Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jennz
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Been liked: 14 times

Gold Hardware restoring ?

Post by jennz »

Has anyone restored the oxidized gold hardware on a guitar. Actually I do not think oxidized is right as gold does not tarnish or oxidize ?
here examples are attached.
Attachments
2102538861.jpg
2102538861.jpg (275.56 KiB) Viewed 782 times
2102538939.jpg
2102538939.jpg (176.03 KiB) Viewed 802 times
2102538837.jpg
2102538837.jpg (303.84 KiB) Viewed 802 times

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 863 times
Been liked: 742 times

Re: Gold Hardware restoring ?

Post by olegmcnoleg »

jennz wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:20 pm Has anyone restored the oxidized gold hardware on a guitar. Actually I do not think oxidized is right as gold does not tarnish or oxidize ?
My understanding here is that the pitting you see is oxidisation of the metal underneath the (very thin) gold plating. I don't think there is any compound or simple process that can restore the gold. At least, that is my understanding.

On the positive side, some of us much prefer guitars that look worn in (or worn out). :-)

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 222 times

Post by IMOCD »

jennz wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:20 pm Has anyone restored the oxidized gold hardware on a guitar. Actually I do not think oxidized is right as gold does not tarnish or oxidize ?
Interesting approach to stringing. Tell me more.

jennz
Stagg
Stagg

Post by jennz »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:25 pm
My understanding here is that the pitting you see is oxidisation of the metal underneath the (very thin) gold plating. I don't think there is any compound or simple process that can restore the gold. At least, that is my understanding.

On the positive side, some of us much prefer guitars that look worn in (or worn out). :-)
Yes I agree . I will be stripping it and will use a Ultrasonic clean first.

jennz
Stagg
Stagg

Post by jennz »

IMOCD wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:26 pm
That is what I thought too when I bought it . The previous owner said he had to do that to stop the bass strings touching the bridge !
It arrives tomorrow I can then see why .

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1210 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Personally I wouldn't use an ultrasonic cleaner on those parts, they look pretty clean generally. You can polish the parts very lightly with Autosol and they will come up shiny, you may start to lose the gold finish though if you are not very careful. A proper setup and raising the tail stop will sort out the string height on the back of the bridge.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1072 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Top wrapping. It eliminates/diminishes the break angle at the bridge making the strings slinkier and looser feeling.

It also allows you to deck out the stop bar which some players believe sounds better (I can't hear any difference).

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

jennz wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:09 pm That is what I thought too when I bought it . The previous owner said he had to do that to stop the bass strings touching the bridge !
I usually top wrap my tune o matic style bridges like those bass strings, I don't think I've seen a mix of some top wrapped and some wrapped normally!

jennz
Stagg
Stagg

Post by jennz »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:29 pm Personally I wouldn't use an ultrasonic cleaner on those parts, they look pretty clean generally. You can polish the parts very lightly with Autosol and they will come up shiny, you may start to lose the gold finish though if you are not very careful. A proper setup and raising the tail stop will sort out the string height on the back of the bridge.
Yes I already sussed that.

jennz
Stagg
Stagg

Post by jennz »

NippleWrestler wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:43 pm
Top wrapping. It eliminates/diminishes the break angle at the bridge making the strings slinkier and looser feeling.

It also allows you to deck out the stop bar which some players believe sounds better (I can't hear any difference).
Well I say . Thats a mew one for me

jennz
Stagg
Stagg

Post by jennz »

Lyle wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:54 pm
jennz wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:09 pm That is what I thought too when I bought it . The previous owner said he had to do that to stop the bass strings touching the bridge !
I usually top wrap my tune o matic style bridges like those bass strings, I don't think I've seen a mix of some top wrapped and some wrapped normally!
Some thing new to me . That is why I love this Site.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 826 times
Been liked: 1316 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

What guitar is that ?

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2492 times

Post by Slowy »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:05 pm What guitar is that ?
I'm guessing an SX Lester
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jennz
Stagg
Stagg

Post by jennz »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:05 pm What guitar is that ?
It is a SX Les Paul Custom Deluxe Version Model EH3BK. Sold a long time ago in NZ but still available in Aust.

jennz
Stagg
Stagg

Post by jennz »

Received the guitar and was pleased to see and play it. To to brighten up the gold hardware I first tried warm water and detergent........ no improvement. Next napthan......No result. Then tried a very light CRC Polish wax....... The result was great and did not remove any of the gold plating as can be seen by the attached pics. I could have replaced all of the hardware but as mentioned earlier by others . LEAVE WELL ALONE ! Why spoil the nice aged patina effect.
Attachments
IMG_1218.JPG
IMG_1218.JPG (2.24 MiB) Viewed 425 times