Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Single coil
BANNED
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Please help: Series/Parallel diagram for the colour blind guy

Post by Single coil »

Aite, so, ideally I'm going to have a push pull on the tele for the new rails.
The coil split (tap?) is pretty underwhelming. Sounds ok for recording but it's pretty naff for actual playing. Putting 2 and 2 together, my ideal setup is:

2x hot rails (humbuckers for arguments sake),
1x tone,
1x push pull volume (the pot positions will be reversed: volume closest to jack and tone next to switch),
3 way blade,
50s style wiring :D

The closest I've found is this, on the duncan website (I'm pretty sure gfs use the same colours for wires as SD; I know entwistle do) - I will confirm this tomorrow or when the pickups show up.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/wiring-dia ... ults-count

Can someone do me a black and white or otherwise labelled diagram not reliant on colour that addresses the ... requirements(?) above?
I can read them but I can't draw my own yet.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Single coil
BANNED

Re: Please help: Series/Parallel diagram for the colour blind guy

Post by Single coil »

Right. I lied about the colours being the same.

werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

No drawing required, words can explain it 100%:

Starting with the bridge pickup - 5 wires coming out of big black worm - from bottom to top: grey, green black, red white

Same thing for the neck pickup: white, red, grey, green, black

A few notes.... it looks like they use the screen to switch pickups in and out of the circuit and the green and grey wires are used as ground. I would have used the screen as earth and use green and grey to switch... Unintuitive to me but if that is how SD does it, well she'll be right I guess.

I would substitue the 0.047 nF for a 0.033 one. With the former sound will be too dark and on full it may cut volume out as well.

Why are they using 250K pots for hummies? I thought 500K was more appropriate?

Anyways, good luck. Just seeing your last post... so that shows 4 wires coming out which is what you would expect. The wiring diagram you provided the link for shows 5 including the black. Fuck, it is too late for this shit.

Much easier to draw it from scratch IMO
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

I'm thinking I'll piss around with the labels in paint or something and just mince about until it works.

How hard could it be?

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

jvpp wrote:No drawing required, words can explain it 100%:

Starting with the bridge pickup - 5 wires coming out of big black worm - from bottom to top: grey, green black, red white

Same thing for the neck pickup: white, red, grey, green, black

A few notes.... it looks like they use the screen to switch pickups in and out of the circuit and the green and grey wires are used as ground. I would have used the screen as earth and use green and grey to switch... Unintuitive to me but if that is how SD does it, well she'll be right I guess.

I would substitue the 0.047 nF for a 0.033 one. With the former sound will be too dark and on full it may cut volume out as well.

Why are they using 250K pots for hummies? I thought 500K was more appropriate?

Anyways, good luck. Just seeing your last post... so that shows 4 wires coming out which is what you would expect. The wiring diagram you provided the link for shows 5 including the black. Fuck, it is too late for this shit.

Much easier to draw it from scratch IMO
he's colour blind so it would be

white
black
grey
grey
grey

:rofl:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

Black white red copper

Tried wiring it, got a series noise out of neck HB but that's it.
How the hell has no one documented this before?
Or can I only do one pickup at a time? That would a) answer the question of "why the fuck won't it work?" And b) be a pain in the arse cuz I only have one push pull pot.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

Oh fuck me. Just found two master switch style diagrams that I can see.
Will update late as hell tonight if I'm still awake or tomorrow if I cark it early.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

I was listening to the radio yesterday, and they were talking about this app. It's for visually impaired people who need help when they can't see things. It's supposed to be fantastic. You should try it. The website is www.bemyeyes.com
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

I used to be on that, but I could never pick it up in time when someone needed eyes (if you ignore the colour malarkey, I actually have quite enviable eyesight).

I was pissing around with it until the small hours. I'm pretty sure what's happening is the push pull is behaving like the 4th position on a 4 way switch.
I.e, when it's pulled up, N and B rails are in series rather than the individual coils working against each other.

Quite a frustrating job but I'm not a quitter.

I will attempt a different diagram today (if it all turns to shit) before I start troubleshooting the whole bridge is a pickup too issue that seems to have popped up.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Single coil wrote:
How hard could it be?
Hahaha
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

Right??

Ok, here are the two magical diagrams I found.
I don't know how they're different (I don't understand it; I think one puts the switch before pots?) but clearly they are.

What I think is happening is the switch is trying to series/parallel both pickups in one hit rather than the individual coils, pointing more towards "I need another push pull to make it all work properly".

I'm using this harness diagram.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

Single coil wrote:What I think is happening is the switch is trying to series/parallel both pickups in one hit rather than the individual coils, pointing more towards "I need another push pull to make it all work properly".
I'm no electrical engineer, but based on common sense/logic... (yeah right)... you will need 4 wires from each pickup to do that. And no, you don't need a second push/pull pot.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Conway wrote:
Single coil wrote:What I think is happening is the switch is trying to series/parallel both pickups in one hit rather than the individual coils, pointing more towards "I need another push pull to make it all work properly".
I'm no electrical engineer, but based on common sense/logic... (yeah right)... you will need 4 wires from each pickup to do that. And no, you don't need a second push/pull pot.

What do you actually want to achieve?

The latter diagram allows you to switch the neck and bridge in either paralell or series. For serial/parallel switching the individual coils within a pickup you will have to use the 4 wires from each pickup wired to its own 6 pole switch.
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

jvpp wrote:For serial/parallel switching the individual coils within a pickup you will have to use the 4 wires from each pickup wired to its own 6 pole switch.
Surely I can do that with the push pull??

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

I'm backing out of this conversation. Getting too technical for me LOL.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz