Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

mitch311
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Been liked: 4 times

Push Pull Pots for Les Paul

Post by mitch311 »

Has anyone installed Push Pull controls for their les paul? I'm considering modifying my Gibson Les Paul Classic with them. I would like to make it more versatile, and be able to get a single coil clean sound from it. What are peoples thoughts on this? Would you recommend doing it?
Last edited by mitch311 on Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Re: Push Pull Pots for Les Paul

Post by Mattallica »

If you're not afraid of soldering then yes, go for it. Installation is easy enough to do and reversable. You won't get an exact single sound but you may still find it pleasing.

These are another fun option, they come in black or cream. I think there is white too but harder to find.

http://www.musicplanet.co.nz/seymour-tr ... l-set.html

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 837 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by jimi »

Higainer has a really nice LP, with (I think) 57 classics and push/pull pots for split coil. really nice single coil sound from the bridge when split. Would totally use that as a telecaster-ish sound when gigging.

It inspired me to have the same on my SG. Soldered it up myself, then traded some beer and wine to have it redone by someone who knows what they are doing.

Cool to have the options, and the tones are very useable, split for rhythm, full for lead sorta thing.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

I'd like to have it done to my LP one day, or the Page wiring maybe. I probably wouldn't flip through the configurations too much during a song but for certain songs or sounds, sometimes it calls for it.
Loving it so far

mitch311
Stagg
Stagg

Post by mitch311 »

Ok thanks for the suggestion, and I'll do a little research on that triple-shot set.
I think I'll either pay a professional to install it, or trade some beer like Jimi did to a mate who's experienced to install the push/pulls. If it was a cheaper guitar, I'd probably experiment and solder it myself, but not too keen to do it myself on this one haha

mitch311
Stagg
Stagg

Post by mitch311 »

StratMatt wrote:I'd like to have it done to my LP one day, or the Page wiring maybe. I probably wouldn't flip through the configurations too much during a song but for certain songs or sounds, sometimes it calls for it.
Yeah, I've been keeping it simple and only using my les paul for cover gigs. I think something like a PRS would be better for a jack of all trades guitar at cover gigs. The Les Paul suits most our songs though, and really sounds awesome for stuff like Gary Moore. But... for songs like under the bridge, funky music, drive etc... a coil split might make the Les Paul a more feasible one guitar solution

It's good to keep it simple though aye, and not having to be focusing too much on switching effects and using push/pulls. But just doing a quick coil split at the start of certain songs would be pretty simple

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

series / parallel is a good option to try. Parallel gives you a thinner sound like a single coil but still bucks the hum.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

^

Go parallel if you can.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.