Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Re: Beatles violin basses and similar?

Post by Vince »

I'm thinking of getting one in a general move back to electrics.

I tried the Epiphone version of it today.

A bit disappointed, the acoustic sound was kind of not there, the neck felt chunky and the tuners did that ugly thing of being hard to tighten but slack afterward (I don't know the exact terms). Did I just try a bad one? Does anyone like them?
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

That Epi one arrived in the shop only yesterday and is in dire need of a setup. The little Stagg on next to it may have been more to your liking as its actually hollow, so it's acoustic sound is much more pronounced.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

Polar Bear wrote:That Epi one arrived in the shop only yesterday and is in dire need of a setup. The little Stagg on next to it may have been more to your liking as its actually hollow, so it's acoustic sound is much more pronounced.
Yeah, but the neck on the Stagg just felt nicer. Kind of more business like, in some way. I don't think that's setup. There's only a couple of hundred bucks' difference between the Stagg and the Epi so it's possible that the Stagg might just be punching a little above its weight.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

The Epi is actually only $599 at the moment, so not a hugely expensive instrument. For me, I prefer it's neck and solid body, but I think the Stagg is far better than it should be for the price, it sounds pretty authentic too, very thumpy.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

Polar Bear wrote:The Epi is actually only $599 at the moment, so not a hugely expensive instrument. For me, I prefer it's neck and solid body, but I think the Stagg is far better than it should be for the price, it sounds pretty authentic too, very thumpy.
No, the Epi just LOOKS expensive, I must admit I was a bit surprised when I looked at the price tag. :D Certainly feels less "toy-like" than the Stagg. I did find the Stagg's neck a lot more agile though.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 815 times
Been liked: 1304 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

I owned an epiphone viola bass copy about 10 years ago, I regret selling it very much.
$599 I would say is a very good price. I would rate them as the best of the hofner 500/1 copies. And sound wise, I think once you slap on some half rounds or rounds you will be able to emmulate the classic hofner tone very closely. Haha, and it sounds like they are emulating the hofner tuning pegs too!!!
In my opinion epiphone is the better than the stagg.
Good luck