Pickups, Pots, Caps, Wiring

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

User avatar
BY moliere
#831765
2007 Les Paul Custom Classic (SD Custom Custom (bridge), SD Pearly Gates (neck). Pretty happy with the tone, but starting to get some scratchyness in the pots that my deoxit isn't coping with. Figured I'd replace the pots/jack/caps and maybe the selector while I'm at it. I'd like to get the best quality I can for tone and longevity. I've seen a few harnesses and kits around, and a lot of debate on types of capacitors.

Would love to buy local if that option is available (I see some Tone Lounge stuff). Any suggestions?
#831776
I'm a bourns fan for pots. And my last 7 builds have all had gotoh switches in them which have been nothing short of great. I'm not sure why I paid double for switchcraft when the gotohs are easily their equal.

Switchcraft Jack's are still the ones to get though.

Tonelounge didn't reply to any of the 3 emails I sent last month when I was getting my parts together so I bought from realtone and eBay. Saved about 15% and the wait was about 10 days.

I've never had the need for a harness as I do it all myself but there's a ton of options. I wouldn't put too much stock in capacitors either but if you want to spend your money I've got some bumblebees in my Les Paul. They look nice but functionally no different from a 25c part.
User avatar
BY GrantB
#831783
jeremyb wrote:https://tonelounge.co.nz/guitar-wiring-harness/

100% go for the obsidian wire stuff, Mat makes them here in Christchurch, I have one in my Tele and it rules!!


I'm planning a Strat build and his 5 way with neck pu blend is first choice!
User avatar
BY jeremyb
#831785
GrantB wrote:
jeremyb wrote:https://tonelounge.co.nz/guitar-wiring-harness/

100% go for the obsidian wire stuff, Mat makes them here in Christchurch, I have one in my Tele and it rules!!


I'm planning a Strat build and his 5 way with neck pu blend is first choice!


I have his 4 way in my tele and its so good, easiest wiring upgrade ever!! Just need to twist his arm to do a broadcaster wiring setup for a future project :mrgreen:
User avatar
BY Molly
#831787
Another vote for Mat. :thumbup:

Being 12,000 miles away I opted to buy Bare Knuckle pots for my SG. These 'custom taper' pots have the worst taper I've ever encountered. Just about everything disappears in the first third of a turn. And they weren't cheap.
#831798
NippleWrestler wrote:I'm a bourns fan for pots. And my last 7 builds have all had gotoh switches in them which have been nothing short of great. I'm not sure why I paid double for switchcraft when the gotohs are easily their equal.

Switchcraft Jack's are still the ones to get though.

Tonelounge didn't reply to any of the 3 emails I sent last month when I was getting my parts together so I bought from realtone and eBay. Saved about 15% and the wait was about 10 days.

I've never had the need for a harness as I do it all myself but there's a ton of options. I wouldn't put too much stock in capacitors either but if you want to spend your money I've got some bumblebees in my Les Paul. They look nice but functionally no different from a 25c part.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

This is awkward. Flick me a message so we can follow up.

I have been known to miss an email from time to time, but three is unusual.
#831799
Don't worry about it, I got everything from elsewhere. My last email was about the jazz bass wiring kit you have and if the pots could be swapped out for 500k. I didn't get a response so figured you were too busy, or out of business.

Either way, I'm sorted now.
User avatar
BY jvpp
#831801
Molly wrote:Another vote for Mat. :thumbup:

Being 12,000 miles away I opted to buy Bare Knuckle pots for my SG. These 'custom taper' pots have the worst taper I've ever encountered. Just about everything disappears in the first third of a turn. And they weren't cheap.


I don't think any if these custom pots are worth buying/using. The only thing custom is their inflated price.
User avatar
BY Molly
#831803
ToneLoungeMatt wrote:
NippleWrestler wrote:I'm a bourns fan for pots. And my last 7 builds have all had gotoh switches in them which have been nothing short of great. I'm not sure why I paid double for switchcraft when the gotohs are easily their equal.

Switchcraft Jack's are still the ones to get though.

Tonelounge didn't reply to any of the 3 emails I sent last month when I was getting my parts together so I bought from realtone and eBay. Saved about 15% and the wait was about 10 days.

I've never had the need for a harness as I do it all myself but there's a ton of options. I wouldn't put too much stock in capacitors either but if you want to spend your money I've got some bumblebees in my Les Paul. They look nice but functionally no different from a 25c part.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

This is awkward. Flick me a message so we can follow up.

I have been known to miss an email from time to time, but three is unusual.


Spam filter maybe. I discovered today that my Education Gazette emails (the way I keep in touch with the NZ teaching job market) had inexplicably started going into my spam folder.
#831808
NippleWrestler wrote:Don't worry about it, I got everything from elsewhere. My last email was about the jazz bass wiring kit you have and if the pots could be swapped out for 500k. I didn't get a response so figured you were too busy, or out of business.

Either way, I'm sorted now.


All good. I am glad you got it sorted.

Flick me a message through here if you have trouble reaching us again. I will be happy to help.
#831871
I've some VIPots on the way courtesey of Ebay. They are advertised as clones of the old Centralabs pots. $54 ( kiwi ) for four sent to Youshop. The postage otherwise would have been almost as much as the pots.