olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Refinishing a Strat body

Post by olegmcnoleg »

I have a 90's US Fender Strat body that needs painting...some thug sanded all the paint off (before I got it). Am not equipped to do refinishing work. Anyone got any bright ideas for how/where to get a refinish done? Nitro would be nice...but I'll look at other options too.

I'm pretty flexible about the colour. It was black so maybe I should stick with that?

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: Refinishing a Strat body

Post by Molly »

olegmcnoleg wrote:I have a 90's US Fender Strat body that needs painting...some thug sanded all the paint off (before I got it). Am not equipped to do refinishing work. Anyone got any bright ideas for how/where to get a refinish done? Nitro would be nice...but I'll look at other options too.

I'm pretty flexible about the colour. It was black so maybe I should stick with that?
Nitro is still available but it's not like the nitro of old. Near impossible to get it to craze. I've an article on it somewhere if you'd like me to scan it? Also, it continues to dry for a good year so that lovely, glossy finish you start with sinks in over time and looks decidedly ordinary down the line.

Listen to what John Suhr has to say on the subject of nitro v poly. From 6:15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmJN_ZtP1_4&t=35s

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Molly wrote:
olegmcnoleg wrote:I have a 90's US Fender Strat body that needs painting...some thug sanded all the paint off (before I got it). Am not equipped to do refinishing work. Anyone got any bright ideas for how/where to get a refinish done? Nitro would be nice...but I'll look at other options too.

Nitro is still available but it's not like the nitro of old. Near impossible to get it to craze. I've an article on it somewhere if you'd like me to scan it? Also, it continues to dry for a good year so that lovely, glossy finish you start with sinks in over time and looks decidedly ordinary down the line.

Listen to what John Suhr has to say on the subject of nitro v poly. From 6:15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmJN_ZtP1_4&t=35s
Thanks for that Molly. I like the way nitro looks as it ages, it is not really a tone choice. But you are right about modern nitro, it seems less prone to cracking. Maybe I'd need to put it in the freezer :) ?

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

There is a guy on the North Shore called Andries Vorster who runs The Fret Shop. He is very knowledgeable about guitars and works as a painter so he will be able to help you out. I enquired about refinish prices earlier on and his prices seemed pretty good. Worth a shot!

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

When you ask about prices to get something painted in nitro, you think that it sounds expensive... Until you paint something yourself and realise how much of a pain in the ass it is!!!
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

AiRdAd wrote:When you ask about prices to get something painted in nitro, you think that it sounds expensive... Until you paint something yourself and realise how much of a pain in the ass it is!!!
not to mention that you are getting into cork sniffer territory also
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by H671 »

For what it is worth, here's some options.

http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Re ... _cans.html

http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/2 ... -aerosols/
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

You can buy nitro aerosols here and get them mixed to old DuPont codes. Let me know if you want the details.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Zaulkin wrote:
There is a guy on the North Shore called Andries Vorster who runs The Fret Shop. He is very knowledgeable about guitars and works as a painter so he will be able to help you out. I enquired about refinish prices earlier on and his prices seemed pretty good. Worth a shot!
Cheers, I'll give him a try.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

I can highly recommend Andries, who has just done my Jaguar repainting and did a fantastic job. He also does setups and everything else luthiery. Really nice guy who is pretty passionate about his work. He will talk guitars all afternoon if you let him.

http://www.guitarrepairs.co.nz
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Conway wrote:I can highly recommend Andries, who has just done my Jaguar repainting and did a fantastic job. He also does setups and everything else luthiery. Really nice guy who is pretty passionate about his work. He will talk guitars all afternoon if you let him.

Thanks for that endorsement, good to know he did not really paint "I Love Gibsons" in the neck pocket then. I'm taking my Strat body up to him at the weekend, along with a couple of other repairs I need doing. Will let folks here know how it goes, but so far I've only heard good things about this chap.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

olegmcnoleg wrote:
Conway wrote:I can highly recommend Andries, who has just done my Jaguar repainting and did a fantastic job. He also does setups and everything else luthiery. Really nice guy who is pretty passionate about his work. He will talk guitars all afternoon if you let him.

Thanks for that endorsement, good to know he did not really paint "I Love Gibsons" in the neck pocket then. I'm taking my Strat body up to him at the weekend, along with a couple of other repairs I need doing. Will let folks here know how it goes, but so far I've only heard good things about this chap.
I haven't taken the neck off to look, so maybe it does have that...

He even delivered my Jag from Torbay down to my place yesterday because he really wanted to have a look at my PRS Private Stock. Top bloke.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

Conway wrote:I haven't taken the neck off to look, so maybe it does have that...
I disassembled the Jag but got Andries to put it back together. Due to my soldering incapability (as mentioned previously).

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Molly wrote:You can buy nitro aerosols here and get them mixed to old DuPont codes. Let me know if you want the details.
I do! Or even just the raw paint to old Duco colours!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

GrantB wrote:
Molly wrote:You can buy nitro aerosols here and get them mixed to old DuPont codes. Let me know if you want the details.
I do! Or even just the raw paint to old Duco colours!
Details when I get home. What you painting?

I may Forest Green the Jag.