Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 50 times

Re: Bass nerds!

Post by KentNZ »

borge wrote:
KentNZ wrote:
borge wrote:get a 4 string bass and 5 string strings.
You can get the low end range of a 5 without all the negative conotations that come with owning a 5 :wink: :wave:
Have often wondered about this. Is it much more strain on the neck?
I assume you're asking is a 4 string tuned BEAD putting more stress on the neck than it being tuned EADG?
Well it could be less or more, it's totally dependant on the string gauge/s used for each tuning. :)
Wouldnt you just set up what would be a standard 5 string set, but not purchase a G? And that would mean.. what, more tension I would assume...
Larrivee 00 Acoustic. FAV Strat for electric. Ibanez SDGR5 for bass. Push for Ableton. When not doing that, 3D CAD for tunnels...

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

TmcB wrote: I would go for the G & L out of that lot, particularly if you're using it for recording. They have stupid amounts of options on board in terms of tone customization with the series/parallel and active/passive options.
Good call but, if it's for recording, does it matter very much about the tone options though?

I would have thought that that it would just have been a matter of playing and then sorting the sound from the mixing desk?

If you don't know what the rest of the mix is going to sound like, does one need to worry up front about the tone of the bass?
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

KentNZ wrote:Wouldnt you just set up what would be a standard 5 string set, but not purchase a G? And that would mean.. what, more tension I would assume...
I think I've read somewhere that bass strings are under less tension than guitar strings. Is that true?

They DO feel slacker, at least to me.

Can you just tell people to hold a string when you're buying a set?

I don't think I've ever tried that!
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

Thickness <> tension.
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

Vince wrote:
TmcB wrote: I would go for the G & L out of that lot, particularly if you're using it for recording. They have stupid amounts of options on board in terms of tone customization with the series/parallel and active/passive options.
Good call but, if it's for recording, does it matter very much about the tone options though?

I would have thought that that it would just have been a matter of playing and then sorting the sound from the mixing desk?

If you don't know what the rest of the mix is going to sound like, does one need to worry up front about the tone of the bass?
Better toget the tone you want up front. Fixing it inthe mix isn't often a good idea.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

Polar Bear wrote: Better toget the tone you want up front. Fixing it inthe mix isn't often a good idea.
yeah, but if you don't know what the rest of the mix is going to sound like..? Is it worth worrying about the bass' original tone up front?

badmotor wrote: Thickness <> tension.
No, but when I've broken a string, I notice that thick strings (even on guitar) just sit there, while it's the higher pitched strings that really snap.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Bass nerds!

Post by TmcB »

Vince wrote:
Polar Bear wrote: Better toget the tone you want up front. Fixing it inthe mix isn't often a good idea.
yeah, but if you don't know what the rest of the mix is going to sound like..? Is it worth worrying about the bass' original tone up front?
My view is that the further the signal gets from your fingers, the less beneficial effect EQ has.

In recording terms, the more you have to boost, the more potential for distortion you have.

If you're getting the sound you want right off the instrument, the more organic, less processed, and ultimately better sounding the recording will be. There are also things you just can't easily EQ in after the fact without a detrimental effect. It can be easier to mix in an instrument that already has some inherent EQ, like a P Bass.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

TmcB wrote: If you're getting the sound you want right off the instrument, the more organic, less processed, and ultimately better sounding the recording will be. There are also things you just can't easily EQ in after the fact without a detrimental effect. It can be easier to mix in an instrument that already has some inherent EQ, like a P Bass.
Yeah, fair enough. Just curious.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

borge
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by borge »

Vince wrote:
badmotor wrote: Thickness <> tension.
No, but when I've broken a string, I notice that thick strings (even on guitar) just sit there, while it's the higher pitched strings that really snap.
I'd say that's a function of mass and elasticity....especially as the tensions on each string are pretty close. .

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

the Massive clip = a Ken Smith Bass. He's an interesting guy, well worth a read up about

I can't hear any bass guitar in the clip but suspect that is Leland Sklar's line from the Billy Cobham classic "Stratus" which came off the "Spectrum" album. Tommy Bolin really rips it up on this record.

no idea why people convert 4's into 4's with 5's low tuning. Buy a decent 5 eh :lol:

Kramer had a Spector license in the late '80's for sure. On paper at least that is far and away the best instrument listed.
what did you go for in the end BM?
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

foal30 wrote: Kramer had a Spector license in the late '80's for sure. On paper at least that is far and away the best instrument listed.
what did you go for in the end BM?
Oh hey man,

Yeah - I had to put the bass guitar thing on hold after my infamous DSL 50 committed suicide. Yeah, I've heard about that Stratus bass line before... very interesting.
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by Kev77 »

Pbass, flat wounds. End of..
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

smallface
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 221 times

Post by smallface »

Kev77 wrote:Pbass, flat wounds. End of..
We speak the same language.
I climbed on the back of a giant albatross which flew through a crack in the cloud to a place where happiness reigned all year round and music played ever so loudly

snitchez
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by snitchez »

smallface wrote:
Kev77 wrote:Pbass, flat wounds. End of..
We speak the same language.
played my p with flats today, only missing a lil 'bite' :(

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by Kev77 »

Play while you chew gum,
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius