Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: Bass Learning Resources

Post by jeremyb »

jimi wrote:My 2c... Timing is everything. Learn to lock in with your drummer, always have some sort of timing thing going when practicing - drum loop / metronome / foot tap etc. Its not so much about what note you play, and all about when you play it - the wrong note at the right time sounds better than the right note out of time.

Learn to blame the drummer for your mistakes - the drummer is already blaming their mistakes on you, get some payback.

And check out Frey's Youtube link if you haven't already. Larry Graham is the man.
:lol: the drummer will be me too so no one to blame, but I'll be playing to a click so should hopefully not waiver too much!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

https://www.youtube.com/user/MarloweDK/playlists

Check this dude out.

He's amazing, and really good teacher.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Frey wrote:Are you going in a one man band direction or something?!!
I just feel like I have an album in me that I wanna work on bit by bit by myself... no idea what it's going to be, just going to let things flow and not stick to any particular sound or genre.... my band is starting work on our first album as well, so it will be good to spend some time learning to record things etc...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Had some Boogie demos running on YouTube and this one popped up. Not a bass resource at all but I really like his playing.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Rog »

I'm considered to be a good bass player. I can't even spell thoery. It's all to do with timing and feel.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

Posting here because I'm sick of seeing Acoustic Guitar on Bass sub-forum
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

KentNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by KentNZ »

jimi wrote:My 2c... Timing is everything. Learn to lock in with your drummer, always have some sort of timing thing going when practicing - drum loop / metronome / foot tap etc. Its not so much about what note you play, and all about when you play it - the wrong note at the right time sounds better than the right note out of time..
This.

Listen to the kick. Play that. Stick to root notes as long as humanly possible and then when you do deviate, it'll really make a difference.

And this, listen to the rhythm section. Loud.

After you can do that, start thinking about melodies - and that's not a lot different guitar in terms of hearing potential, perhaps singing along.

And put that thumb away. ;)
Larrivee 00 Acoustic. FAV Strat for electric. Ibanez SDGR5 for bass. Push for Ableton. When not doing that, 3D CAD for tunnels...

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 808 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Less is more
Just get some 'police' tracks and a pair of headphones and learn em all by ear. You'll see where to do what after a while.
Dont learn licks or shitty tab. Listen. Listen and play along.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

Consider the use of play along CD's
These can be an aid to feeling more comfortable improvising.

Lots to be said for finding the right tutor
Lots to be said for finding the right Jam Mates

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

Pencil, stave, CD
Working on "Sir Duke" Stevie Wonder for a student
Awesome practice

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

I'm someone who played bass for years (including upright and electric fretless) before becoming a guitarist.
I really dont think you need a 'resource' as such so much as interest and time. I had a handful of bass players that I loved emulating. It sounds cliche but they were McCartney, Sting, and Flea. I pretty much to sat down to and listened to those guys over and over again, learning all their lines by ear and playing along. Occasionally I would have to refer to sheet music or tab but only AFTER i had spent a good long time trying to figure out what was going on.
The thing that helped me understand how bass lines 'worked' was by teaching myself keys. From the piano basic and jazz chord theory became much more numerically understandable than from a guitar fretboard.
'Learning' an instrument (or bassline) and really 'understanding' it are two different things. Dont worry about 'playing a bass like a guitarist as the more instruments you have experience with the more your brain will follow whats going on musically.
Style wise....finger style. relaxed wrists and flat fast fingers on the fret board. Bass style is a lot more about what you dont play and how you mute and transition than the actual notes.
Have fun and good luck :)

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

foal30 wrote:Pencil, stave, CD
Awesome practice
Thats a cracker alright :) Hadn't listened to it for years but started playing it again a few months back.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Any of the duck Dunn bass lines off the Blues Brothers too.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

Bg wrote:
foal30 wrote:Pencil, stave, CD
Awesome practice
Thats a cracker alright :) Hadn't listened to it for years but started playing it again a few months back.
I will put up a chart at some point.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

StrummersOfThunder wrote:I'm someone who played bass for years (including upright and electric fretless) before becoming a guitarist.
I really dont think you need a 'resource' as such so much as interest and time. I had a handful of bass players that I loved emulating. It sounds cliche but they were McCartney, Sting, and Flea. I pretty much to sat down to and listened to those guys over and over again, learning all their lines by ear and playing along. Occasionally I would have to refer to sheet music or tab but only AFTER i had spent a good long time trying to figure out what was going on.
The thing that helped me understand how bass lines 'worked' was by teaching myself keys. From the piano basic and jazz chord theory became much more numerically understandable than from a guitar fretboard.
'Learning' an instrument (or bassline) and really 'understanding' it are two different things. Dont worry about 'playing a bass like a guitarist as the more instruments you have experience with the more your brain will follow whats going on musically.
Style wise....finger style. relaxed wrists and flat fast fingers on the fret board. Bass style is a lot more about what you dont play and how you mute and transition than the actual notes.
Have fun and good luck :)
Arguably the hardest students to teach are those who didn't or never chuck on a record and jam. Be it emulation or looking for comparisons it's vital to any 'musician'.