Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Humbucker covers

Post by Aquila Rossa »

i have bought a 1997 Les Paul Studio and want to swap the pickups. The Seymour Duncan Whole Lotta Humbucker set has chrome covers. The Gibson has gold hardware that has that nice worn look old Customs have where most of the gold has rubbed off. I am thinking it might be an idea to swap the pickup covers. Would there be any issues like glue instead of solder or different fit etc to look out for?

edit. I was hankering for a SG, but this will do. The price was right. If I can polish the frets and do a setup to get it to sound and play as well as a good SG or Les Paul Standard, I am not fussed for the extra bling that means extra cost. Yeah, i am putting mustard caps in it. Not because they sound better. But because they have a good kick and troll factor to them :)

I did not get on with the PRS SE 245 I bought here. Nice tone with the SD pups, but I did not like the feel of it. Kind of like having a girlfriend you are not so into. It did not give me the urge to play. The SD WLH pickups are awesome though. i really like them

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Re: Humbucker covers

Post by foal30 »

Hullo AR

I trust you are well

Congragulations on your purchase.
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

jaxman16
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jaxman16 »

Aquila Rossa wrote:Kind of like having a girlfriend you are not so into.
Hahaha, nice analogy there.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Pole spacing will need to be the same, I would go with solder not glue so you get the proper screening properties of the covers.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

I've swapped some and just used solder. The wax melted a bit which also holds everything together.