Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Re: Starter Bass

Post by Scooter13 »

I just got a Warwick Streamer Rockbass for $250. Brand new $100 flat wounds on it too.
I know nothing about basses so my bassist just threw it at me for cheap since he just got an MTD. So far I like it a lot. I did some rough recording with it yesterday and it sat beautifully in the mix. Just another option to consider. Happy for someone to tell me it's a lemon :P

SammyD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SammyD »

ops, was meant to be a pm.... noob...
If I was of the ilk to place quotes in signatures ... this would be in mine. - NZRS-Dave

SammyD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SammyD »

ash wrote:Don't get a short scale bass unless you're asking to be accused of being a patronising pig trying to undersell your woman's capabilities ;)
But Ash, what if I want to play it? How will I stretch all the way down to the first fret??

Thanks for that Vince, I don't think she will start out chugging away on one note, she can play pretty simple lead stuff on my guitar and she's already told me she doesn't want to play anything "easy", not exactly sure what she means by that but yeah...
If I was of the ilk to place quotes in signatures ... this would be in mine. - NZRS-Dave

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

SammyD wrote: Thanks for that Vince, I don't think she will start out chugging away on one note, she can play pretty simple lead stuff on my guitar and she's already told me she doesn't want to play anything "easy", not exactly sure what she means by that but yeah...
Ah. In that case it's different. :lol:

As far as short scale basses go, I quite like the Epiphone EB-0 (I've had two). The sound can be a bit controversial, some call it muddy, I call it grunty.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 837 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by jimi »

Bass Guitar ... the girlfriend instrument. Awesome.

With a budget of $200 I'd just trawl tard me for the cheapest Jazz copy you can find. Try to get something with a known brand on the headstock like a squier just cos it will be easier to resell if she enjoys playing bass and wants to get a decent one, or easier to resell if she gets bored and you want to flick it.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

One of the reasons I play in bands is to escape my family every now and then.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

Another vote for the humble J&D bass, I use it while my kid plays a mean guitar. It's full scale but the body is small, never looked after that well and on it gleefully lives.

My loose plan of finding sanctuary in bass when I admit I can't play guitar is fading, it may well be tougher.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

Scooter13 wrote:I just got a Warwick Streamer Rockbass for $250. Brand new $100 flat wounds on it too.
I know nothing about basses so my bassist just threw it at me for cheap since he just got an MTD. So far I like it a lot. I did some rough recording with it yesterday and it sat beautifully in the mix. Just another option to consider. Happy for someone to tell me it's a lemon :P
tell us more about the MTD please!
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

foal30 wrote:
Scooter13 wrote:I just got a Warwick Streamer Rockbass for $250. Brand new $100 flat wounds on it too.
tell us more about the MTD please!
I don't know much but if you really wanted I'd get him to write up a review. It's one of these in natural gloss and 5 string. http://www.mtdkingston.com/basses/Z.htm
It weighs less than my Ash telecaster and if you're over zealous on the treble knob it's as bright and clicky as a tin can. I can prob upload a sound demo too, as I recorded it for some covers demos the other day.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

mickeyj4j
Stagg
Stagg

Post by mickeyj4j »

Hey what's the latest update. Did you get a bass, did she learn to play ets. Just interested.