Dodgy rythym and thick strings here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

BY jeremyb
Interestingly for me I found the tonal change on the bass was very pronounced compared to guitar with changing picks!
BY foal30
jeremyb wrote:Interestingly for me I found the tonal change on the bass was very pronounced compared to guitar with changing picks!

.6 to 1MM is a different world

Plectrum width is also to be considered with String Gauge

Btw check out Carol Kaye pick tutorials some good things there
BY TmcB
Bobby Vega is a genius with a pick.

Check out “I get high on you” by Sly Stone.

The Carol Kaye recommendation is an excellent one.

For bass everything seems more pronounced when you change it.
Strings make an outrageous difference just between brands - I’m DR fan with round wounds - Sunbeams for Precisons, Fat Beams for Jazz Bass, Hi-Beams for Stingray. D’Addario Chromes for flatwounds.
BY jimi
I found playing with a pick was great for a consistent aggressive sound. I used one quite a bit doing the alt rock / grunge originals thing, but being in a blues band, with a lot more jamming, I liked the softer thunk from fingers and more control over dynamics.

These days I stick with fingers when I get the chance to have a jam on bass, but if I had to do a whole set the pick would come out as a skin saver.
BY jeremyb
Check out the session player on bass, really seems to fit with The Jesus and Mary Chain look :lol:

BY jimi
jeremyb wrote:Check out the session player on bass, really seems to fit with The Jesus and Mary Chain look :lol

Hah! Looks like he s the only one having a good time
BY Terexgeek
Speaking of Jazz Basses, what string suggestions does the whanau recommend for them, gauge, metal composition (Nickel/Stainless), brand...etc?

I have purchased a project Squier that has no strings, missing three tuner ferrules and missing one MOTS fret marker.

Seems to be in good condition apart from the missing bits other than a dry fingerboard, although the electrics may need some TLC.

Thanks in advance for the knowledge!
BY TmcB
Terexgeek wrote:Speaking of Jazz Basses, what string suggestions does the whanau recommend for them, gauge, metal composition (Nickel/Stainless), brand...etc?

I have purchased a project Squier that has no strings, missing three tuner ferrules and missing one MOTS fret marker.

Seems to be in good condition apart from the missing bits other than a dry fingerboard, although the electrics may need some TLC.

Thanks in advance for the knowledge!

Regular gauge (100 E string), DR Fatbeams are outrageously good. Love them sooooo much.
BY TmcB
Eruera wrote:I use FatBeams as well, can you still get them though?

I have to get them shipped from USA now :(
BY foal30
TmcB wrote:
Eruera wrote:I use FatBeams as well, can you still get them though?

I have to get them shipped from USA now :(

Can Cheese no longer get DR?

I quite like D'Addario Pro Steels for clanks and or plectrum
BY el byrdo
I'm thinking of putting flats on my P bass. It's a jap squier with a bartolini pickup. Is this a good idea? it seems like a good idea to me since I hate changing strings and feel it would accentuate the P bass quality.