Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

bender
Darth Fader
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Strat trems - educate me

Post by bender »

I recently picked up a pretty cool MIM strat but can’t quite get the trem sorted the way I’d like it. There are two main issues that need addressing and I’m wondering if I’d be better off replacing the whole unit.

1) the trem arm doesn’t fit all that well. I bought a replacement arm from the Rockshop and was assured that it’s the correct one (we test fitted it in the shop) but there’s a tiny bit of a wobble/play which I really hate.

2) the saddle height screws are really short - I have them almost wound right through the saddle in order to get the strings to a height I like

One option would to replace the trem block with a GFS one and get the correct fitting arm as well, and then find some replacement height screws, but I wonder if replacing the whole unit might be a better option. There’s a huge difference between MIM and USA jazzmaster trems, so I figure there’s probably a similar difference in strat land. Fender ones are fricken expensive so I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Gotoh or Wilkinson ones that GuitarParts sell? Are they likely to be an improvement on the stock one?

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Re: Strat trems - educate me

Post by sizzlingbadger »

A Telecaster is the best improvement you can make to a Strat.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 808 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

The trem fit wont effect how easy it will incinerate in a bonfire

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

Strat trem arms normally gave a spring to hold them a bit tighter or you can use some PTFE tape.

For the bridge I think US strats are 56mm and MiM are normally 52mm so you can't swap (there's some exceptions). I haven't tried a gotoh strat bridge but their Floyd Rose's are awesome it would probably be a decent upgrade, not sure if it will fix the saddle height issue.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

There are a couple of saddle height screw sizes available. Getting the right length so they work without tearing your hand open requires a small grinder and more patience than I can muster.

The only way I have found to remove the slack in a vintage Strat trem arm is to detach the arm and hammer a hardwood wedge between the trem block and body. Some have suggested wrapping it in tinfoil before inserting, but then it's a PITA to get it out again.
You want a wobbly Strat? Duesenberg Paloma. :moresarc:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

Lyle wrote: PTFE tape.
This is a good idea; I'll try that. :thumbup:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Saddle height issue is because a previous owned has filed the grub screws down so they don't protrude. I think he's just taken a wee bit too much off them.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

I want to give this thing a decent chance before I give up on strat trems altogether, but equally I don't want to spend heaps on it. Will give the PTFE tape thing a try.Saddles are OK now, but right at the limit of their height adjustment. If I keep it I'll definitely want to remedy that.

The main thing I'd like to know is if the MIM trems are shittier than the USA ones and if a Gotoh or Wilkinson will be an improvement.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

bender wrote:Saddle height issue is because a previous owned has filed the grub screws down so they don't protrude. I think he's just taken a wee bit too much off them.
Setting up a Strat is a series of adjustments in 214 different places :think: . If you want action slightly higher then playing card shim? Also, if bridge is floating then some adjustment there can make short screws work. Happy to set it up when I get to the Mosrite.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Gotoh is an improvement in lots of cases, but it smells like a shim or longer grub screws will do the trick.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Gotoh trems are good, ideally you want a solid steel block, the mexi Strat ones are solid but some kind of alloy
Ptfe is your friend, but as above, if you drop a tiny spring down the trem shaft before inserting the arm, that works too. Fender make one for this purpose.
You can buy the saddle screws in different lengths, it’s a good idea to use a mix of long and short screws, then you can get the saddles all the right height and not impale your hand on the protruding shafts ( oh err)

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

The six screws that secure the trem to the body are most often I find flush with the trem itself. However, if you remove the strings and springs and articulate the trem you'll see that it actually binds a little and is restricted from its full movement. I back-off the six screws a little and fully depress the trem. I then bring the screws down until they touch the trem plate. The visual difference is almost nothing but it does make a difference. I've had guitars that have carved a slight ridge in the finish where a user has been wanging away without the correct height adjustment.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Pa ... emolo.html

thank me later

standard strat trems are a PITA. The two point wilkinson is a thing of beauty and actually works.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Got it playing reasonably well today. It’s a bit of an anomaly though- measurements suggest it’s a USA trem (56mm spacing) but it’s definitely got a Mexican arm. I’m quite keen to try an upgrade block.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

I never use the trem on my strat. problem solved.
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.