Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Single coil
BANNED
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Re: James is blummin' well at it again

Post by Single coil »

Likely epoxy with the amount of dust and how good it smelt.
Why do they do this :sad:
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1295 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

That looks like negative fun

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

I have a blank slate now.

(Almost)
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

If filling in that stuff and making it look good is a pain, then just painting it black is an alternative

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

See how I go with the sander. I don't think it's the end of the world as far as clear goes.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

Feels like I've taken a long time to do any work, so here's a good hearty post full of pictures of all sorts (where "all" refers to an old ibanez, and "sorts" is the name given to a tele body I've been sent).

/dumbhumour

Let's crack on into it.

Ta da! Jack plate done. Now let's ignore it completely while I play with the tele body.

Still can't get over the grain on this thing, so prepare for about 400 shots of ... Grain. This is me trying to get rid of, or at least minimise the divots and dips.

Belt sander proved to be a little unwieldy for this particular task; eventually I thought "ya know, fuck it, let's do this old school" and this happened.

I mean, sure, my life became more difficult for the next 20 mins, but it worked really well. I managed to add the nice sort of pseudo bevel thing to the edges too, with my patented tele beveller.

One of the dings wasn't bevelling so well. I don't recall if I got it or not. I have a feeling if I hacked at it too much there'd be a square bit.

Glasses of course got covered in shit. It's usually a pretty good indicator, that when everything is a little hazy, you've either gone way too hard with the poly, or your glasses are filthy.

Shortly thereafter, I'd put them down somewhere and forgotten where. Ahh well. Needed a suitable noose like device for my next act, so I fashioned this.

Testing in progress. I guess this shot best highlights that it's a 3 piece. Looks like 2 in most other ... Everything else.

Actually, naw, we can do better. It's a nice day.

Clothes line is at a better height too.
Anywhore, I'd sanded it quite well with all the good stuff. I deemed it pretty enough to start lathering on the poly.

Heeding the wise words from jb in the goldtop thread, I carefully dusted it on every couple minutes.

It went a kind of peachy colour while it was wet.

Probably doesn't show in the pictures, and my descriptions of anything colour related should be taken with a pinch of salt anyway.

Urf. GRAIN. Almost looks 3d. Really jumps out. So good.

Oh, well ... Ok then.

Best relocate to a safer area.

The patent pending tele noose has an in built design ... Not flaw, the good one - it's super easy to move stuff you've just sprayed!
More grain whoring.

It was swaying a little. It was hard to take pictures of. But you know me, I'll give it a go.

YES.

This would've been just after one of the last coats, so don't fret about it being piled on too heavy. It's just the whole "it's wet so it looks dense as" thing.

Then I got really clever.
Rather than have it in danger of being hit by bits of old ibanez in the shed, why not put it somewhere it can dry AND be outside AND not get rained on?

Let's hear it for the back deck!

Aaaaaand that's mostly it for the tele, for today.

Ibanez time ... And not the good kind.

Super evident fret wear. Guess what it's time for, lads.

Ugh ... Yeah. This again.

So once again, using my oil stone (only the fine side today) and my "sandpaper on the weirdly cut block of wood" trick, I levelled and crowned the frets. They're getting pretty low, so it was tricky. It appears that someone before me has dressed them weirdly as it is; some are higher than others??

Bottom: filed and crowned. Top: That, and steel wool'd.

30 seconds before I took the picture, that buffing pad was white.

Piss it. Must've cut the wood too deep.

Pretty sure I didn't cause the .. Whatever's going on at this even numbered fret here. Look right in the middle - It's sort of ... Roundedly dug out?

Here we go.

NB: Dremel aren't paying me for any of this.

aaaaaand let's have a go at the gunk on our neck reverse.

Scouring pad, 400 grit, scouring pad again, and a buff, and the grain really jumps out in the right light. Somehow I think the buffing pad is mostly to blame for turning it black again. I did get the gunk off.

I'm not sure why I took this. Probably was admiring how well it turned out or something. All the bits are a damn site better than they were, that's for sure.

