Pastasauce
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 30 times

A recording from my sunday gig

Post by Pastasauce »

Yeah that's fair - I reckon the tone stuff hardly matters to anyone. I enjoy feeling like I have good tone though, and for better or worse it makes me enjoy playing more. Pretty happy with my setup now.

This would be on the slower side of what we do. But even the faster stuff is still pretty mellow. I find in that setting my Timmy gets a lot of use at a low gain setting, and then it's mostly subtle delay or modulation to add some texture here or there. Again, stuff only I may notice but it's fun. Every now and then I'll step on something more medium gain, like a Catalinbread DLS set to half gain (used to have one, and have ordered another one from Ryan).

So that's that for church. I play a fair bit at home too, of course. And over the last few years I've ended up playing at a few covers type gigs - everything from Christmas carols to a teachers' end of year party - a few times each year. That's probably where having a few different sounds comes most I handy.

Pastasauce
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Pastasauce »

Hot_Grits wrote:I think Pasta and six-string-cut-and-paste should get a room.
This one's going over my head... Want to explain it to me?

Tonemaker
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: A recording from my sunday gig

Post by Tonemaker »

There must be some way to do it where your million dollar tone doesn't come out the sound desk or pa sounding like just avg gear.. and thats not just from hearing your song.. is that just the downfall of having a avg pa or something? I guess that can or has also happened at some big shows I have been to but never really thought about it... I guess this is going off topic a bit but my point is I was expecting to hear your gear come through the music. Now it has me wondering, Ill have to go listen to a few live vids of VH, Slash, n stuff... you know you mentioned not being so hot on PS but really.. on a number of their songs I feel like I can hear the guitar and amp in the song and having the oh I want to find out what amp, pickup, guitars he is using..
I had a dream last night, that everything I have got replaced with an exact replica.... (Steven Wright)

Dayna
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Dayna »

Nice basic mix off desk. Had that easy Sunday vibe pull through and hit me. :)

Pastasauce
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Pastasauce »

Cheers Dayna. .

Tonemaker - I dunno. It's not a great recording, and it's not been mixed. But I'm pretty happy with the sound. At the same time, it doesn't really call attention to itself.

On my sound cloud I have some recordings made with my Tele and LP thru my old JCM800 and I reckon there is a really noticeable difference in tone. So maybe it's just the context.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

Pastasauce wrote:Cheers Dayna. .

Tonemaker - I dunno. It's not a great recording, and it's not been mixed. But I'm pretty happy with the sound. At the same time, it doesn't really call attention to itself.

On my sound cloud I have some recordings made with my Tele and LP thru my old JCM800 and I reckon there is a really noticeable difference in tone. So maybe it's just the context.
I'm not sure I'd pay any attention to Tonemaker's sound comments. Given the type of music/amps he likes, hearing loss of some degree is pretty much guaranteed. :mrgreen:

On a serious note, I thought your guitar sounded pretty good through the murk of that recording.

Pastasauce
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Pastasauce »

benderissimo wrote:On a serious note, I thought your guitar sounded pretty good through the murk of that recording.
Thanks!

All is well. :-).

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

Pastasauce wrote:
TIme of the month?
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Tonemaker
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Tonemaker »

benderissimo wrote:
Pastasauce wrote:Cheers Dayna. .

I'm not sure I'd pay any attention to Tonemaker's sound comments. Given the type of music/amps he likes, hearing loss of some degree is pretty much guaranteed. :mrgreen:

On a serious note, I thought your guitar sounded pretty good through the murk of that recording.
Well I know the clips he did with the JCM 800 were much clearer better recordings. Im not picking on Rhett, what I was hearing was most likely nothing close to the quality of the sound coming from his amp when he played that tune. I have heard that a number of times from other places I have gone to see bands play, it just made me wonder what has to happen to get the sound to be the same or similar quality coming out of a PA system..

Given the types of music I like ?? I listen to everything, everything from Jazz/Blues to Id say harder rock.

My hearing loss is quite severe however not from loud music at all, some problem with the 3 bones that effectively re- produce sound. But even with my hearing loss, I can usually pick out some detail but no where as well as others that have all their hearing.
I had a dream last night, that everything I have got replaced with an exact replica.... (Steven Wright)

Pastasauce
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Pastasauce »

Tonemaker - it's all good man. Tone is in the fingers after all. ;-). I'm ok if my fingers are the only ones that notice my tone!

Hamo - no clearer, I'm afraid. :roll:

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Tonemaker wrote: Well I know the clips he did with the JCM 800 were much clearer better recordings. Im not picking on Rhett, what I was hearing was most likely nothing close to the quality of the sound coming from his amp when he played that tune. I have heard that a number of times from other places I have gone to see bands play, it just made me wonder what has to happen to get the sound to be the same or similar quality coming out of a PA system..

Given the types of music I like ?? I listen to everything, everything from Jazz/Blues to Id say harder rock.

My hearing loss is quite severe however not from loud music at all, some problem with the 3 bones that effectively re- produce sound. But even with my hearing loss, I can usually pick out some detail but no where as well as others that have all their hearing.
Sorry man, that was meant as a gentle dig about you liking loud amps.

Seriously though, it's extremely difficult to capture a performance in that kind of environment. Straight out of the desk will sound nothing at all like the sound in the room, and even placing mics to record the room sound is pretty variable. I've recorded a few and the best results have always been to record both a feed from the desk (or even direct outs from each channel) and a pair of room mics separately and then mix them later. Even then the recordings can be a bit of a crap shoot. Rhett's one is a long way from definitive proof that his rig doesn't sound good though.

Tonemaker
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Tonemaker »

That was pretty much my point, that his rig IS top notch but it didnt (too me) seem to come through the recording.

Pastasauce
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Pastasauce »

Tonemaker wrote:That was pretty much my point, that his rig IS top notch but it didnt (too me) seem to come through the recording.
It depends on what you mean by top notch... it's just a Fender Tele through an 18w Marshall. It's not a Nash Tele with Lollars through a Matchless Lightning.

To me it sounds like a single coil guitar through an amp who's clean I like. But maybe not one that will make the congregation weep because I've forever ruined music for them, since no one will ever match my tone.

...Maybe when I get my Strymon Blue Sky, though...

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Tonemaker wrote:That was pretty much my point, that his rig IS top notch but it didnt (too me) seem to come through the recording.
What I was getting at is that your point is meaningless as the recording isn't representative of anything. It's not well recorded because it wasn't set up to capture a good recording. It's not representative of what it sounds like in the space because that's incredibly hard to capture- especially in a big room. The recording doesn't show his amp off because it wasn't set up with that purpose. Also, if it was recorded straight from the sound desk I'd bet willing to bet that the electric guitar is pretty low in the mix because his amp was loud enough that it didn't need much reinforcement.

FWIW I thought the electric guitar sound was pretty nice. Not a fan of the acoustic though- piezo = bleurgh!

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

hamo wrote:
Pastasauce wrote:
TIme of the month?
It's always his time of month when it comes to me. :lol:
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world