Mine is a factory frettless rosewood ,
My neck is labeled 76' and the rosewood is really dense and dark, but not ebony.
I'd buy that bass just for the body to be honest, so chaps buy it and want to sell it, or the body. I'd be up for it.
BY foal30
Kev77 wrote:Mine is a factory frettless rosewood ,
My neck is labeled 76' and the rosewood is really dense and dark, but not ebony.
I'd buy that bass just for the body to be honest, so chaps buy it and want to sell it, or the body. I'd be up for it.

Does yours have a skunk stripe?
BY smallface
Mine is also a factory fretless rosewood. It's a 74. Bought the body off music-gift as you suggested. A bit more work to do obviously but I'm looking forward to this. Foal, you need to get this one :-)
Attachments
fretless 1.jpg
neck 1.jpg
BY foal30
Fender were still offering rosewood board in '78/79 which is when I think the TM bass was made.

I'm having a trawl through seeing if any RW boards on a maple neck have a skunk stripe.
BY smallface
No skunk stripe on mine.

Looking at this link it is entirely plausible that skunk stripes and rosewood boards happened in the 70s.

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/calling-70s-fender-gurus-skunk-stripe-question.676643/
BY Kev77
I don't think so, I'll look tomorrow.
That music gift body looks kewl, that bass is looking good
BY smallface
Well I've just gone and bought a new amp so I'm not sure that I'll be up for this one. The want is strong though :-)
BY foal30
smallface wrote:Well I've just gone and bought a new amp so I'm not sure that I'll be up for this one. The want is strong though :-)

Incoming or already home?
Does it have valves?
BY TmcB
I just can't get behind buying a fretless.

Maybe if I had a Jazz, Precision, PJ, and a Stingray then I'd consider a fretless.