Feedback on my lead tone/sound ??

Lets hear your sound clips...

Moderator: Capt. Black

Mini Forklift
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Feedback on my lead tone/sound ??

Post by Mini Forklift »

Hi guys,

Just figured out how to upload something to Soundcloud haha. Seeing as I don't currently play in a band and my wife isn't a dependable reference point, just interested in what you think of my tone :cry:

To my ears, I like it. To me, It's identifiable and it's probably a kind of a hybrid-mash of tones of the players I appreciate (you tell me who you think they are) ?!

Excuse the quality, was recorded on my phone simply as a reference point to capture some different reverb settings I'm playing around with. For anyone interested, I'm using my 91 Mexican Strat through my Marshall SS 100w combo paired with my Jet City 20w valve head.

Last edited by Mini Forklift on Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 374 times

Re: Feedback on my lead tone/sound ??

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

Awesome! Sounds brilliant for a phone recording. I'm hearing some SRV... Not my cup of tea, but sounds like a great tone for that type of thing. Is that all off the bridge pickup? Would love to hear a fatter version of that sound.

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

Actually, listening again I can hear you switch pickups... and I might need to listen with better headphones!

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by MrDINO »

Yes sounds SRVish to my ears too. The Jet City head always amazes me for the buck

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Starts on the neck pickup then switch to the middle which gives out a little more drive. Interesting to me that you can pick SRV out of that.

Thanks, I'll try and record a few more more clips over the weekend and drop them in here. Currently attempting to record an EP or something along those lines, got all the software but just need more spare time!

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

I should possibly qualify that by saying strat based blues is not something I have any nuanced knowledge of. You might be copping Robert Cray or... somebody else who plays blues on a strat... I have no reference for that.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Darth Sabbathi wrote:I should possibly qualify that by saying strat based blues is not something I have any nuanced knowledge of. You might be copping Robert Cray or... somebody else who plays blues on a strat... I have no reference for that.
TBH I tend to find Strat-based blues players a bit of the predictable side, with a few notable exceptions such as guys such as Matt Schofield or Robben Ford ~ that's the kind of tone I'm after! Never could get into Robert Cray personally, have always found his playing somewhat unexciting and sterile sounding.

The first guitar player that made a massive impact was Steve Rothery, and to this day I idolise him. After my Marillion obsession came SRV who was another early influence for me, although I got into his stuff after I had found Hendrix. Then obviously I sunk my teeth into all the players that blues players do with the addition of a heap of cool music from my Dad's record collection ~ The Beatles, Focus, Peter Frampton, Taste, Yes, Bill Bruford, Johnny Smith, John McLaughlin, Pat Metheny et al.

Nowadays I listen to heaps of different music, blues probably makes up maybe 25% of what I listen to if that. These last couple of weeks I've bought the Kula Shaker album, some funk in the form of Rock Candy Funk Party, Richie Kotzen's new album and Elvis Presley with The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra 8)

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Nice tone and nice playing. Sounds a lot less gainy than SRV to me.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Darth Sabbathi wrote:Would love to hear a fatter version of that sound.
Hopefully I can make that happen, waiting for 'The Dude' by J Rockett to arrive at my doorstep which should add some phat.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote: Interesting to me that you can pick SRV out of that.
+1

Sounds real nice man... kinda almost like a rolled off FF tone. I like it :)

Clanger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Clanger »

Sounds honky as hell -- love it.

Sounds like Red House - Jimi Hendrix tone to me.
Make Music Great Again