Then I started wondering a) why this was yellow, and b) how I could white it again.

Wouldn't hardly budge with any kind of compound. This picture also highlights the messy inlay glue job.

BLIMEY!

I think I went to the fridge about here. Thanks to my friend Drew for telling the blackboard I'm a nob.

Little details matter. Before and after.

Honestly, it's polish.

Same deal, before and after.

This was the longest putting the tuners on thing I've ever done.

Even with the wear, I think it's lookin' pretty good.

I missed this plastic credit card covering thing. Quick polish and in she goes. Not really sure what it does.

Dries clear?

Good.

(Just kidding, I got rid of all the excess)
This guy lookin' lush. In the hours I poly'd it, dealt to the ibanez, and went to a volunteer meeting at the cinema, the tele was still tacky.

... But I think it's lookin' real good.

Came inside to do something ... Forgot what. Complain to tardme about some dick giving me a neutral I think. Back out to the shed to deal to the jack and all his mates.

Wait ... No, maybe that's ... Oh who knows. Whatever. More grain.

Some bits of ibanez I couldn't help.

Huh, ok. So it's quite a cool looking thing when it hasn't been sitting in ... A ... Damp wardrobe? For 10 years.

Right. NOW it's time for these guys.

Nasty.

Pickup cover took a fair whack of persuasion to come loose. Sort of clicks in?? Once all the crap was off, it revealed a whole bunch of little nicks and scars from someone strumming rather enthusiastically.

After cleaning the HBs, I noticed the bridge was all scored - Sanded? Only one coil??

Neck too. Wtf?

KNOBS. HAHA.
Before and after.

Hmm, ground wire ... Came off in my hand.

Switch wires started falling off when I looked at them too, so I resoldered the offenders.

Jack's all in - Replaced the wire for it. It isn't a stellar job, but it was made by the guy who failed 3rd and 4th form hard materials from whatever was lying around in the shed. And it's functional. So I'm calling it a win.

And, for now ...

... That's all he wrote.

Waiting on the floyd to get here. It comes with the locking nut and shit like that, so all the flash new shit will go on in one hit, and then I get the glorious task of setting the damn thing up.
Fortunately I don't have to worry about getting the saddle heights right - Floyds by design are radiused.
Better match the poor guitar. :lol:

Actually looking forward to buffing up that tele too, hmm. Should be a good day tomorrow.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Bin to the loo and back while this page loaded... Cleaned up nicely (the guitar that is)
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

And here I was hoping for a

nah ok

No real news today - Left the tele body overnight expecting it to have dried, and started sanding.
It hadn't dried.
Had to take a good whack of it back to bare wood and start again, just at the time the shop would've closed too. Rrrrrrr.

More news on monday, unless I can get the ibanez to do a backflip.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

No backflip, but the electrics all pass the screwdriver test.
Pickup selection seems weird but I’m sure I’ll work it out.

Clanger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Clanger »

Great job on the frets.

That rockstar diabetes drink is tasty too.
Make Music Great Again

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

God yes, purple one is a proper vice. Goes on special alot.
My other favourite is this dodgy lookin' offering.

Tastes like generic bubblegum smells ... Sort of. So good.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

Simple updort:
Leaving tele to cure for as long as it takes. Sprayed it yesterday, properly, after sanding it properly again. Having felt in the neck pocket it still seems a little tacky 24hrs later, so it can stay hanging a while yet.
In an ideal world I would like to finish it by the end of the week, but I guess this is how it goes.

Still waiting on the floyd for the ibanez. Apparently I didn’t do the wee nuts on the pots tight enough and they’re loose.

Teething issues really.

Big picture updorts when the bits get here. I’m sure you’ll all love how much I hate trying to set up a floyd.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Single coil wrote: I’m sure you’ll all love how much I hate trying to set up a floyd.
They're a piece of piss. :rofl:
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

I agree, even adumbass like me can do it reasonably quickly :-)
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

while you're waiting, I would suggest you crown those frets more - and buff all the marks out of them.... just saying ;)

Way too much land left on there and you need to get all the marks out imo.

So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.