Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 108 times

Luthier/ repair person recommendations

Post by Basket Case »

I'm looking for someone who can tidy up and glue a block into a cavity in a strat body, then re-route it.

Tried communicating with Glynn but communication doesn't seem to be his strength.

Any other recommendations?

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Re: Luthier/ repair person recommendations

Post by Danger Mouse »

A guy I work with is trying to contact Gene at G-Spot, but having similar comms issues (just in case someone else recommends him).
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Basket Case wrote:I'm looking for someone who can tidy up and glue a block into a cavity in a strat body, then re-route it.

Tried communicating with Glynn but communication doesn't seem to be his strength.

Worth a search on the forum as there was a whole series of Q&A on this topic recently. The guy at Zephyr, for example, came out with very mixed views.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Basket Case wrote:I'm looking for someone who can tidy up and glue a block into a cavity in a strat body, then re-route it.

How did you try and contact him? He basically does not do any online communications (silly as that may seem in this day and age). Seems very responsive by phone though.
Danger Mouse wrote:A guy I work with is trying to contact Gene at G-Spot, but having similar comms issues (just in case someone else recommends him).
Same question - just curious, as I used Gene a few times after Adrian closed up shop and he was very responsive by email and text. It was well over a year ago now though.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

Not a recommendation as I haven't taken a guitar there, but if you'd like to be a guinea pig, contact this guy and report back please!

http://www.binfordluthiery.com

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

slash-ed wrote:

How did you try and contact him? He basically does not do any online communications (silly as that may seem in this day and age). Seems very responsive by phone though.
Danger Mouse wrote:A guy I work with is trying to contact Gene at G-Spot, but having similar comms issues (just in case someone else recommends him).
Same question - just curious, as I used Gene a few times after Adrian closed up shop and he was very responsive by email and text. It was well over a year ago now though.
I called Mr Glyn last year and had no issues with communication - didn't go through with the work but only because I'm out of town and I decided to leave it to later.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

JHorner wrote:Not a recommendation as I haven't taken a guitar there, but if you'd like to be a guinea pig, contact this guy and report back please!

http://www.binfordluthiery.com
Trevor was trained by Benedetto so he has good luthiery chops but he's quite expensive too.

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Basket Case »

slash-ed wrote: How did you try and contact him? He basically does not do any online communications (silly as that may seem in this day and age). Seems very responsive by phone though.
Through Facebook. He gave a pretty vague response to my initial query and didn't respond when I asked him to elaborate. Not bagging the guy, maybe he just has a lot on and doesn't need/want extra business.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

I would try giving him a ring, that seems to be his preferred mode. I've only used him once myself but he was pretty helpful on the phone, asked a lot of useful questions and explained why he was asking them etc.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Danger Mouse »

slash-ed wrote:
Email, landline (answer machine is full) and mobile (no answer), so reasonably safe to assume he's not contactable at the moment.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Gene is pretty unpredictable with availability, but hasn't ever done anything but his best for my guitars. He's done all sorts of weird shit for me in the past, all at reasonable rates too.
Emailed glyn once and decided he was charging about 25% more than anyone else for no other reason than being operational on symonds street.
Oh ash our saviour, where for art thou.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Basket Case »

Single coil wrote:Oh ash our saviour, where for art thou.
I concur :(

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Danger Mouse »

Single coil wrote:Gene is pretty unpredictable with availability, but hasn't ever done anything but his best for my guitars. He's done all sorts of weird shit for me in the past, all at reasonable rates too.
My workmate isn't giving up on Gene, he's heard plenty of good things and just thinks that he may be out being a guitar tech for someone on tour at the moment.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

He does live sound for neil finn, I know that. Probably a bunch of other crowds too.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Show us a pic of what you want done... which cavity?
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.