Moderator: Capt. Black

corsair
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 4 times

song lyric...

Post by corsair »

I know... I know - this is for tabs but I can't see a lyric thread anyplace!! Anyway I have a lyric that's been bugging me for about 15 years and I cannot find it anywhere, or indeed anyone that knows the song so you blokes are my last great white hope....

Song is "The cat was a junkie" by Ronnie Milsap and the lyric that I've always just fudged over onstage is at 1.38 - 1.42, and starts, "Rufus Thomas on the ??"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1ibDUBbr98[/youtube]

Any of you guys help; it's like an itch you can't scratch, eh!!
There is no sort of aberrant behaviour that cannot be modified by use of the correct ammunition!

JD
Gibson

Re: song lyric...

Post by JD »

On the sm....for smack possibly?
Country blues and acoustic lover.

corsair
Gibson

Post by corsair »

Well... my better half came and had a listen and reckons the line is "Rufus Thomas on the FM", so I Googled Rufus Thomas and he was a blues muso - amongst other things - quite popular on the radio in the mid 70's when FM was just starting to catch on, so there's another possibility!!

Thanks, man!
There is no sort of aberrant behaviour that cannot be modified by use of the correct ammunition!

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Rog »

I heard it as Rufus Thomas, all the others ~ everyone has gone and left him helpless ... although on the airwaves make sense too, since RT was a DJ.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

I vote "on the FM". Here's another version that predates Milsap and it's a little clearer. It sounds like both versions are fudging the pronunciation of "F.M" to make it sort-of-rhyme with "left him". Also these guys seem to be singing "in a coma" not "in a corner"
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDL_OcAkQJk[/youtube]
Last edited by Some Bozo on Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

sounds a bit like "Rufus Thomas on the airfare".....but "on the FM" sounds more logically right

Maybe ask on his facebook page???

first time I have ever heard of Ronnie Milsap, but I liked it a lot

EDIT*some bozo's link to me confirms "on the FM"
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by NZRS-Dave »

I thought it was 'on the advent'

But seeing the offering of 'on the FM' seems much better.

However, how old is this song and when did FM radio become popular? I remember only AM stations as a boy and this song seems older than that.
Yup - that's me and my pal Steve or little stevie vai as I like to call him. In Auckland airport when I was 26. I'm not 26 anymore.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Rog »

The song was written by Roy Orbison apparently.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

NZRS-Dave wrote:I thought it was 'on the advent'

However, how old is this song and when did FM radio become popular? I remember only AM stations as a boy and this song seems older than that.
FM radio has been around since the late 30's, don't know when it became "popular" but reference to it can mean a number of things
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

JD
Gibson

Post by JD »

I also heard it as "On the FM" and thought ok, maybe the music reference but then looked up drug references and thought ok, maybe sm since there seems to be no FM references in drug slang.

It doesn't sound sibilant enough for an "s", so yeah, could be FM.
I had a search of google just like you probably did and turned up nothing.
Country blues and acoustic lover.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Yeah. FM.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

willow13 wrote:
NZRS-Dave wrote:I thought it was 'on the advent'

FM radio has been around since the late 30's, don't know when it became "popular" but reference to it can mean a number of things
I think the deal with FM in the U.S. is it started to take off in the sixties and 70s when the AM frequencies were already filled up with long-established mainstream stations, and because it ws a niche market because you had to buy a fancy new radio to pick up it, FM stations tended to be less popular left-field stuff, so listenign to FM probably had a vaguely "underground" connotation when this song was written, the kind of wacky "out there" thing you'd associate with junkies :lol: . But I'd guess the main reason for "FM" is it has the right number of syllables.
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

corsair
Gibson

Post by corsair »

Thanks, fellas - Milsaps' version came out in 1974 and I remember hearing it a couple of times on 4XO in Dunedin and thinking "Wow; this is a great song!!" back then; enough to actually listen for the DJ to tell me who the singer was and the track name!

The version SB posted was 1970; I thought these two wrote it, so the Roy Orbison thing is new to me - thanks Rog!!