Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 808 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Re: GF whispered "Babe I wanna play bass"

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Good on her.
But the last thing you want to do is go out an spend a whole bunch of cash on new gear in this situation , even if she thinks this bass is nice, or that amp is prettier than that one.
In my experience, the conversion rate for newly intersted in guitar adults to functioning musicians is poor at best.
None of us have the time and motivation we did as kids/teens, not to mention the different neuro-cognitive stage we are in as adults as far as learning is concerned, particularly fine motor skills.
Bottom line for me is:
Interested/curious in bass/guitar -> get online/tardme and find someone who may have had similar ambitions last year and now is flicking of a bass and an amp.
I remember when I took up bass at the age of 14. I was awarded with a dusty old diplomat bass that had been living in the garden shed along side the lawn mower. It was a dog to play and sounded like someone dropping bricks into custard BUT it meant that by the time I had broken my hands in on it, and upgraded to a mighty samick, I was slapp'n that bass like some kind of delirious funky priest.
Sure, go to some stores, get a feel for what she may like, then sit back and wait for the right second hand stuff to show up.
Just my 2 cents.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Rog wrote:She wants to play bass : meh make her play drums, who can ever find one when they need it

She's not into heavy metal : smack some sense into her

She likes Hip Hop and R&B : better than country and western I suppose
fixed for ya old fella (never realised you and BG were that close :moresarc: )
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

sizzlingbadger wrote:I'd be grateful for any interest the missus showed in me these days :grump:
know the feeling, thats why you need lots of guitars :?
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Rog »

willow13 wrote:
Rog wrote:She wants to play bass : meh make her play drums, who can ever find one when they need it
She's not into heavy metal : smack some sense into her
She likes Hip Hop and R&B : better than country and western I suppose
fixed for ya old fella (never realised you and BG were that close :moresarc: )
Riffles. :P
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

Zaulkin wrote:So doonnnntttt beeeeee ssaaaaaddddd.........

'cos 2/3 is technically 66% which is about a B, and that's a reasonable grade.
:lol:

jumpingtam
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by jumpingtam »

StrummersOfThunder wrote:Good on her.
But the last thing you want to do is go out an spend a whole bunch of cash on new gear in this situation , even if she thinks this bass is nice, or that amp is prettier than that one.
In my experience, the conversion rate for newly intersted in guitar adults to functioning musicians is poor at best.
None of us have the time and motivation we did as kids/teens, not to mention the different neuro-cognitive stage we are in as adults as far as learning is concerned, particularly fine motor skills.
Bottom line for me is:
Interested/curious in bass/guitar -> get online/tardme and find someone who may have had similar ambitions last year and now is flicking of a bass and an amp.
I remember when I took up bass at the age of 14. I was awarded with a dusty old diplomat bass that had been living in the garden shed along side the lawn mower. It was a dog to play and sounded like someone dropping bricks into custard BUT it meant that by the time I had broken my hands in on it, and upgraded to a mighty samick, I was slapp'n that bass like some kind of delirious funky priest.
Sure, go to some stores, get a feel for what she may like, then sit back and wait for the right second hand stuff to show up.
Just my 2 cents.
That's a good point, however, problem with used stuff in TradeMe is their price is not that far from the brand one ones + they don't have warranty, in other words I don't see them as a steal.

When I see used gears (ex. amps) in TradeMe, most of the time they're only $100 - $200 less expensive than a brand new model in stores and they don't have warranty. For instruments, I think you can get away with it, but for gears with active electronics such as amps etc, I think its a joke.

We are happy to shell out up to $1k as long as the gears are mint and we are covered for a year.
nothing to see here

SixGunLover
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by SixGunLover »

jumpingtam wrote:
StrummersOfThunder wrote:Good on her.
Bottom line for me is:
Just my 2 cents.
That's a good point, however, problem with used stuff in TradeMe is their price is not that far from the brand one ones + they don't have warranty, in other words I don't see them as a steal.

When I see used gears (ex. amps) in TradeMe, most of the time they're only $100 - $200 less expensive than a brand new model in stores and they don't have warranty. For instruments, I think you can get away with it, but for gears with active electronics such as amps etc, I think its a joke.

We are happy to shell out up to $1k as long as the gears are mint and we are covered for a year.
I hear what you're saying, but for something like a sub 1k non-tube bass amp I think it's a non-issue as they so seldom go wrong; in the unlikely event that they did you've saved enough to cover your loss.

I would definitely say +1 to buying second hand for a beginner. The difference between buying my old bass and that new Squier is enough for a return flight to Tonga - take her on holiday. :lol:

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

Zaulkin wrote:

'cos 2/3 is technically 66% which is about a B, and that's a reasonable grade.
Really? I'd be quite disappointed with a B. But then I have an A average. :oops: :geek: [/smug]

Still, I suppose a B is better than what most uni students aim for, which is simply to pass. :crazy:

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

I reckon there are plenty of bargins out there. You just have to do your home work.
I frequently see very nice japanese P bass types up for grabs on trade me (hohner and the likes), 80s/90s yamahas and ibanez soundgears can be had for a steal and they are often far superior (IMHO) to a brand new chinese P bass.

Amps, as ong as your happy to stay bottom to middle range are also gonna be had pretty cheap.

Warranties: bass...slab of wood with strings and a coil. not much to warranty.
Amp: fair enough but most blow outs will be speaker cone which wont be under warranty anyway.

Here are some options from a 5min squiz at trade me.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrume ... 751440.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrume ... 642449.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrume ... 476815.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrume ... 248010.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrume ... 709980.htm

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 837 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by jimi »

While I'm all for the financial sense of buying off tardme so you don't lose as much in resale etc, and I agree there is minimal risk in buying a 2nd hand bass in terms of things going wrong, I also reckon getting the guitar you want will help in motivation to play it and learn to play it. This could be as simple as getting one in the colour you want which isn't going to be an option on Tardme unless you get lucky, or for some people even just knowing it hasn't been sweated on by pimpled bogans makes it a nicer guitar to pick up.

So yeah, if you've found a nice bass in a shop that she likes then go for it.

Amp wise I reckon go the tard me route. Beginners bass amps are hole to pour money down, you never buy anything big enough to start because you're a beginner and you don't need a big amp, but as soon as you jam with a drummer you realise that you need a bigger amp. I reckon the 30-120watt bass amp range is just there to line the pockets of music stores, anything bigger than a practice amp needs to be able to keep up with a drummer, and for that 100watts doesn't really cut it (for bass).

Rog

Post by Rog »

Amps like this one are insanely cheap, totally indestructible and will pound enough bass for most bands.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrume ... 730287.htm

It's your $$ but I'd stay away from Behringer bass amps. Yes they're cheap, but ...

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Frey wrote:I'm all for second hand also. Basically you're just going to get a lot more bang for your buck. If you are patient you could get a lot more bang. You could be looking at something that is significantly up the quality scale than you're going to be able to afford new.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrume ... 642449.htm

See this is essentially new, and what, half the price of new? looks pretty rad too.
Yep, good girl color too :)

jumpingtam
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by jumpingtam »

Wow. Thanks all for digging into TradeMe and sharing the link...big help.
Will consider and share with her the idea of used items...cheers!
nothing to see here

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

I was never called babe but sometimes she'd scream God!!
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Rog

Post by Rog »

calling card wrote:I was never called babe but sometimes she'd scream God!!
Was she dyslexic?